DeAntoni Gordon 6'8 F 2019 a Shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
    It's not completely blind, but a rating of 80 by ESPN means they haven't yet been evaluated.
    That's a good sign then isn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
      That's a good sign then isn't it?
      It ain't bad....it's just hard to know exactly what it means.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Deantoni scored 31 points against an Under Armour team today and 36 points against another team from Georgia. https://twitter.com/BAMAMIXTAPE/stat...55599879442435

Also saw an interesting tweet about Deantoni being in contact with WSU, Houston, UAB, New Mexico St and South Alabama. Still find these tweets to be strange for a committed prospect. https://twitter.com/Jr_OTRH/status/888787743827996673

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
          Also saw an interesting tweet about Deantoni being in contact with WSU, Houston, UAB, New Mexico St and South Alabama. Still find these tweets to be strange for a committed prospect. https://twitter.com/Jr_OTRH/status/888787743827996673
          You know a lot more about this area than I do but is it really that strange or surprising especially with a player who is a year and a half away from being able to sign an LOI?

My guess is this is probably not that unusual. IIRC, Fred VanVleet was approached by some other programs after his non-binding verbal commitment to Wichita State.

I was pretty much expecting this was going to happen with Deantoni and the Shocker coaching staff will have to work Deantoni hard and consistently to keep him true to his commitment until November 2018.

Comment

• In the minds of any number of coaches, Gordon's commitment to WSU simply confirms that he's a player worth having and validates their desire to flip him. We know if WSU got a commitment from him that NMSU will be aware of him, and of course the more local schools like UAB and USA will keep after him to try to stay home. For that matter, if he continues to be impressive enough, it would be no great surprise for Avery Johnson and Bruce Pearl to try to lure him as well.

Personally, I'm always of two minds whenever someone commits way early. The good news is that he's obviously interested and said he's coming, and if he's a young man of his word that's a plus, as we saw with FVV. The bad news is that lots of youngsters don't even really know what they want at this age and are subject to change, not because they're necessarily bad guys but just because they're kids, and a commitment a year or more before signing day just puts a target on them.

Comment

His recruiting was about to blowup this summer. Great timing for WSU and Isaac Brown!

This might be one of the earliest commits we've ever received. Evan Wessel also comes to mind but I think he committed during his junior season at some point.
              Recruiting about to blow up? I'd hardly consider UAB, NMSU, N. Alabama, etc. blowing up. Probably WSU commit has kept a lid on other schools spending too much time recruiting him.l and he is a 4 star.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                Recruiting about to blow up? I'd hardly consider UAB, NMSU, N. Alabama, etc. blowing up. Probably WSU commit has kept a lid on other schools spending too much time recruiting him.l and he is a 4 star.
                Or the bigger name schools are doing it under the radar to avoid pissing off 3G.
                You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                  Or the bigger name schools are doing it under the radar to avoid pissing off 3G.
                  Shenanigans are going to happen. You can't totally stop it, and he has friends and people from Bama who will have influence, but his commitment has probably put a lid on it some. This type of early commitment to a school far away wouldn't happen if Bama was a crazy basketball state. His commitment may not last. We will just have to wait and see.

Comment

• I find NMSU particularly interesting among this group.

Comment

• I doubt any of these schools are trying to "poach" DeAntoni. They're probably more so staying in touch just in case WSU goes through a coaching change or something of that nature. A lot can happen in a year and a half in college basketball.

Comment

• This is the first post in DeAntoni's thread on Shockernet. Three of the teams mentioned were mentioned back to the spring prior to his commitment. Houston wasn't mentioned but I wouldn't doubt, they had made contact with him, and South Alabama would have one of the first to make contact. Maybe, these teams contacting him aren't new at all.

"Offers from UAB, Cal Northridge, New Mexico State and WSU. 6'8 Power Forward from Mobile, Alabama."

That is not saying that other teams or new teams are contacting him, but the teams mentioned on the post above to question his commitment, may be old news.

Comment

I doubt any of these schools are trying to "poach" DeAntoni. They're probably more so staying in touch just in case WSU goes through a coaching change or something of that nature. A lot can happen in a year and a half in college basketball.
                          No doubt they are at least wanting to be in the picture if the the young man would decommit and it doesn't take a coaching change or anything of that nature for that to happen. Although a coaching change would probably do the trick.

Comment

• DeAntoni starting to draw attention. http://ontheradarhoops.com/otrhoopsr...ts-aug-3-2017/

Comment

• This kid is definitely legit. It wont surprise me to see quite a list of schools to offer, even with the verbal.

Comment

• Isn't Serrell Smith a recruit Coach Jones has been nuturing?

Comment

Working...
                                X