Ty Berry 6'2 G 2020 Newton, KS to Northwestern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
    I have to say I'm just not familiar with Newton High's program. Who from Newton has gone on to NCAA Div I success? Not trying to be snarky, genuinely curious based on your statement.
    http://www.varsitykansas.com/2011/03/06/18172/newton-was-basketball-royalty.html

The area between Newton and McPherson produces some real dynasties. They didn't keep up with the inner cities though in the last 30 years.
    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
      I have to say I'm just not familiar with Newton High's program. Who from Newton has gone on to NCAA Div I success? Not trying to be snarky, genuinely curious based on your statement.
      source: http://macfeesports.com/KSDIVI.htm

Note, this list has not been updated since 2012, but for the purposes of our discussion it should be accurate.

Year/name/high school/university

1921 Wilfred Belgarde NEWTON KANSAS

1923 Charles Miller NEWTON ARIZONA

1927 Forrest Cox NEWTON KANSAS

1929 Gordon Gray NEWTON KANSAS

1934 John Ravenscroft NEWTON COLORADO (KHOF member)

1936 Gene Grove NEWTON COLORADO

1938 Leason McCloud NEWTON COLORADO (college All-American)

1938 Paul Schmidt NEWTON COLORADO

1946 Sonny Enns NEWTON KANSAS

1948 Bill Lienhard NEWTON KANSAS (member of a Final Four team at Kansas)

1949 Clay Gray NEWTON CALIFORNIA

1950 Larry Davenport NEWTON KANSAS (member of a Final Four team at Kansas)

1952 Bill Brainerd NEWTON KANSAS

1953 Jim Cadle NEWTON COLORADO

1956 Dennis Walker NEWTON OKLAHOMA STATE

1960 Vernon Smith NEWTON WICHITA STATE (Yes, he was on our Final Four team in 1964)

1979 David Piehler NEWTON SOUTHERN METHODIST

1984 Todd Christian NEWTON OKLAHOMA STATE

1995 Kab Kazadi NEWTON WASHINGTON STATE

I remember Piehler and Christian very well. I knew Piehler's mother. Piehler was newcomer of the year in the old SWC his freshman year, then Sonny Allen got fired and he did not fit into the new coach's style well, but he could really fill it up.

Comment

Wasn't Ryan Hears and Steve Hinson from Mcpherson?
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

I was thinking former Shocker Doug Yoder was from Newton?

Comment

Originally posted by MadDog View Post
            I was thinking former Shocker Doug Yoder was from Newton?
            Absolutely correct. Yoder and Danny Knight really fought it out in HS. Knight went to Kansas and attended high school at Hutch.

I should have caught that one. I knew Doug very well. He was just ahead of me in HS and, of course, at WSU. We had a very good team during that era with Elmore, Mike Edgar and Doug. I had classes with Mike and helped him with class notes during the team's road trips.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
              Wasn't Ryan Hears and Steve Hinson from Mcpherson?
              Yes.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                Yes.
                Actually, from my generation and beyond, McPherson has been much better than Newton, mostly because of the Pyle clan.

Newton's program went downhill when they pissed Ravenscroft off and he left for Cali.

IIRC, he promptly took the school that hired him out there to back-to-back state championships.

By the way, I appreciated the article you posted and I can't resist tweaking you because I don't remember any Mc Pherson kids going to WSU. IIRC, Henson went to KU. At least we had a couple of kids from Newton who were on some really good Shocker teams. IIRC, in 1975 (?) we got beat by one by Michigan State, who wound up playing for the NC that year. The whole underseeding thing has existed for a long time with respect to the Shockers.

Since you're a McPhersonite, I'll be looking forward to you reminding me I'm wrong.....

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                  Actually, from my generation and beyond, McPherson has been much better than Newton, mostly because of the Pyle clan.

Newton's program went downhill when they pissed Ravenscroft off and he left for Cali.

IIRC, he promptly took the school that hired him out there to back-to-back state championships.

By the way, I appreciated the article you posted and I can't resist tweaking you because I don't remember any Mc Pherson kids going to WSU. IIRC, Henson went to KU. At least we had a couple of kids from Newton who were on some really good Shocker teams. IIRC, in 1975 (?) we got beat by one by Michigan State, who wound up playing for the NC that year. The whole underseeding thing has existed for a long time with respect to the Shockers.

Since you're a McPhersonite, I'll be looking forward to you reminding me I'm wrong.....
                  Henson- K-State

R. Herrs (Gatorade player of the year?)- Wichita St.

1976- Michigan (Lost to the Hoosiers in the Natty)

Comment

Hensen went to KSU as did Underwood (both McP grads). Alexander went to OSU in 94 (?). One of the Pyles from the 60s is my neighbor. He went to ISU. I think there were 8 brothers...everyone's related to a Pyle in this town. Another recent grad went to Utah St. There's a D-I Pyle in high school now and a pretty good Alexander kid too. I think McP has won something like 12 of the last 20 state titles in men's and more in women's. There was also the 1936 Olympic team that was made up of 50% Mcaphersonites (Global Refiners AAU).

That said, I'm from Augusta. I played high school ball with Chris Grill and my brother played with Reggie Smithson.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                      Henson- K-State

R. Herrs (Gatorade player of the year?)- Wichita St.

1976- Michigan (Lost to the Hoosiers in the Natty)
                      Thanks for the corrections. 1976 was 41 years ago....my memory isn't as good as it used to be. I remember watching the game, though. It was like the Louisville F4 game. Close and back and forth most of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                        Hensen went to KSU as did Underwood (both McP grads). Alexander went to OSU in 94 (?). One of the Pyles from the 60s is my neighbor. He went to ISU. I think there were 8 brothers...everyone's related to a Pyle in this town. Another recent grad went to Utah St. There's a D-I Pyle in high school now and a pretty good Alexander kid too. I think McP has won something like 12 of the last 20 state titles in men's and more in women's. There was also the 1936 Olympic team that was made up of 50% Mcaphersonites (Global Refiners AAU).

That said, I'm from Augusta. I played high school ball with Chris Grill and my brother played with Reggie Smithson.
                        Yes, but that's where you live now. So that's what I associate you with. I always liked Mac. Thought it was a great place. Not only that, you have a good sense of history of the community, as evidenced by your prior posts. I enjoy reading your stories.

Comment

Since I'm from that area and we're hitting some historic stuff, I went to a little country church southeast of Hillsboro. Out of that church with about 200 people, we had

Dan Suderman - 1930's AAU national champion team - Dan had a deadly two-handed set shot and was accurate out to about 17'. Times have changed
                          Larry Jost - Peabody HS 1965 - UTEP and has a NC ring.
                          Dennis Klassen - Hillsboro HS 1965 - Tabor College - NAIA AA
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                            Yes, but that's where you live now. So that's what I associate you with. I always liked Mac. Thought it was a great place. Not only that, you have a good sense of history of the community, as evidenced by your prior posts. I enjoy reading your stories.
                            Lived in Wichita my first seven years, then off to Augusta (which I still consider home) for my formative years. Seven years away at small colleges, but I've been in McPherson for 13 years now...Great community to raise a family and lots of opportunity for a career. It's also much nicer that Augusta.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              Since I'm from that area and we're hitting some historic stuff, I went to a little country church southeast of Hillsboro. Out of that church with about 200 people, we had

Dan Suderman - 1930's AAU national champion team - Dan had a deadly two-handed set shot and was accurate out to about 17'. Times have changed
                              Larry Jost - Peabody HS 1965 - UTEP and has a NC ring.
                              Dennis Klassen - Hillsboro HS 1965 - Tabor College - NAIA AA
                              I was not one of the better high school basketball players in my youth and quit due to injury when I was 16, but we had two D-I basketball players, one D-I baseball player that passed up a basketball offer to Harvard, two basketball AAs at lower divisions, and four other scholarship players at NAIA or D-II. We were pretty stacked! My senior year we lost two games; the 4A state final and we at McPherson (who won the 5A state final with an Alexander brother).
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Ty tore up the UAA U15's this weekend in LA. Here are his 4 stat lines from the weekend:

22 pts, 8 reb, 3 ast, 3 stl
                                20 pts, 3 reb, 2 ast, 3 stl
                                26 pts, 4 reb, 6 ast, 4 stl
                                24 pts, 6 reb, 1 ast, 2 stl

Comment

Working...
                                X