Cessna Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NM
    Last edited by Shockm; September 14, 2022, 12:52 AM.

Comment

I like it.

Does anyone know what kind of attendance they get for the State meet?

I also like that soccer was singled out. I still believe that WSU could put together some decent teams and utilize quite a bit of local talent to get there. It's definitely a growing sport in this area with the youth.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        I like it.

Does anyone know what kind of attendance they get for the State meet?
        Paid admission is the tip of the iceberg so it's difficult to gauge. You have teams from every school in the state of Kansas (1A to 6A). The State Meet is multiple days, so different people attend different days. Because events are qualifying, some teams are smaller and others larger, but athletes who don't qualify still often attend, their friends attend, parents, and relatives attend also. The Business community, Hotels, Motels, and restaurants are who benefit the most probably, and secondly, WSU Track Recruiting probably benefits a lot. They recruit a lot of small town track athletes who bloom big time in college. I looked for economic figures from the State Track Meet, but couldn't find them.

ABC probably would have access to the economic figures generated by the State Track Meet in Wichita. I know it's a big number, and would be interested to know.

Comment

The stadium should seat 10k plus what the berm will hold

Comment

Love the berm.

Comment

At peak time of the state meet it probably has 15-18k people in attedance. Because it's a 2-day long all-day meet, the average is probably more around 10-12k. But with a 10k+ berm stadium, it would be overflowing at the busiest times. Also, the throwing events are currently outside of the stadium. I don't know where if the throwing events would move inside, but there are a couple thousand outside the stadium during those events. If everything is inside then it would be packed.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Love the berm.
                Especially on the east side where you be able to catch more sun, especially in the aternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by goshox74 View Post
                  At peak time of the state meet it probably has 15-18k people in attedance. Because it's a 2-day long all-day meet, the average is probably more around 10-12k. But with a 10k+ berm stadium, it would be overflowing at the busiest times. Also, the throwing events are currently outside of the stadium. I don't know where if the throwing events would move inside, but there are a couple thousand outside the stadium during those events. If everything is inside then it would be packed.
                  Is it possible to modify, extend, build a high quality throwing pit in the area currently used so often to the south of CKA (or am I really off base on where things happen)?

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                    The stadium should seat 10k plus what the berm will hold
                    The way I read the article, the total seating in the facility including the berm will be 10,040.
                    • A bermed grass seating area seating for 2,390
                    • New aluminum bleacher seating at the north and south ends of the track to seat a total of 3,460 spectators.
                    • WSU says it would build a new west stadium structure with seating for 4,190 spectators.
                    2,390 + 3,460 + 4,190 = 10,040

Comment

Originally posted by goshox74 View Post
                      Thanks for that info. I was there most of Saturday this year and would have guessed 13-15Kish inside, but it's hard to judge such things, especially in a facility you're not used to. Just seemed that the lower half of each side was pretty full and it thinned out as you got in the upper half.

I was just curious as I'm not a frequent goer of these events and I know it's just one weekend out of the year, but want to make sure it's adequate.

I'm still more excited about the possibility of soccer coming.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

The way I read the article, the total seating in the facility including the berm will be 10,040.
                        • A bermed grass seating area seating for 2,390
                        • New aluminum bleacher seating at the north and south ends of the track to seat a total of 3,460 spectators.
                        • WSU says it would build a new west stadium structure with seating for 4,190 spectators.
                        2,390 + 3,460 + 4,190 = 10,040
                        This won't cut it for keeping the state meet in Wichita, or keeping it all classes. I have been several times and always had more than that. It needs to be able to hold at least 13k IMO.

Comment

Looks like they may need to break up the State Track meets if WSU does end up with a 10,000 capacity track and soccer facility. Perhaps to 3, maybe 4, locations. Time will tell.

Comment

The current throwing area outside the stadium is high quality and perfect for state track. There could be some small upgrades, but the space is good the way it is. But who knows if campus wants that space for something else?

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Is it possible to modify, extend, build a high quality throwing pit in the area currently used so often to the south of CKA (or am I really off base on where things happen)?
                            I'm afraid that with a 10k stadium that includes berm seating in that total, it would not be big enough for the state meet in it's current format. If it went to multiple locations that would be a terrible thing for the city of Wichita. I've read that it's regularly the highest economic impact to the city each year.

I've heard the location of berm seating might be on the backstretch (east side) with seating on the north and south end. Seating on the north end would not be a good idea as there are no track and field events there (except watching runners pass by). A berm on the north would be better with seating on the east. Imagine if it rains.

Comment

Looks like they may need to break up the State Track meets if WSU does end up with a 10,000 capacity track and soccer facility. Perhaps to 3, maybe 4, locations. Time will tell.
                              Which would be horrible. It is the last all class state meet in the country. That's what makes it so great.

Comment

Better Call Saal
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X