No announcement yet.

Men's Outdoor Track thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also forgot to put Slupkowski, Taylor and Dickman are within 300 points of first after the first day of the decathalon.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

The Shockers lead heading into the final day but Northern Iowa has a lot of firepower left, it looks like a 2-way battle with them for the title. Lot of outstanding performances, the javelin competition was great with 3 guys over 220 ft and Becker winning on his last throw and Trudo almost overtaking the UNI guy on his last throw.

Shocker qualified into the finals in every event on the track. Goshockers.com is giving live updates throughout the day if anyone wants to check it out.

Comment

MVC

That javelin competition was intense. It was the coolest thing ever!! The shockers have alot of move up points going into the final day. It will be an absolute battle today for the team title, but I think the Shockers can prevail!! Huge point swing is possible in the mens discus and triple jump. We'll see how it goes. Defending champion DePaul Brewer and Girts Azis compete today. Also, Beau Morris is entering as the favorite in pole vault. Lets see if these seniors have the determination to make it happen!!!

Comment

The Shockers gave UNI all they wanted but came up a little bit short. WSU only had two champions (Beau Morris - PV, Kyle Becker - Javelin) but they had lots of scoring places. Terrific year for the team, hopefully some of these guys will do well at Regionals in 2 weeks and advance on to nationals. Great job guys!

Comment

Some great stuff for the Shockers at the NCAA Regionals at Lincoln, Nebraska this past weekend:

--Our javelin guys showed they are probably the best group in the midwest, if not the nation, by going 3-4-6 with Brett Trudo, Kyle Becker, and Dane Stember. If John Goldsmith wouldn't have been injured this year they would've had 4 of the top 7 in a region that includes all of the Big 12. Trudo and Becker qualified for regionals while Stember will have to wait and see if he makes at-large.
            --Girts Azis only finished 11th but he still has a chance to make NCAA's, I think he's about 27th on the list and thats just about where the cutoff usually is.
            --The rest of the Shockers didn't do well enough to qualify but had great seasons nontheless.

Official entries for the NCAA meet come out tomorrow.

Comment

Tough day for the javelin guys at NCAA's. Brett Trudo threw 207 to finished 14th (top 12 make finals) and Kyle Becker, battling injury, struggled and didn't make finals.

Still a great year for both guys and Trudo still has 3 more years to go!

Comment

How can Drake host the NCAA track championships?

Doesn't WSU have a good enough facility to host one too? Maybe they should bid on it.

Comment

Drake has a fantastic outdoor track facility that has been host to the historic Drake Relays annually. If you've ever attended the Drake Relays you would understand why Drake would be a great host. Kind of like Omaha for baseball in terms of fan support and support for the sport of track. They are also hosting the USA Championships in 2010.

WSU used to host larger national-type meets in the 60's and 70's, and while Cessna Stadium is a terrific venue for meets still, it doesn't compare to Drake, Oregon, Sacramento, Arkansas, etc. where many of the big meets are now. Hosting the state meet is great for WSU but to host large NCAA and international meets they would have to put some money into improvements in my opinion.

Comment

Now here is a couple of smart, motivated young men. No basket weaving majors here.

NOTRE DAME, Ind. - Wichita State University track and field athletes Chris Dickman and Scott Reed were named to the ESPN The Magazine Academic All-America Second and Third Teams, respectively, as selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America.

Congrats to Chris and Scott.

:clap:

Comment

FYI, Brett Trudo and WSU throws coach John Hetzendorf throw in the Olympic Trials Friday in Eugene, Oregon. Also former Shocker Chandra Andrews competes in the hammer throw prelims Thursday. I believe the top 12 make the finals which are 2 days later.

Hopefully Dorf and Trudo will produce some July 4th fireworks!

Comment

Coach Hetzendorf qualified for the finals Sunday in the javelin by placing 6th in the prelims. GO DORF!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by goshox74
                          Coach Hetzendorf qualified for the finals Sunday in the javelin by placing 6th in the prelims. GO DORF!!!!!

Thanks '74. I have been supremely dissappointed in the coverage of the trials.
                          Often times the Olympic Trials are more competitive than the Olympics themselves.

Are any of the field events available for viewing, live or at all?

I assume top 3 make China, correct? Any chance for Coach?

Thanks again for the coverage!

Comment

The USA Network has been covering the trials pretty well each night. Its on NBC this weekend. As is usually the case, the field events don't get much publicity, and with the top guy out of the meet in the javelin (Breaux Greer), the men's javelin won't get much more than a short highlight I'm sure. NBColympics.com has some video clips of the meet.

Coach has a shot at it, but he's going to need to get the 'A' qualifying standard which is around 265', and finish in the top 3. The event is much more competitive than it has been in recent years. It only takes one big throw though!

Comment

Coach Hetzendorf finished 8th in the javelin finals. Congrats on a great season Dorf!

Comment

'74,

I noticed the WR is just over 98M.....Coach threw just over 70M and the top qualifier I think was around 78M and even Breaux, who tried to qualify injured, has the American record around 83M (I think).

That is a huge % difference from the AR to the WR and even worse from today's American best to the WR. Is that a reflection of the change in the actual javelin that I have a memory that happened sometime in the last 10-20 years or is it simply there aren't that many field athletes in our country anymore and we just aren't that good?

Comment

Working...
                                X