No announcement yet.

NJCAA Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keith Ramsey for OW is going to be a nice player at MU.

Comment

89-78 Indians advance to Hutch.

Comment

Get your tickets for the Tuesday evening session soon if you plan on going to Hutch. They will play the Kansas region 6 champs.

I also plan on going to see Anthony Brock and Itawamba CC at 1pm on Wednesday afternoon.

Comment

Anyone going to Region 6 tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by wsu789
            My last post was a little snippy, so let me rephrase.

I've been hoping that we would recruit a HS PG for some time. I've been surprised by our recent interest in a JC PG, given our early signing of Hannah, who I had always heard described as PG, not a SG. If someone has a better explanation for why we are recruiting a second JC PG, I would be interested in hearing it.

I certainly agree that one's ability to play the two does not necessarily have anything to do with their PG skills. The fact that one is not starting at the point, however, may indicate that those skills are not as honed as one's teammate who is starting ahead of them.
            Or that his skill advantage over the second choice at the 2 is much greater than his skill advantage over the second choice at the 1.
            The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

While those are plausible explanations, none explain why we are still recruiting junior college point guards.

Time will tell.
              Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

So soon?

Looks like the annual second-guessing and panic are setting in early this year.

There's an easy and obvious explanation, 789, why WSU would still be recruiting juco PGs that has nothing at all to do with Hannah's situation at Chipola:

a. After the debacle that ensued this year following Braeuer's injury, Marshall isn't going to risk another season without two established pure PGs. Hannah gives him exactly one.

b. Even on the plausible assumption that he'd prefer one juco and one high schooler -- and by the way, is that what the coach has said, or the assumption of our mighty gurus here? (I believe it's the latter, however plausible it may be) -- Marshall may not be 100% certain that, among those he's recruiting, he can sign a high school player that he believes will be worth having for four years. (I.e., if he loses out on the PG version of Adam Koch, he doesn't intend to settle for Chris Brown, just to take a recent example from the previous regime.)

c. Rather than taking a high school PG he doesn't really want just so he'll have someone, he'd prefer to have another juco PG that he believes really is worth having, and to try for another high school PG next year (or even a quality transfer).

Really, how tough was that?

Comment

One thing to consider is that Illinois State brought in two juco PGs last year. It seems to have worked this year.

But do they have anyone for next year?

Comment

Re: So soon?

Originally posted by WSUwatcher
                    Looks like the annual second-guessing and panic are setting in early this year.

There's an easy and obvious explanation, 789, why WSU would still be recruiting juco PGs that has nothing at all to do with Hannah's situation at Chipola:

a. After the debacle that ensued this year following Braeuer's injury, Marshall isn't going to risk another season without two established pure PGs. Hannah gives him exactly one.

b. Even on the plausible assumption that he'd prefer one juco and one high schooler -- and by the way, is that what the coach has said, or the assumption of our mighty gurus here? (I believe it's the latter, however plausible it may be) -- Marshall may not be 100% certain that, among those he's recruiting, he can sign a high school player that he believes will be worth having for four years. (I.e., if he loses out on the PG version of Adam Koch, he doesn't intend to settle for Chris Brown, just to take a recent example from the previous regime.)

c. Rather than taking a high school PG he doesn't really want just so he'll have someone, he'd prefer to have another juco PG that he believes really is worth having, and to try for another high school PG next year (or even a quality transfer).

Really, how tough was that?
                    Watcher, you completely nailed it! You made that post your Biatch. :good:
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Watcher has got it. I have heard someone on the staff say they'd like a FR PG but you don't want to be caught with no options and only one guy to run the point. We see what happened this year with that. If you have to bring in a JUCO guy so you have a backup PG so be it and then you can bring in a FR next year.

If Hannah is a SG like some of you are worrying about right now than we would have zero PGs on the team for next year and would be really screwed. The staff has never sounded that worried about it.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Won't we still have Michaels next year as a walk-on? He at least knows the system.

Comment

Precisely which part of my question indicated either panic or second-guessing? I've been posting on here for a decade and have never engaged in either. I am all for the coaches doing what they do best--recruit and coach--and for posters doing what they do best--engage in mostly baseless speculation. If anything, I'm questioning the posters who have said all year that we didn't need to recruit another PG because they thought Hannah was penciled in as the heir apparent. We are now apparently recruiting both HS and JC PGs. I'm certainly not questioning--nor have I ever--who we are recruiting or suggesting we should be recruiting someone else.

Michaels is a freshman so he still has three years of eligibility remaining.
                          Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Michaels is still a walk-on. If we rely on that I fear for our future.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                              Michaels is still a walk-on. If we rely on that I fear for our future.
                              I don't know, it worked for Drake.
                              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                              -John Wooden

Comment

Bret's name

By the way, guys, the name is Bret Michael (not Michaels). There's only one of him.

Comment

Working...
                                X