No announcement yet.

Men's Outdoor Track thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm curious if anyone knows what kind of team we sent to Sacramento State this weekend.

There were some good results but also some notable absenses like Kellyn Johnson.

Was this a "split squad" or closer to a full team?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
      I'm curious if anyone knows what kind of team we sent to Sacramento State this weekend.

There were some good results but also some notable absenses like Kellyn Johnson.

Was this a "split squad" or closer to a full team?

Thanks
      I'm not sure if Kellyn is hurt or just needs some rest but I think Coach Rainbolt said she was redhirting the outdoor season this year.

Comment

I believe WSU sent a limited crew to Sacramento. It looks like more men went than women, maybe because the men's team is slightyly better right now.

Great opener for Justin Cole, winning the 400 after redshirting the indoor season and then anchoring the winning 4x4. 3:12 this early is a great run for those guys!

Doesn't look like Girts Azis went to this meet (he doesn't compete much this early in the season) but the other distance runners did well (Scott Reed, Arturs Lazdekalns).

Kyle Becker threw 217 in the javelin and beat freshman Brett Trudo who went 207. Another 195 throw for Dane Stember. So far 4 guys have thrown at least 195 feet this year for WSU! Wow!

Juco transfer Bryan Tapia threw 164 in the discus, which appears to strengthen an already studly throws group.

This week they go to Emporia, I assume its still not going to be a completely full squad until KT Woodman (WSU's home meet April 12).

I'll comment on the women's team in the women's forum.

Comment

Overall, several good performances this weekend at the Nike Elite. Many more good things to come in the next few weeks. It will be exciting to see what happens in Emporia this weekend. The weather looks decent for once! Lets hope they're right.

Comment

Shockers sign 5 more men to get to 8 for the season so far ...

WICHITA, Kan. - The Wichita State University track and field team inked eight more high school athletes to National Letters of Intent for the 2008-09 academic year. Five men and three women are included in the latest group of signees.

Great job to Coach Rainbolt and his staff!

Comment

The male high-jumper (6'-9") and female pole-vaulter (11'-7") have impressive personal bests for high-school juniors.

Comment

Looks like our T&F team is gaining momentum.

Too bad there are so few opporunities to actually get out and see them.

Anyone have a time machine. If so, maybe we could go back and recruit this local boy. I hear he was decent:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

USA Jim Ryun breaks the world record in the mile with a time of 3:51.1 in Bakersfield on June 23, 1967

Truly one of my all-time Top 5 sports heroes.

Comment

I'm been perusing the ESU Relays heat sheets this morning (look it's been a long week and I need to decompress......so sue me) and it appears that I am out of the loop in regards to the WR in the pole vault.

I seem to remember watching the WR broken in Cessna stadium as a wee one many moons ago. Perhaps Earl Bell (?) cleared around 19'....I remember the crowd rising in anticipation as the PA announcer coming on and saying he was about to attempt a new world record.

Anyways, on the heat sheets they seed by height cleared (I think). Beau Norris is our top seed at 5.11 meters (about 16 3/4 feet if I remember my calculations correctly) but the top seed is a vaulter from Baker named Leo Smith at 13.81 meters. Now I remember Segei Bubka clearing 20 feet but I cannot remember Leo Smith soaring over 45 feet!

Anyone that has a chance to attend, your reports will be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                    I'm been perusing the ESU Relays heat sheets this morning (look it's been a long week and I need to decompress......so sue me) and it appears that I am out of the loop in regards to the WR in the pole vault.

I seem to remember watching the WR broken in Cessna stadium as a wee one many moons ago. Perhaps Earl Bell (?) cleared around 19'....I remember the crowd rising in anticipation as the PA announcer coming on and saying he was about to attempt a new world record.

Anyways, on the heat sheets they seed by height cleared (I think). Beau Norris is our top seed at 5.11 meters (about 16 3/4 feet if I remember my calculations correctly) but the top seed is a vaulter from Baker named Leo Smith at 13.81 meters. Now I remember Segei Bubka clearing 20 feet but I cannot remember Leo Smith soaring over 45 feet!

Anyone that has a chance to attend, your reports will be appreciated.
                    Doc, now that you mention it, I think I was also at that meet in Cessna Stadium where the pole vaulting WR was set. Watching someone set a new WR is a great thrill realizing you are seeing something that has mever been accomplished before.

Comment

We certainly weren't alone that day.

While not packed, I'd guess somewhere between 15-20k were there to enjoy the festivities.

Ah, those were the days.........

Comment

Do you remember if Nolan Cromwell ran the 400 meter hurdles in that meet?

Nolan, the quarterback of the KU Football team at that time, was a world class hurdler. I remember being struck with how much bigger and thicker he looked compared to his competitors. Like a Rotweiler among a bunch of greyhounds. Then the race started and the greyhounds were chasing the Rotweiler around the track.

Comment

Some good things this weekend at Emporia. Several throwers dominated. 3 javelin guys over 215! Trudo with a huge throw (237') that shattered the school record and qualified him for the Olympic Trials...as a freshman! Stember had a PR as well, with Becker surpassing the regional mark as well. He also threw a best in the hammer, 191'. Can't wait to see when the whole team gets in the swing of things.

Hopefully people can make it out next week for the home meet to support the team!

Comment

I saw the javelin results......how much of those numbers can be attributed to the wind, if any at all?

Will most or all of the team compete next week with the team at home or will they stick to the partial team approach they have used all season?

Thanks for the update!

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Wow! That broke the school record by 9' and is the fourth best throw in the nation this year. Unortunately, that throw did not win the event.

Eric Brown competing unattached threw 251'10".

Nevertheless, a tremendous effort by the Freshman from Wamego.

The Shocks have 3 javelin throwers that have now qualified for the NCAA regionals.

Comment

WuDrWu, yeah I'm sure that was a typo on the PV. I think the world record is around 20'.

Also, from what I hear everyone will be suited up this week at the KT Woodman, with the possible exception of Girts Azis. K-State is coming down so it should be a good meet!

Here's what I saw (and heard) at Emporia this past weekend ...

---Trudo and the Javelin guys were without a doubt the story of the meet. Someone told me all 6 of Trudo's throws were over 225'! Great big PR for Stember too! Becker "only" threw 215' but set a PR in the hammer at 191'. I'm not a javelin guy but I was told the conditions were just about perfect for the event Saturday. Nice tailwind and a good facility. Anyone know why Coach Hetzendorf didn't throw? He might have thrown 260!
                                ---Discus was good as well with Brewer and Patterson near 160'.
                                ---Most of the top runners and jumpers didn't compete although it was nice to see Justin Smith win the 400m over the UNI guys, although they ran in different heats.
                                ---We have some terrific hurdlers, Luther Wilson was rolling until he hit about the 5th hurdle, still ran good and local guy Chris Allen ran well too.

Pray for good weather Saturday at Cessna Stadium, the next 3 meets are home, KU Relays, then Oregon Relays. I imagine we'll see some great things in April from these guys!

Comment

Working...
                                X