Men's Outdoor Track thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men's Outdoor Track thread

I thought I'd start this topic and try to give some updates throughout the season. The WSU men should be one of the favorites to win the MVC Outdoor title this spring.

They opened their season at Tulsa - looks like it was only a partial squad but there were some terrific results, especially from the throwers.

TULSA, Okla. -- The Wichita State University track and field team won nine events and had three athletes meet NCAA regional qualifying marks at the Tulsa Duels on Saturday at the Hurricane Soccer and Track Stadium on the campus of the University of Tulsa.

Freshman Trudo threw 214 in the javelin! Thats far!

I appreciate the effort. It's tough to get a lot of updates on the T&F team. The men do seem to be solid this season although it's hard to expect much improvement over a 3rd place finish in the indoors.

I will concede the men were only a few points out of 2nd.

Comment

What one of the guys told me from the track team:

Last year WSU lost to UNI indoors by about 140 points.
      Then they lost outdoors by about 50 points.

This year they lost indoor by I think 40 points.
      They have more than 40 points in the javelin and discus combined.
      They also redshirted some key athletes this indoor season.

I think this is the reason for optimism for an outdoor title.

UNI is going to be tough though and it looks like SIU is better (they had an awesome indoor MVC meet) and you can't forget about Indiana State. Its a real balanced conference this year.

Comment

WSU is lucky to have Steve Rainbolt as the head Fred.

I've always loved track and field.

I think it competes with women's softball for the # 5 NCAA sport.

WSU has had a great set of athletes in cross country and track and field.

1. Football
        2. Men's basketball
        3. Baseball
        4. Women's basketball
        5. Track and Field
        6. Softball
        7. Soccer ?

Comment

For the one who said mens outdoor does not have a chance, you do not know alot about track and field apparently. WSU bye far has the strongest jav squad in the conference. The Jav guys alone have a shot to score alomost 30pts outdoor. O and we do have the one of the top hammer throwers and the top discus thrower in the conference. Those events are not indoor. So you may want to think a little more before you talk. The men have a very very good chance of taking the outdoor title.

O and Track and Field is def. a better sport and ahead of womens basketball!

Comment

Originally posted by ABC

1. Football
            2. Men's basketball
            3. Baseball
            4. Women's basketball
            5. Track and Field
            6. Softball
            7. Soccer ?
            I'm quite proud of our solid athletes across all sports.

But where would you put volleyball?

Personally, I'd have it right behind baseball. But from an NCAA perspective, it's probably right behind WBB.

wsufield, welcome to the board. But I have to say, I don't see where anyone said men's outdoor doesn't have a chance. I guess WuDrWu's post might be contrued as such, but it would be a very long stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by wsufield
              For the one who said mens outdoor does not have a chance, you do not know alot about track and field apparently. WSU bye far has the strongest jav squad in the conference. The Jav guys alone have a shot to score alomost 30pts outdoor. O and we do have the one of the top hammer throwers and the top discus thrower in the conference. Those events are not indoor. So you may want to think a little more before you talk. The men have a very very good chance of taking the outdoor title.

O and Track and Field is def. a better sport and ahead of womens basketball!
              I guess I ruffled the feathers of a jav thrower. No offense intended and I don't think myself or anyone said they didn't have a chance. I was and am appreciative of the information because as I said, in depth analysis of T&F is tough to come by......

Are there other events contested outdoors that aren't contested indoors and vice versa?

Comment

Indoor events vs Outdoor events

Indoor 3000m, outdoor 3000m steeplechase
                Indoor 60m hurdles, outdoor 110m hurdles (100m hurdles for women)
                Indoor Heptathlon, outdoor Decathlon (for men, Pent/Hept for women)
                Indoor Distance Medley, outdoor 4x100m relay
                Indoor Weight throw, outdoor Hammer
                Indoor Mile, outdoor 1500m

Outdoor also has: 10,000m, Discus, Javelin, and 400m hurdles.

Comment

Many heartfelt thanks '74. Please feel free to educate or continue updates as often as you like or whenever possible.

It is mucho appreciado.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                    Originally posted by ABC

1. Football
                    2. Men's basketball
                    3. Baseball
                    4. Women's basketball
                    5. Track and Field
                    6. Softball
                    7. Soccer ?
                    I'm quite proud of our solid athletes across all sports.

But where would you put volleyball?

Personally, I'd have it right behind baseball. But from an NCAA perspective, it's probably right behind WBB.

wsufield, welcome to the board. But I have to say, I don't see where anyone said men's outdoor doesn't have a chance. I guess WuDrWu's post might be contrued as such, but it would be a very long stretch.
                    Good point. Volleyball has to be up there, based on attendance alone.

Comment

Shocker track and field has an amazing squad this year! If all goes well WSU should have a handful of All-Americans by June.

Comment

Originally posted by wsuboss
                        Shocker track and field has an amazing squad this year! If all goes well WSU should have a handful of All-Americans by June.

That sounds fantastic! Can you provide a short list of athletes that we should pay attention to and maybe what kind of time or distance that they are looking to achieve?

Thanks!

Comment

To expand somewhat on the info provided by goshox74.

Events Exclusive to the Indoor Season:
                          Pentathlon - Women
                          Heptathlon - Men
                          Weight Throw - M&W
                          3,000 Meter Run - M&W
                          1 Mile Run - M&W
                          60-Meter Dash - M&W
                          60-Meter Hurdles - M&W
                          Distance Medley - M&W

Events Exlcusive to the Outdoor Season:
                          Heptathlon - Women
                          Decatholon - Men
                          Hammer Throw - M&W
                          Javelin Throw - M&W
                          Discus Throw - M&W
                          10,000m Run - M&W
                          3,000m Steeplechase - M&W
                          1,500m Run - M&W
                          100m Hurdles - Women
                          110m Hurdles - Men
                          100m Dash - M&W
                          400m Hurdles - M&W
                          4 x 100m Relay - M&W

Events Common to both Indoor & Outdoor Track:
                          High Jump - M&W
                          Long Jump - M&W
                          Triple Jump - M&W
                          Shot Put - M&W
                          Pole Vault - M&W
                          200m Dash - M&W
                          400m Dash - M&W
                          800m Run - M&W
                          5,000m Run - M&W
                          4 x 400m Relay - M&W

My list is essentially the same as goshox74 except he did not mention the 60m dash indoors vs the 100m dash outdoors. I have also added the list of events common to both Indooor and Outdoor track.

Comment

Boy, it's a shame Justin Taylor got a NH in the high jump.

Even a 5'4" (over a foot lower than his MVC indoor performance) height would put him in a solid 4th place and a repeat would have put him neck and neck for 3rd.

This event features Tom Pappas, 5th in the 2000 Olympics and multiple National champion. Also Darius Draudvila is a former K State athlete who happens to be the Estonian national champion. Estonia is known for their decathletes, such as the 2000 Olympic champion Erki Nool.

Comment

Coach Rainbolt was on the Shocker Report tonight and he said he very much expects his Men's team to contend for the MVC Outdoor Championship this spring.

In addition, to being very strong in the long throw (hammer, javelin and discus) that are not part of the indoor season he said he had a couple of quality sprinters who redshirted the indoor season, but will be available for the outdorr season.

He also spoke very highly of Sophomore Chris Dickman, the heptathlete/decathlete out of Grinnell, Kansas. He said he had never heard of Chris until he poked his head into Coach Rainbolt's office one day and said he wanted to be a decathlete. Not only is he a walk-on, but an unrecruited walk-on. He was attending WSU on an engineering scholarship, so he is a very bright young man. Coach Rainbolt said his progress and improvement have been tremendous.

Reminds me a little bit of how Desiraye Osburn came out of nowhere to become one of the all-time great Shockers.

Comment

Working...
                              X