Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how big is this recruiting class gonna end up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mekel
    Hatch
    Preadom
    Durley
    Ellis
    Clemente
    Griskenas

Based on the idea that 2 or 3 more will come in, plus Orukpe, who of the 7 I listed above goes?

I know we need to get some talent in here, but I'm not sure I like the idea of only 4 players returning. We'll need some holdovers who know the system. I don't want to waste Hawkins and Hannah (we only get 2 years of their services) by totally starting over next year.

I could see one more (pushing out Hatch). Two if Orukpe doesn't get here or Mekel to go back home.

Comment

My guess is that Hatch, Durley and Mekel do not return. If there are 4, that would be Wendell. Likely a couple of the unknown incomers (is that a word?) would be juco sophs or juniors to break up the classes. Anyway, that's what I think and I certainly have no inside info. Coach's body language and substitution patterns speak volumes, though. A month or two back, lots of Shockernetters could not fathom Butler leaving.

Comment

Mekel will hopefully stay, and with him and Hannah we should have one of the better backcourts in the league.

Preadom I'm not sure about. He seems like one to keep due to his defense, and wouldn't be such a liability if we got some more scorers in.

Hatch I see going back to Arizona to be with his Fiance.

Ellis is going to stay. He will be ok, just needs time to develop.

Clemente is going to stay. He works his tail off. I see him being a very vocal leader his senior year.

Griskenas will be much better next year once he starts rehab and has the summer to become more confident playing with the guys.

Durley is the big question mark. I see glimpses of what he can do on defense, it is just whether or not he can discipline himself to maintain it for 40 mins. If he can, he could be the best 6th man in the league next year.

So my guess is 1 pretty definite (Hatch), 2 maybe (Durley and Preadom) being invited back, and 1 who may choose to go overseas (Mekel).

Comment

I also see Hatch moving back to AZ. No inside info but all the signs point that way.

I don't want to see Preadom let go, unless he initiates it. Tossing a senior aside for being unproductive is crossing the line, IMO. It should have been done before this year, if at all.

I agree about Mekel, Ellis, Clemente and Griz. They should be back.

I wondered about Durley until the Lutz column yesterday. I questioned whether he understood his potential or not. Now that I've heard it in his own words, I think he returns.

So, if there are no defections (ie, Orukpe, Mekel) I see one more player coming in. A juco PF, HS PF or HS PG, in that order of preference.

Comment

Are you a betting man, Royal?

Comment

I think that if I were coach, I would bring Mekel back. I don't see Marshall bringing him back.

Comment

Why does Marshall seem to almost go out of his way to praise Mekel on the radio?

I rarely hear him talk about Gal's deficiencies as a player, like he does some of the others like Durley and Hatch.

Comment

I think Gal is coming back, but that just my personally opinion. Gal would be a very good role player, he just not a good player when he has to carry the load.
                  Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Marshall said that Mekel has a contract offer on the table back home. I think he will take it. I think Hatch goes back home to be with his fiance. I think that either Mantas or J. T might not be back as well. Just my guess with no inside info.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                      Why does Marshall seem to almost go out of his way to praise Mekel on the radio?

I rarely hear him talk about Gal's deficiencies as a player, like he does some of the others like Durley and Hatch.
                      I can think of a few reasons. Perhaps he would like for him not to accept overseas pro offers. With limited playing time as a freshmen he was thrusted into a starting role as a PG, which was his second position and responded well after a couple of games. According to Marshall he is the hardest worker on the team.

Earlier in the season I certainly heard about his deficiencies of not really being a PG and use of one handed passes. I would say that although Gal has his own mind, he has worked on things that bothered the coach. Durley has probably not responded as well and Hatch probably can't due to physical limitations.
                      In the fast lane

Comment

The (in all likelyhood) unfortunate part of the equation is that we need Gal next year far more than he needs us.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Agreed.
                          In the fast lane

Comment

So, by deciphering comments on here, we are probably looking at the 4 coming in, plus EO maybe, plus 4 more in the spring signing period? I guess that's one way to change the program in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by calfan
                              Marshall said that Mekel has a contract offer on the table back home.
                              I'm not sure but I get the impression that this is "leftover" info that has just carried over into this season. There used to be an offer but is there still? I also wonder if the offer is still any good because he hasn't turned out to be quite the player everyone thought he would be.

If Gal goes back early, doesn't he have to complete two years in the Israeli military?

Comment

Every male in Israel has to complete it anyway. I don't think Gal's done it yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X