No announcement yet.

Cessna Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While we are on the subject of facilities I would still like to see something like this for the volleyball program (and potentially the women’s basketball games). Would also open the door for wrestling/wrestling events on the future.

At the very least, I would like to see a actually volleyball court, instead of the tapped down line. Many programs seem to have these already.
    The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
      At the very least, I would like to see a actually volleyball court, instead of the tapped down line. Many programs seem to have these already.
      I have seen those in Koch Arena a number of times when the USA Men's and Women's National Volleyball teams played matches in Koch Arena a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I have seen those in Koch Arena a number of times when the USA Men's and Women's National Volleyball teams played matches in Koch Arena a few years back.

But a WSU one.

Like this, but in Black with Yellow lettering and with WuShock or WSU logo in the middle.

The Assman

Comment

Yes, that could be done with the type of floor the olympic teams used.

Comment

Will a regulation D1 NCAA soccer field even fit inside a track?

Soccer fields surrounded by track fields suck from both a playing and fan experience. The atmosphere lacks as you cannot be near the field as a fan, and the field is annoyingly compressed as a player and you don't get the close fan experience you get playing in more soccer-specific facilities. But since we don't have an NCAA D1 team, I can't really complain -- anything is better than nothing.

Regardless whether a soccer field fits on a track, I would hope if we get an NCAA D1 team, that games would be played on a full size pitch and not on a field squeezed in by a track.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Why not make Cessna the baddest assest track facility in the midwest? Completely dedicate it to track and get the best recruits out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                Why not make Cessna the baddest assest track facility in the midwest? Completely dedicate it to track and get the best recruits out there?
                ROI on that not great.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

ROI on that not great.
                  Understood. But you could take a risk that you get to nurture some future Olympians. Risky though, for sure.

Comment

ROI on that not great.
                    Nor is our weather all that great during the bulk of the collegiate track season. Tracksters just love our spring winds.

If you want to have something great, it needs to be somewhat unique and you need to be a first mover. Birmingham kicked ass with their CrossPlex facility for indoor track, aquatic events and other events. But that was a city project not a UAB project. But it sounds like it has been a home run.

Comment

ROI on that not great.
                      You have to have an investment before you can get an ROI. Based on the hopes and wishes of many posters on this thread I guess they plan on writing some very substantial checks hoping someone else will. Some of these things may eventually come to pass but it won't be because WSU athletics decides to start spending its current savings account. WSU has it hands full paying off 3G over the next 4 or 5 years. Of course, this can all change if we have enough deep pocketed boosters step up in a big way. But so far that is not in evidence. But perhaps ADKS will get that ignited. Let's hope so.

Of the $40 million they plan on spending on replacing Cessna Stadium I wonder how much is for demolition, removal and site prep.

Comment

ROI on that not great.
                        Much bigger return on soccer where you can actually make money with a good team and fan support.

Yours Truly,

Chico Borja

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Much bigger return on soccer where you can actually make money with a good team and fan support.

Yours Truly,

Chico Borja
                          RIP

I did some research a while back to see which players from the Wings Played for the USMNT, and of those, which were on a World Cup roster. It was easier to find the latter, but I know Chico was on the list of players who had played for the USMNT.

The also late David Vanole made a World Cup roster for the USA (he started at the Olympics for the US in 1988 and was a key part of the qualifying campaign for '90), along with Eric Eichmann. Many players on the 1990 World Cup squad and a decent amount on the 1994 squad had backgrounds playing in indoor soccer here in the US.

A collection of really cool stories about "Dino" Vanole here: https://www.espn.com/world-cup/story...aved-us-soccer

Pretty cool. I think there's a lot of opportunity for soccer at WSU and I would LOVE to see it happen. Of any of the sport additions, it's both the most feasible and the one that will draw the most interest by a comfortable margin.
                          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

If we get mens soccer, I’m hoping we can sign Kim “the rocket” Rontved. (Hopefully he still has some eligibility).

Comment

So this was the first year of a fundraising effort by the WSU Foundation called The Founders Day of Giving. Saw this all over the Twitter pages for the various Shocker sports. Other than that not sure how much it was supported.

Founders’ Day is a 24-hour giving event to celebrate the rich history of our university and its continued commitment to our top priority – the students of Wichita State.

It looks their was around 80 different programs supporters could donate to including Shocker Athletic programs: https://foundation.wichita.edu/givingday/

It looks like they have raised a total of $65,000.

Here is how the NCAA member athletic programs did:

Baseball - $850
                              Men's Basketball - $205
                              Women's Basketball - $5,925 (Erica Yancey, WBB Director of Operations, was a fundraiser and raised $5,550 of this from 7 donors)
                              Men's Golf - $700
                              Women's Golf - $0
                              Softball - $900
                              Track & Field and XC - $3,100
                              Volleyball - $350
                              Men's Tennis - $50
                              Women's Tennis - $50
                              Total = $12,130

Other Athletic and Related Programs:
                              Dance Team - $2,440
                              Cheer Team - $3,815
                              Shocker Bowling - $3,100
                              Shocker Rowing - $800

Total Other = $$10,155

I don't think we will be funding a lot of facility improvements with this kind of money. Now this was the initial year and the only place I saw it being pushed was on Twitter. If this is the best they can do than it is hardly worth the effort. Perhaps this was a last minute deal and they really didn't have time to develop much of a marketing plan. Perhaps the WSU Foundation should cut some NIL deals with our student-athletes to promote this fundraiser and not just for the athletic programs. But it would appear they need a lot of work on their marketing and promotional efforts. Maybe Shockernet needs to fund another billboard.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Nor is our weather all that great during the bulk of the collegiate track season. Tracksters just love our spring winds.

If you want to have something great, it needs to be somewhat unique and you need to be a first mover. Birmingham kicked ass with their CrossPlex facility for indoor track, aquatic events and other events. But that was a city project not a UAB project. But it sounds like it has been a home run.
                                Gotta build a glass dome over it!!

Comment

Working...
                                X