Stephen Hurt '14 c 6-10 offered to KSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    How many national championships have been won by teams without a true center? Is the goal to win it all or just to win the Valley?
    After a quick review, it looks like quite a few teams won championships without dominating centers.
    Last edited by proshox; October 2, 2013, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• I think we are seeing the challenge that lies ahead for Coach Marshall and Company, but I feel confident they can get it done. As you climb the ladder, you have to decide who you want to recruit, and it gets tougher and tougher. I have been coaching high school ball for 20 years and in my younger days I traveled the Midwest working camps and attending clinics. I have spoken with, gotten to know many college coaches, and the first thing they tell you is that with more success comes tougher recruiting battles. I worked Turg's camps every year and a year after he left, I spoke with Mike Rohn and asked him the toughest thing about going from WSU to A&M. He said it is simply that there are just fewer players capable of playing at the higher levels and the competition to get them is fierce. WSU is now recruiting against the big boys, and we will have some misses. However, lets not forget, when April, May, etc get here, there will be guys available, primarily transfers and even better, those 5th year transfer guys that are eligible immediately. It sucks to lose out on Hurt, but lets wait and see who they bring in before we have a coronary. Now, because of the talk about Bruce Weber, I feel the need to chime in. I am not a KSU fan or a hater, enjoy watching them play football, will watch them play hoops if nothing else on, but have no loyalties. However, I am a Bruce Weber fan. As I mentioned, I have talked with many coaches over the years and many of them are jerks, treat high school coaches like inferior objects. Kelvin Sampson is the worst I've ever met, guy was a complete arrogant jerk, acted like he was doing you a favor to talk to him and pick his brain. Weber, however, is a really good guy and ever since I was around him a few times, I have become a fan. He is a really good basketball coach, give him equal talent and he will beat most coaches. The problem at Illinois of course was the equal talent part and he screwed up his roster construction. If he learned his lesson, he will be fine at KSU. I don't agree with subgod that he will fall behind OU or OSU, at least not on a consistent basis. He will not reel in KU, unless Self leaves and they miss badly on his replacement, but he is a better coach than Ford, Drew, pretty much everyone in the Big 12 except for Self, Hugs and Kruger. He had less talent last year than Ford, Hoiberg, Drew and probably even Kruger, yet he went 7-2 against those teams. I see KSU struggling this season, maybe NIT, but adding Hurt for 2014-2015 to go with the Gtown and Maine transfers and the freshman PG and 2 guard they have, they will be good again.

Comment

It's said because KSU has a history, and so does Weber. I believe he lost quite a bit of his inherrited talent and will have to start building with his own and relying on his guys. KSU is not going to be competing at the top of the XII under Weber.

Look, he did great at SIU, then got worse every year at Illinois. You can pretty much expect the same at KSU as he won't have the benefit of such fertile recruiting grounds around him like he had at Illinois. Granted, he failed to land most of those kids anyway.
        The whole bashing Bruce Weber thing is getting pretty old.
        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Without Angel this year, K.S.U. Will struggle. Sprawling will have to be point.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
            The whole bashing Bruce Weber thing is getting pretty old.
            So is the whole defending Weber because he had success a decade ago at a school completely different than the one he is at now.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Sub, you seem to be on the edge lately.

Remember, how you told people to stop overreacting and calm down in the IBA thread? You should probably heed your own advice here. Yeah it sucks that we didn't get Hurt, but it's not the end of the road. Chill.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Thank you captain obvious for contributing nothing to this thread or discussion.
                Would you like me to count your "we are doomed" posts since Hurt committed to KSU and comment on their contribution to the discussion?
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  Sub, you seem to be on the edge lately.

Remember, how you told people to stop overreacting and calm down in the IBA thread? You should probably heed your own advice here. Yeah it sucks that we didn't get Hurt, but it's not the end of the road. Chill.
                  Hey, Sub! http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...900-s&tt=b

Comment

• Not concerned with Hurt. Our game didnt match his.

Really think we missed on O'mara.

Excited for this guard.

Comment

• LOL
                      In the fast lane

Comment

• What we've got for the post next year is Carter and Morris - and then a whole bunch of 6'6" and 6'7" guys. That's pretty much what took us to a S16 in 2006. We probably need a JuCo post for '14-'15. There's an entire JuCo season to evaluate.

We've learned long ago that post players are the slowest to develop coming out of HS. I have no doubt that there will be some JuCo posts who have breakout years and that the Shox will be in a good position with those players. Gee, the coaching staff might even know of some of those guys and might be wanting to wait until this season is over before going real deep on their recruitment of the remaining JuCo nd HS posts.

If the coaching staff is waiting to watch some emerging players, that would get some SN'ers panties in a huge wad
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Didn't we get Carl late because we didn't get Keith DeWitt?

Sometimes things work out for the good.
                          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                          -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                            Didn't we get Carl late because we didn't get Keith DeWitt?

Sometimes things work out for the good.
                            We got Carl in the fall.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• “I just think Kansas State is the best situation for me. I felt really comfortable with Coach (Bruce) Weber and (assistant) Coach (Alvin) Brooks. They have a real good staff. I feel like I hit it off with the team on my visit. They are coming off a Big 12 championship. It’s a great situation. What more could you ask for?”
                              Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/10/02...#storylink=cpy
                              Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                                Not concerned with Hurt. Our game didnt match his.

Really think we missed on O'mara.

Excited for this guard.
                                This is mostly how I feel. It isn't so much about Hurt as the other top bigs we've missed on and the list is looking less and less impressive. We desperately need bigs in this class if we want to be who we say we want to be. I feel that some don't believe what they say sometimes and they're content just being good when we can be great.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X