No announcement yet.

Cessna Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like it as well. Face it, pretty much anything is better than what we have now.

If I were to have one complaint, I would like to see seating capacity closer to 15k. I realize thats more $$. Just by eye-balling it, it seems at peak times, the state track meet has more than 10k…could very well be wrong tho.

I am just happy something appears to be moving forward.

Comment

Other Comparable Cities: "Build it big! Build it right! Let's knock everyone's socks off!"

Wichita: "That sounds like a lot of money. What could you do with some pocket lint and the title to a 1979 Monte Carlo?"

Always. And forever.

I know this is Wichita the university, not Wichita the city, but the slipper fits to perfection in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
        Other Comparable Cities: "Build it big! Build it right! Let's knock everyone's socks off!"

Wichita: "That sounds like a lot of money. What could you do with some pocket lint and the title to a 1979 Monte Carlo?"

Always. And forever.

I know this is Wichita the university, not Wichita the city, but the slipper fits to perfection in this case.
        Great points!

I'm betting "Better Call Saal" is on top of this; it appears he has a vision and can make a change before we build it too small.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by goshox74 View Post
          The current throwing area outside the stadium is high quality and perfect for state track. There could be some small upgrades, but the space is good the way it is. But who knows if campus wants that space for something else?

I'm afraid that with a 10k stadium that includes berm seating in that total, it would not be big enough for the state meet in it's current format. If it went to multiple locations that would be a terrible thing for the city of Wichita. I've read that it's regularly the highest economic impact to the city each year.

I've heard the location of berm seating might be on the backstretch (east side) with seating on the north and south end. Seating on the north end would not be a good idea as there are no track and field events there (except watching runners pass by). A berm on the north would be better with seating on the east. Imagine if it rains.
          This is false. The MAYB basketball tournament the 2nd weekend of June is the biggest recurring event. Then the MAYB tournament the first weekend of August is typically the 2nd highest impact. State Track would probably be in the 3-5 range off the top of my head. NBC World Series used to be up there but has dropped in recent years. Track is still a huge event to lose even a part of it to another location. Hopefully they would just extend the number of days in Wichita instead.

Comment

Always. And forever.

Let’s also take 5 years to do it. No way we could just knock it out in a year!
            The Assman

Comment

There is a simple solution to all of this. You can still have all of state track at WSU. Just break up the classes over multiple days...either three classes on Friday and three on Saturday or two classes per day from Thursday to Saturday. I mean, technically, that's exactly what they currently do on Friday (three classes in the morning, three in the afternoon).

Voila. Easy fix.
              78-65

Comment

There will be a lot of unhappy people if WSU allows the Kansas Track Meet to be divided up. I’ve only been at the State Track Meet a couple of times, but 15-18 K people may be correct, but I’d like to hear firm numbers instead of estimates.

Unhappy people if this track meet meet is changed start with Rainbolt. WSU builds Rainbolt a top notch track facility, but take away his major recruiting tool that allows him to attract track athletes of large and small schools to visit the campus. Many of his track athletes develop over several years to become effective college track athletes.

Second, is the hotels, motels, and restaurants make a lot of money from this event, and local economy will digress.

I would be be totally surprised if this event was broken up into several events at more than one location.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

The way I read the article, the total seating in the facility including the berm will be 10,040.
                  • A bermed grass seating area seating for 2,390
                  • New aluminum bleacher seating at the north and south ends of the track to seat a total of 3,460 spectators.
                  • WSU says it would build a new west stadium structure with seating for 4,190 spectators.
                  2,390 + 3,460 + 4,190 = 10,040
                  Yes, I guess I misspoke. What I meant was, in my opinion, 10k including the berm was not quite big enough.

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
                    I like it as well. Face it, pretty much anything is better than what we have now.

If I were to have one complaint, I would like to see seating capacity closer to 15k. I realize thats more $$. Just by eye-balling it, it seems at peak times, the state track meet has more than 10k…could very well be wrong tho.

I am just happy something appears to be moving forward.
                    That’s what I was trying to say and didn’t do a great job of it.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                      There is a simple solution to all of this. You can still have all of state track at WSU. Just break up the classes over multiple days...either three classes on Friday and three on Saturday or two classes per day from Thursday to Saturday. I mean, technically, that's exactly what they currently do on Friday (three classes in the morning, three in the afternoon).

Voila. Easy fix.
                      This "easy fix" would result in most of the state meet leaving Wichita. Other places like Lawrence would desperately like to get a third of the state meet and likely would. Having a stadium that can have all 6 classes at the same time is the only reason it's in Wichita. No other facility can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                        The old gal looked pretty good on this day…

I remember that game very fondly. Great game, great crowd, I had a great time. I miss those days.

Comment

I too attended that game. Great night! I wish I had the appreciation of the uniqueness of that event, but being a youngster then I certainly did not. I just assumed the Aggies were terrible.

Comment

Always. And forever.

We always get less for more.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Sounds to me that those here that are closer to the track program do need to "Call Saal" in some fashion, ask him about this and the probable outcome for Wichita-WSU regarding this issue. I think we would all like to hear his response.

Comment

Why not build two smaller stands where the stadiums sides are now, aluminum setting on the North end, and have the berm on the South end open towards the campus and dorms?

seems like that would look and function better.

I do like the field for potential soccer and/or lacrosse, growth sports.

I just hope they do it right and not cheap out, but I’m afraid they certainly will.
                                Last edited by Shock Top; September 15, 2022, 10:03 AM.
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X