Max Abmas 6’0 G Oral Roberts Transfer to Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Regul8te View Post
    How do you pronounce his last name? Maybe someone should ask the ORU board.
    Maybe more than you asked for, but the name is German and uses a German alphabet. The German letter resembles a "B" but is actually pronounced like an "S"

How do you pronounce Max Abmas' name?

No, the broadcast isn't getting Abmas' name wrong each time he scores. Abmas is pronounced "Ace-miss," meaning the "B" makes an "S" sound.

Here's what we know about why Abmas' name is pronounced much differently than it looks.
    Why is Max Abmas' name pronounced the way it is?

Abmas' father said the "B" was originally a scharfes S, also called an Eszett. It's a German letter that resembles "B" but is actually pronounced like an "S."

Abmas' father admitted that it's tough to expect people to instantly know how to pronounce the name.

"Whatever people call me, I generally answer to it," he said in the interview.

Comment

Kevin Großkreutz is a great example (German soccer player). It’s pronounced GRAHS-kreutz for him.
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Max Abmas pronounced "Shooter or Maker"

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

The old silent "B", like .........well, I can't think of any, but I know a couple of B's that I wish were silent.
          I don't doubt it. But it's dumb. :)
          Last edited by Kung Wu; April 8, 2023, 07:29 PM.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

This would be a great week for even greater recruiting news. M. Abmas is the very top of my wish list along with many other foes with the same idea. Next, another solid younger pt. guard to take over the lead the following Season as even FVV did long ago. Three more bigs if KP stays and 4 more otherwise. One more excellent sf. These requests may seem large, but get it done so we can return to one of the best teams in the AAC as in the past.
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Bump, for good luck :)
              The Assman

Comment

Quick Money Texas vs playing for a coach that you KNOW shares your value system at WSU.

Quite the struggle for a young man to have to decide between a payday and his values.

Abmas needs to know that staying true to his values at WSU will result in the REAL payday in the NBA. Texas is small money compared to what is in his future. He should stay with a coach that will surround him with quality men with likeminded values. HCPM will keep him out of trouble, keep growing his game _and_ help him stay grounded and be prepared for the NBA.

Comment

Not to mention, the elbows he could run in town here would help his post basketball career
                  The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    Quick Money Texas vs playing for a coach that you KNOW shares your value system at WSU.

Quite the struggle for a young man to have to decide between a payday and his values.

Abmas needs to know that staying true to his values at WSU will result in the REAL payday in the NBA. Texas is small money compared to what is in his future. He should stay with a coach that will surround him with quality men with likeminded values. HCPM will keep him out of trouble, keep growing his game _and_ help him stay grounded and be prepared for the NBA.
                    Why would choosing Texas mean Abmas betraying his values?

Why would He not have same shot at NBA playing at Texas as he would with WSU?

He is going to get the playing time no matter where he goes. Also he has played 4 years already, What would the NBA see in a 5th year that would change their mind from what they saw after 4 years? Is he a potential draft pick this summer?

Comment

I don’t think WSU is going to lose Abmas based on NIL. I think that there is too much to gain for WSU’s athletic department and Armchair and the boosters know that. If Abmas chooses KSU or Texas, I think it will be because he wants to play in the Big 12 and/or he thinks that as much as he likes playing for Mills that he believes there is a benefit in playing for a different coach/system.

I hope he chooses the known versus the unknown. Mills and Abmas know each other as well as coach and player can. I bet they know each other’s favorite cookie as well as the really important things. From what Mills has said, Abmas is a real student athlete and I doubt that he needs anyone to keep him out of trouble.
                      Last edited by Shocker82/85; April 26, 2023, 01:19 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxing Me Softly View Post

Why would choosing Texas mean Abmas betraying his values?

Why would He not have same shot at NBA playing at Texas as he would with WSU?

He is going to get the playing time no matter where he goes. Also he has played 4 years already, What would the NBA see in a 5th year that would change their mind from what they saw after 4 years? Is he a potential draft pick this summer?
                        The party culture at Texas is ... uh ... _substantial_ to say the least. He will be surrounded by money-first teammates.

I didn't say he would have less of a shot at the NBA at Texas. He is likely to go NBA either way, and that's when the REAL payday is.

He knows for sure he gets extra guidance in a like-minded value system out of HCPM. Will he get similar mentoring at Texas?

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                          Not to mention, the elbows he could run in town here would help his post basketball career
                          Bad point to touch on. UT has way more big money alum to rub elbows with.

Does anyone know his major?

Comment

Biomedical Chemistry which fits perfect leading into one of our Masters Programs.

Comment

But do they care about basketball?

Would he get lost in the wash?
                              The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

But do they care about basketball?

Would he get lost in the wash?
                                I'm not debating those two points. Just the rubbing elbows point, and it isn't a good point to use. Shoxlax stated his major which aligns with a masters program at WSU. That's a good point to use. He may be one of the smart kids who puts value to his education. There are some still out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X