Jordan Goldwire 6'2 PG Duke Grad-Transfer to Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    In addition to being the only Duke player to make the ACC All-Defense team, Goldwire led the ACC in assist to turnover ratio, was 7th in the ACC in assists per game, and 2nd in the ACC in steals per game (which was also top 10 all-time in Duke history at 2.2 per game).

He isn't the greatest shooter, but was more efficient from the field than AG, although AG was much better at getting to the free throw line. AG also looked to shoot more than Goldwire (although also averaged slightly more assists than Goldwire, so initiated more offense across the board).

If we can get consistent scoring out of Tyson, Dex, Ricky, and Morris (which I think is reasonable), Goldwire not being a huge scoring threat is not a huge deal and he is really good at pretty much everything else (not much of a rebounder, which normally wouldn't be a big deal out of a point guard, but given our rebounding last year might be less than ideal if others don't step up).
    I’m still not 100% sold on Goldwire but I’m warming up to the idea. I’ve always lamented losing Lomax and Goldwire seems like a relatively similar player, stats wise. Like you said, his three point percentage is significantly better than Gilbert’s, he isn’t a chucker, he has a better assist to turnover ratio and is a better defender. Although I wish he was a better shooter he’s probably just what the doctor ordered for the team next year.

Comment

His 2019-20 shooting numbers are considerably better than this year (except free throws). Never saw him before but looks very fast with the ball and high energy on O and D. Numbers indicate pass first and he doesn’t turn the ball over. I really like Porter and Goldwire would be an instant D1 PG that will make Porter better as they battle in practice. I would be very happy with him.

Comment

SMH

This young man had more steals last season than all but 6 players in the history of WSU basketball. In only 24 games. Almost a 3:1 A/TO. At Duke.

Look, I'm all for reasonable evaluations and not overvaluing the name on the front of the uniform, but if this young man is interested in joining our program, we RUN not walk to Charles' private plane and get this kid to Wichita before the sun sets.

And if you don't agree with me, please seek immediate psychological and mental health help. As fast as you possibly can.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          SMH

This young man had more steals last season than all but 6 players in the history of WSU basketball. In only 24 games. Almost a 3:1 A/TO. At Duke.

Look, I'm all for reasonable evaluations and not overvaluing the name on the front of the uniform, but if this young man is interested in joining our program, we RUN not walk to Charles' private plane and get this kid to Wichita before the sun sets.

And if you don't agree with me, please seek immediate psychological and mental health help. As fast as you possibly can.
          Can I please seek immediate psychological and mental health help even if I agree with you? Just sounds like fun to me.

Comment

SMH

He looks very disruptive on D and the more I look at his numbers the more excited I get. Exceptional quickness with a solid handle and apparently consistently makes good decisions with the ball.

Comment

A playmaker who was on the ACC all-defense team and people aren't "sold" on him?

Comment

Originally posted by Teddy Graham View Post

He looks very disruptive on D and the more I look at his numbers the more excited I get. Exceptional quickness with a solid handle and apparently consistently makes good decisions with the ball.
                I thought our defense was good, not great this year. We didn’t create many turnovers so Goldwire would definitely help in that area.

Looks like Seton Hall, Maryland, Miami, and UNLV have all been mentioned as reaching out. I don’t know what their roster situations are but it’s hard to imagine they can offer the same combination of playing time and ability to compete for championships.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
                  A playmaker who was on the ACC all-defense team and people aren't "sold" on him?
                  Sounds like I’m the only one not 100% sold on him. Although I did say he’s probably just what we need next year even if I wish he came in with better shooting stats. So, maybe I am sold.

After watching our team shoot from long distance this year I don’t think it’s unreasonable to hope we bring in some makers. We do have plenty of scholarships left so hopefully we can get the best of both worlds by bringing in Goldwire and a sniper or two.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Sounds like I’m the only one not 100% sold on him. Although I did say he’s probably just what we need next year even if I wish he came in with better shooting stats. So, maybe I am sold.

After watching our team shoot from long distance this year I don’t think it’s unreasonable to hope we bring in some makers. We do have plenty of scholarships left so hopefully we can get the best of both worlds by bringing in Goldwire and a sniper or two.
                    How about this...let's get him and he will put the ball in the right hands of the right players at the right moment to shoot the lights out.

Comment

I haven't watched any video of him - but if he can provide anything close to the ball pressure that the Baylor guards did (especially Mitchell) - I'd be extremely happy.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

How about this...let's get him and he will put the ball in the right hands of the right players at the right moment to shoot the lights out.
                        I like the sound of that!

Comment

Hard pass

Comment

Sign me up for this one. Quick.
                            "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

SMH

Absolutely! 100%!!!

Luckily people on this board aren't in charge of recruiting and evaluating talent. We would miss on recruits....a LOT if they were.
                              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                                In addition to being the only Duke player to make the ACC All-Defense team, Goldwire led the ACC in assist to turnover ratio, was 7th in the ACC in assists per game, and 2nd in the ACC in steals per game (which was also top 10 all-time in Duke history at 2.2 per game).

He isn't the greatest shooter, but was more efficient from the field than AG, although AG was much better at getting to the free throw line. AG also looked to shoot more than Goldwire (although also averaged slightly more assists than Goldwire, so initiated more offense across the board).

If we can get consistent scoring out of Tyson, Dex, Ricky, and Morris (which I think is reasonable), Goldwire not being a huge scoring threat is not a huge deal and he is really good at pretty much everything else (not much of a rebounder, which normally wouldn't be a big deal out of a point guard, but given our rebounding last year might be less than ideal if others don't step up).
                                Say no more.

4 assists a game vs. what our most recent point guard averaged a game, against ACC competition at that? What in the hell is not to like?

Comment

Working...
                                X