No announcement yet.

Jordan Goldwire 6'2 PG Duke Grad-Transfer to Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try to look at WSU from Goldwire's perspective. There's a returning PG, there's a two-time D2 AA coming in. The AAC co-player of the year is expected to get some minutes at PG. That's not a really attractive situation for a one-year player.

There are 1,300+ players in or formerly in the portal. Exactly zero of them want to be anybody's third center. Especially any center who can defend and rebound.

I'm prepared to be underwhelmed by the last 3 scholarship commits. Wouldn't be at all surprising to see a project get a schollie. Only lost 2 significant guys from a conference champion and NCAA team. IB already has two guys coming in in the front court and the PG spot appears to be 3-deep already.

The Shox don't look like an attractive destination, but that's because a transfer may struggle to get minutes. Sometimes struggling to get players out of the portal is a good thing. Last year was a rebuild. This year is a reload. It's easier to get players out of the portal for a rebuild. With a rebuild players can see immediate PT.

Comment

Since we miss out on Goldwire, does IB look for another PG to start?

Comment

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
        Try to look at WSU from Goldwire's perspective. There's a returning PG, there's a two-time D2 AA coming in. The AAC co-player of the year is expected to get some minutes at PG. That's not a really attractive situation for a one-year player.

There are 1,300+ players in or formerly in the portal. Exactly zero of them want to be anybody's third center. Especially any center who can defend and rebound.

I'm prepared to be underwhelmed by the last 3 scholarship commits. Wouldn't be at all surprising to see a project get a schollie. Only lost 2 significant guys from a conference champion and NCAA team. IB already has two guys coming in in the front court and the PG spot appears to be 3-deep already.

The Shox don't look like an attractive destination, but that's because a transfer may struggle to get minutes. Sometimes struggling to get players out of the portal is a good thing. Last year was a rebuild. This year is a reload. It's easier to get players out of the portal for a rebuild. With a rebuild players can see immediate PT.
        Don't know that I totally disagree with what you are saying. I would hope that there are still talented competitive guys out there who believe they can contribute to an already good team and make it better. Or have we reached the point where ALL the good players are only interested in getting all the playing time possible and that's all that matters to them. I'd like to think that there's still a few guys out there who believe in being part of something bigger then just getting their own.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
          Since we miss out on Goldwire, does IB look for another PG to start?
          No one knows for sure, but I think that IB has told Porter that the PG starting position is his to lose, and that is why Porter came back off of the portal. Whoever else new comes in or has been here last year, will compete for playing time with him with Porter getting the first shot (partially because he knows the offense already).

That is no different than any other starters who return (Tyson, Dexter, Mo too). The position that is wide open is the 4 position, but I would think that Clarence would get first shot at that too, just as Porter will. Coaches know who is working hard during off season workouts, and that also is taken into consideration, although extenuating circumstances sometimes happen which have to be under consideration where a player has to be at home instead during June through August.

Comment

It's tough. On one hand, we need to sign a "project" center or big man that is willing to spend time to develop, maybe even redshirt. On the other hand, those guys - Seymour was the perfect example - think they are good enough to play. It's the same reason that Muscadin is leaving KU. They are good enough at the right level. Muscadin would be a 2nd or 3rd stringer here, same as KU. I hate to bring someone in that's not committed to putting in time to develop while watching from the bench most of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

No one knows for sure, but I think that IB has told Porter that the PG starting position is his to lose, and that is why Porter came back off of the portal.
              that's what I thought until we pursued Goldwire

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

that's what I thought until we pursued Goldwire
                So do you think Brown lied when he said that Porter was next year's starter? Do you think that Brown promised Goldwire that he would be the starter?

I don't think that little of Brown. I would think he guaranteed Porter first shot, if he does the right things and works hard, and he was honest with Goldwire that our starting PG wasn't returning, and that the best players would play. JMO.

Comment

I don't see how you promise one guy that he starts and promise another guy that the best players gonna play

Comment

All you’re promising is that returners get first shot if they work hard. Playing time should never be guaranteed.

if you take it to high school, returning players get first shot provided they participate in off season Weight and conditioning work outs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      It's tough. On one hand, we need to sign a "project" center or big man that is willing to spend time to develop, maybe even redshirt. On the other hand, those guys - Seymour was the perfect example - think they are good enough to play. It's the same reason that Muscadin is leaving KU. They are good enough at the right level. Muscadin would be a 2nd or 3rd stringer here, same as KU. I hate to bring someone in that's not committed to putting in time to develop while watching from the bench most of the season.
                      Muscadin would be my ideal guy because he appears to have enough skills to come in and contribute in the areas we need, 10 minutes of defense, rebounding and dunking lobs or put backs. At the same time he’s far from a finished product who could eventually be the main guy in a year or two if he works on his game.

Of course Pohto looks very talented as well so he seems like a great option.

The million dollar question like you said is are either interested in taking on a lesser role for a year while they develop and until the upper class men graduate.

As terrible, adequate, good as one might think Mo is, I think an outsider would look at what he did last year and see next years starter and main minutes getter. I guess the argument can be made that the backup minutes are still up for grabs because McFarlane hasn’t proven anything yet in practice or the games.

Comment

• We have no seniors on the roster ... so there are no "for sure" spots opening due to graduation. So as an incoming player, you could be looking at 2 years before you "get your time to shine"

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                          We have no seniors on the roster ... so there are no "for sure" spots opening due to graduation. So as an incoming player, you could be looking at 2 years before you "get your time to shine"
                          That being the case, it's good to see Mo has 2 years remaining, because until someone emerges he's pretty much going to remain the anchor on the front-line, just like he was this year. HCIB appears to be working hard to get Mo some much needed help down there.

6'5" power forwards aren't going to get it done in the AAC. Even the Valley has more formidable power forwards than that.

Comment

Working...
                          X