No announcement yet.

Alex Rivas - Committed to South Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right now, we have only two scholarship players in our sophomore class. Adding a player or couple players to that graduating class makes sense in several ways. I dunno where the scholarships come from, though.

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock
      Originally posted by wufan
      He showed up to a WSU game and sat behind the bench. That only eludes to the rumor that he may be interested in the program. None the less, that makes him worth discussing on the recruiting thread.
      I'm all for the discussion. My only issue was that H20Shock was supporting his argument with the point that Turgeon was recruiting Rivas and that the decision to recruit him justified the recruiting of guys like this as worthwhile. I just thought he was factually wrong.

This thread has led to a great discussion about what it is we think makes WSU successful now and whether or not we think it will continue to make us succesful in the future. Keep the discussion going but try to keep the facts straight while we do it.
      1. H20Shock did say "if" Turgeon is recruiting him.
      2. Verbatim said that he was sitting behind the WSU bench at a recent game, which pretty much answers the "if" part of the equation. You don't get those seats unless you are being recruited.
      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl
        Originally posted by tgcshock
        Originally posted by wufan
        He showed up to a WSU game and sat behind the bench. That only eludes to the rumor that he may be interested in the program. None the less, that makes him worth discussing on the recruiting thread.
        I'm all for the discussion. My only issue was that H20Shock was supporting his argument with the point that Turgeon was recruiting Rivas and that the decision to recruit him justified the recruiting of guys like this as worthwhile. I just thought he was factually wrong.

This thread has led to a great discussion about what it is we think makes WSU successful now and whether or not we think it will continue to make us succesful in the future. Keep the discussion going but try to keep the facts straight while we do it.

1. H20Shock did say "if" Turgeon is recruiting him.
        2. Verbatim said that he was sitting behind the WSU bench at a recent game, which pretty much answers the "if" part of the equation. You don't get those seats unless you are being recruited.
        I took H20Shock's "if" to be part of the clause that supported his argument, i.e. an if/then statement. ("If he is being recruited, then he must be the kind of player we want). Perhaps he meant simply as a question of uncertainty ("IF is he being recruited). I'm still not sure which but the context made it sound like and if/then argument.

Your point about Rivas being behind the bench is something I didn't know. Maybe MT is recruiting him, in which case I am sure he has the qualities we are looking for.

Again, my argument is not for or against any particular player but against the assertion that we will lose against BCS type programs if we don't get the huge athletic centers.
        The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
          I don't know who you guys think I am but my personality is definitely not that of a "small-minded" guy who carries a chip on his shoulder. I am competitive and try to be the best at everything I do and have had a fair amount of success in my life. When I think of Wichita State being where I want them it is not as David in a David vs. Goliath battle. I want WSU to be Goliath. Maybe you enjoy listening to people refer to our team as a bunch of "little kids from Wichita" but I surely don't. We are severely under-sized and if you think that isn't a HUGE factor over the course of a year than you need to do some more research. Yes, we barely beat LSU and survived a torrid comeback by SU but it was clearly evident in the 'Cuse game that we were at a disadvantage in the paint. It was also very clear that SU was a very lazy team. If they would have played all game like they did the last 10 minutes I don't think we would have gotten the win.

Enjoy the wins but don't let them go to your head. We are nursing a very big deficiency on the post in regards to size and it will surely come back to haunt us a couple times this season statistically. Maybe we don't lose too many games because of it thanks to our unbelievable guard play but there will be some statistical disparities that will leave us shaking our heads. Last year all everybody could talk about was Paul Miller because he was a "legitimate" big man. Paul brought us a lot of love and respect and wins. Mark knows we need size and he is trying very hard to bring it to us.

Don't lose perspective when discussing Billy Packer'itis. Billy Packer wants the "club" to remain exclusive, I do as well. I just want WSU to earn an invitation like Gonzaga did. I, like you still want "stars" in college basketball. Why do you think you got so excited when we scheduled LSU or SU? I just want WSU to become one of those stars and I think we can.

T

...8)
          Size Matters 8)

But if you don't have it, then the Turgeon method is vital for basketball satisfaction :whistle:
          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

6'10" 230 PF. Class of '08 and being recruited by Miami-FL, UNLV, Pitt, Utah and Wichita State.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
              6'10" 230 PF. Class of '08 and being recruited by Miami-FL, UNLV, Pitt, Utah and Wichita State.
              Sounds good plus hes class of 08 so we should have a schollie from him.

Any word on intrest
              and also we do have a couple of guys this big how does he compare.

also was that last question stupid?

any ways sounds like a pick up especially if we can grab him from those other schools

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
                Originally posted by SubGod22
                Sounds good plus hes class of 08 so we should have a schollie from him.

Any word on intrest
                and also we do have a couple of guys this big how does he compare.

also was that last question stupid?

any ways sounds like a pick up especially if we can grab him from those other schools
                He has medium interest in the Shox. He is one of the biggest players the Shox have been recruiting for the 08' class.

Comment

Biggest as in height

or biggest as in this is one guy we are trying to get for 08 the most?

hahaha

im bored sorry

Comment

Wow! What a difference a month makes.

Rereading this thread is pretty amazing regarding the discussion on our need for a big man.

Does anyone have any updated status on this guy? Is he still on our radar screen? Are we still on his?

Buehler? Buehler? Anyone?
                    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Alex's rebounding stats really fell off near the end of the year. His point production was pretty low all year. I don't know if an injury or another factor occurred. Could not find information on minutes played in each game, but he did play throughout the year. He did not make Jayhawk West all conference or honorable mention teams. There has not been a Juco Juntion update on him.

The only other info I have that I don't think has been mentioned is he from the Dominican Republic.
                      In the fast lane

Comment

Re:

* He's only been playing organized basketball for a couple of years.

* A lot of raw potential. A VERY athletic big man who can run the floor (he's no Ryan Bradley.)

* Great shot blocker and rebounder.

* He actually attended two games in Koch this year.

* Nicest kid you'll ever meet.

Comment

As a foreigner, does he have to actually graduate from Pratt before going to D-1? Or is he like a HS qualifier that could transfer to D-1 after his freshman year?

Comment

re:

PCC is playing at 5pm Sunday at Koch Arena in the Jayhawk Conference tournament.

The other guy from PCC to watch is 6'5" Kevin Goffney. He's a Sophomore getting recruited pretty heavily. He's a poor man's PJ Cousinard . . . can really score and rebounds well for his size. Nobody plays harder than this guy.

Comment

This article adds Utah State to schools that are recruiting Alex. His coach says that they didn't need him to score a lot this season but will look for more points from him next year. Averaged 4.8 ppg and 9.3 rebounds.
                              In the fast lane

Comment

The June 17th article from JucoJunction still has Wichita State being interested in Rivas-Sanchez. It adds Texas A&M, Florida Atlantic, West Virginia and Miami (FL) as being interested. Not mentioned this time are UNLV, Utah and Utah State. I'm thinking our new staff has some follow up interest in him.
                                In the fast lane

Comment

Working...
                                X