NJCAA Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RoyalShock
    Clevin got a guy in the air and drew a foul. Knocked down both FTs.

A couple of posessions later hit a nice baseline trey.

7 points so far.

Hannah got a layup on the break.

9 points.

It's pretty obvious to me tha Clevin plays more disciplined game than his teammates.
    You are spot on, Royal. Read my initial assesment and it sounds like yours.
    Because Denny Crane says so Dammit!

Comment

I guess Hannah's move to the 2 explains our interest in a JC PG.
      Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by wsu789
        I guess Hannah's move to the 2 explains our interest in a JC PG.
        His "ability" to play the 2 doesn't have anything to do with his PG skills.
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

OK. And you know this how?
          Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

My last post was a little snippy, so let me rephrase.

I've been hoping that we would recruit a HS PG for some time. I've been surprised by our recent interest in a JC PG, given our early signing of Hannah, who I had always heard described as PG, not a SG. If someone has a better explanation for why we are recruiting a second JC PG, I would be interested in hearing it.

I certainly agree that one's ability to play the two does not necessarily have anything to do with their PG skills. The fact that one is not starting at the point, however, may indicate that those skills are not as honed as one's teammate who is starting ahead of them.
            Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

I've been hoping that we would recruit a HS PG for some time. I've been surprised by our recent interest in a JC PG, given our early signing of Hannah, who I had always heard described as PG, not a SG. If someone has a better explanation for why we are recruiting a second JC PG, I would be interested in hearing it.

I certainly agree that one's ability to play the two does not necessarily have anything to do with their PG skills. The fact that one is not starting at the point, however, may indicate that those skills are not as honed as one's teammate who is starting ahead of them.
              But you also have to consider the team that Clevin plays on. This team is all D1 quality players without the grades. They would probably be very competitive in the MVC, let alone juco. He was the starting PG at the beginning, and maybe the coach thought he would be better off playing 2 for them. That doesn't mean he still isn't a great PG. The team might have needed him to play another position instead.

Comment

To nitpik just a bit, to assume that the one playing point guard is the better point guard is risky. It may be that the better point guard is tthe guy playing the 2 spot, but the best combo is to have them in this format as compared to having the two play 2 and 1 respectively. After all, it is a TEAM game.
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

We will find out after he puts on a Shocker uniform. I've been moderately concerned for a month or more.
                  In the fast lane

Comment

You can rationalize this all you want, and that is what it is, rationalization. Being the number 3 PG on a JUCO team should not give anyone a warm fuzzy.

Comment

I'm not worried. His versatility and ability to score is probably what lead to the move. I think too many of you are stressing over nothing.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I'm watching the game today.

Why he doesn't play more is beyond me but I have my own ideas.

He is going to be fine for us.

Comment

I have my ideas to WuDrWu.

I also agree that Hannah will be fine at WSU.

Comment

What is the link? Is the game still on?

Comment

It's still on, the link is on page 1 of this thread.

Comment

My feeling from watching the game is that they lack pure shooters (although #33 looked awfully good last night). Of the 4 PGs on that team, Hannah - from everything we've heard - has the best perimeter shot. So to get your best players on the floor you can move your PG over and rely on your backup PGs, who are much better PGs than SGs.

Now, from what I saw last night, Hannah didn't look to have a SG mentality. That could be partly due to their offense as I saw very little attempt in getting the guards good shots. They mostly came from the PG driving and dishing. The one 3-pointer I saw Clevin hit from the baseline was due to his defender sagging off too far.

When Clevin did handle the ball, he looked pretty good. I didn't see the quickness of Matt Braeuer, but I think he'll do just fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X