[POST GAME] WSU vs SD ST - What We Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KC Shox
    I learned with the Valley going 1-7 in this challenge that I'm flat out embarrassed by this conference. I learned that the Shox, or any other Valley team for that matter, will now be relegated to the back-burner of college basketball media attention. We could run the table in the regular season and still barely get a whiff of attention due to this piss poor conference. I learned that this is a one-bid league again and telling myself baseball season can't get here fast enough.
    The Valley does suck. Time to freakin' take out some pent up aggression for the past transgressions against our beloved Shockers! I say the goal is to embarrass every freakin' program twice this year and thrice for 3 of them as we walk into the dance.

But I'm sure that we'll have 2 or 3 brain farts.

Prove me wrong Shockers.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker
      Stutz still needs to add weight/muscle to his upper, upper-body: neck, traps and shoulders. His posture is not good around that area.
      Adding muscle without drugs is very difficult, especially for a tall thin guy. 8)
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

A lot of you are banking on 16-2 and 15-3 in the Valley. While the Valley is down, I'm still not confident with this team on the road.

The bracketbuster pool is quite diluted on the road team side. I dunno if one quality win over a VCU? would get us in. 2 years ago, Creighton was bypassed with like a 27-6 record AND a Valley regular season title.

First, you have to ask yourself if you think this team is only gonna lose 3 or 4 more games the rest of the next 3 months. Then, you have to ask yourself if that'll be enough (with lack of quality wins) to get into the tourney. Having a gawdy record in a weak conference screams Ohio Valley or Sun Belt.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

There's still a long season ahead, and lots can happen that we can't see at this time. They just need to play hard and win as many games as possible. No team in the Valley is anywhere close to as strong as UConn or SDS this year. The Valley is never a cake walk, and this year will be no different regardless of how 'down' a year it is. However, I still think we have a decided advantage over most teams.

I don't think this team has reached it's potential. Perhaps it never will, but if it does we'll be hard to stop. I'm hoping with each game we'll get a little bit better. I just wish this game tonight had been played in about 2 months. The outcome might have been different, but who knows?

Comment

We will be lucky to split with Creighton and Northern Iowa if we continue our weak inside defense and inability to rebound the basketball.

Comment

I know it, kcshocker11. But he still has room to grow there. I would put Stutz on the neck machine, upright rows and shoulder presses three to five times a week this summer.. until he puked. That would straighten his upper-body posture.. he needs it.

Comment

Originally posted by fairbanksfan
                We will be lucky to split with Creighton and Northern Iowa if we continue our weak inside defense and inability to rebound the basketball.
                In fairness on the rebound issue... SDS is a VERY VERY good rebounding team. Also, we've out rebounded every opponent this season except them--including UConn, who beat us. So, rebounding to me is not going to be a problem much beyond this game.

The interior defense--I completely agree on. We have to do better at stopping dribble penetration. When we get into conference play, we'll be scouted very carefully and you can bet good coaches will do whatever they can to exploit that.

Comment

I still think we will win the Valley, but with about 4 losses. Why so many losses? We are not a proven road team yet. Even so, it is high-time peak and to win at the Lou, which is long overdue and most definitely our turn.
                  Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoxFan45
                    Originally posted by ShockerFever
                    Originally posted by XManCometh
                    Originally posted by kcshocker11
                    We learned that our next meaningful game isn't until March.
                    There all meaningful, cant lose to any cupcakes in our conference.
                    Yes we can. It's St. Louis or bust now.
                    I agree with this 98%. The only way I see us creeping in otherwise is if we run the table from here on out, then lose in the Finals of the MVC in a nail biter against the #2 team in the regular season. Then MAYBE we get an 11 or 13 seed.
                    You give that a 2% chance of happening?? I give it about a .00000002%.
                    Does anyone remember last year? Does anyone remember how many times we all said, "That's it, this loss is the one that does us in for an at-large hope" And then week after week, loss after loss, we kept being right on the edge of being in or out in bracketology until eventually we did ourselves in with too many losses down the stretch. It is not St. Louis or bust now, absolutely not. Does the fact that we lost our two games against ranked teams? Yes. Does it hurt that we do not play another tournament quality team until possibly bracket busters? Yes.

Our path is significantly harder than it would be if we could have won one of those games. But to say on December 4th that is it St. Louis or bust is naive as a college basketball fan. The MVC stinks this year, but it isn't the SWAC or the Big South.
                    Agreed!
                    Shocker fan since December 28th, 2005!

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker
                      Stutz still needs to add weight/muscle to his upper, upper-body: neck, traps and shoulders. His posture is not good around that area.
                      I say redshirt him next year.

Comment

So then, what are the odds of being a 7-seed in the NCAA Tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO
                          So then, what are the odds of being a 7-seed in the NCAA Tournament?
                          For San Diego State? Pretty good.

If you're talking about us, about the same chances that Garrett Stutz posts a double-double this year.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

1. Shox now need to finish up non-conference strong.

2. Shox need to dominate the MVC

Then in late February we will see where they are on the national radar.

But more importantly for the shox to win the MVC because this will give them the easier path in STL.

Comment

fever, psst, over here.
                              THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

You can call me Bill

Comment

Get your cameras everybody!

First post by Williebait in a game-related thread in 2 years.

Glad it took me to get ya to do it.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X