X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ABC
    Originally posted by wu_shizzle
    Originally posted by ABC
    Can Durley replace PJ on the wing next year?

It would be nice to have a 6'7" small forward.
    You must be new to this game called basketball...
    Just last year.

So you are saying JT won't ever play the 3?

I think coaches like to get the best players they can on the court at the same time. As has been discussed, next year it is possible to have two 7 footers at the 4 and 5 spots. Why not have Durley, who can shoot the 3, at the same time?

With Antoine and Zarko in the mid-80s, X played the 3.
    I'm pretty sure the MVC didn't have the three when X played and his turn around j was deadly out to around 18'. Plus Sherrod could hit from around downtown Wichita.

Comment

While Durley has a quick first step, I wonder if he has the overall quickness to defend most MVC small forwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Zardoz
        Originally posted by ABC
        Originally posted by ABC

Just last year.

I think coaches like to get the best players they can on the court at the same time. As has been discussed, next year it is possible to have two 7 footers at the 4 and 5 spots. Why not have Durley, who can shoot the 3, at the same time?

I'm pretty sure the MVC didn't have the three when X played and his turn around j was deadly out to around 18'. Plus Sherrod could hit from around downtown Wichita.
        I meant the "3" position in basketball.

Some folks with more basketball experties than me, such as wu shitzle, can address the following. It seems to me that small forwards that are "wings" are wings b/c of their size such as PJ and Jamar. Small forwards that are a big larger, like Larry Bird, are just that, small forwards, not wings. Either way it is the 3 position, isn't it?

Charles Barkely played the 3 and the 4. I don't know if anyone considered him a "wing".

Comment

Just because X, one of the best, if not the best, player ever to put on a WSU uniform could play the 3 doesn't mean Durley can effectively. X played a lot of 3 in the NBA.

JTD has a lot of potential but I think he can and will do the most damage at the 4. He has the quickness to be successful at the 4 on both the offensive and defensive ends. He is going to make the opposing player play him away from the basket which will, most of the time, create match up problems.

Comment

[/quote]Charles Barkely played the 3 and the 4. I don't know if anyone considered him a "wing".[/quote]

Barkely was a power forward at 6'6" - which is why he was so special.

Comment

Charles Barkely played the 3 and the 4. I don't know if anyone considered him a "wing".[/quote]

Barkely was a power forward at 6'6" - which is why he was so special.[/quote]

You are right as played offense as a power forward.

I think his official height was 6'6" but his actual height is all over the board according to sources. His real height might be less than 6'5".

As defense I think he started out guarding the 3 b/c of his height. As he gold older and slower he started guarding the much larger power forwards and it was more challenging for him.

Comment

Barkley probably was shorter than 6'6" but the fact that he played the 4 on the offensive end (I don't know what position he defended early in his career) was what made him so unique. No matter what one might think about him, he was a tremendous basketball talent.

And I don't think it is likely that Durley is going to play much 3 in his WSU career. But I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                  Originally posted by Zardoz
                  Originally posted by ABC
                  Originally posted by ABC

Just last year.

I meant the "3" position in basketball.

Some folks with more basketball experties than me, such as wu shitzle, can address the following. It seems to me that small forwards that are "wings" are wings b/c of their size such as PJ and Jamar. Small forwards that are a big larger, like Larry Bird, are just that, small forwards, not wings. Either way it is the 3 position, isn't it?

Charles Barkely played the 3 and the 4. I don't know if anyone considered him a "wing".
                  I was talking the 3 position also, just didn't make my point real well. It's not really fair to compare anybody to X though. X was a combo forward that had the range to drag the defense out, the speed to drive around the defender and the 40"+ vertical to go over almost anybody. It was news when he didn't have a double double.

I see Durley as being more of a back to the basket player that already has some nice post moves. That isn't to say that he can't take it outside from time to time. I do think Ellis is more of a natural three at least for now as he doesn't have the bulk to play a back to the basket style game.

Comment

I remember X and Barkley going at it in an NBA exhibition game at Levitt in the mid-80s. That was a sight to behold.

I think comparisons of Durley to Gomes are very premature. He obviously has range out to the perimeter, but I'm not sure I see the quickness and explosiveness that others have. Perhaps I am one voice in the wilderness, but I think he needs to go quite a ways in building endurance and playing consistently on defense. Coach Marshall suggested on his call in show that he doesn't practice very well. He is a gamer, though.

I would think he needs to get down to about 230# to think about playing the three. I don't think he has the quickness to guard MVC three men right now. But he would create tremendous match up problems at the other end.
                    Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Royal asked the important question here, and that is can he guard shorter, slimmer, quicker players? I don't know, but until I see otherwise I would guess not.

Since we all want a tall line-up, how about this:

We play a 1-3-1 zone with Ellis at the top, Stutz in the middle, EO in back (running "like a deer" along the baseline), Hawkins and Butler on the wings. That is a long athletic line-up that could stop almost anything! I know what you're saying...but what about offense? Easy! Stutz, EO, and the on-side rebounder get EVERYTHING. They outlet to the off-side who throws it up court to Ellis for the dunk! In the unlikely scenerio, that against all odds the other team scores, Hawkins throws a hail mary to the offense end where the 7 foot EO and Stutz are standing on either side of the basket for the Ally-Oop! The ball never touches the ground, and the Shocks win 90-40 behind Aaron Ellis 50 a game!
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                        I think his official height was 6'6" but his actual height is all over the board according to sources. His real height might be less than 6'5".
                        Barkley is like 6'3" in real life. There was an NBA exhibition at the 'valley center gym' and I ended up standing right next to Sir Charles for a minute. We are the same height. I alway say I'm 6'4" but I lie. Big difference between us is his elevator reached the 5th floor and mine is stuck in lower level parking.

Charles also played a pseudo-5, they used to post him up against Shaq, and CB would steal his milk money every time.
                        I had season FOOTBALL tix... did you?

Comment

Yes Barkley was unbelievably only 6'-4 1/2" tall. At least that's what he said when he played here for the Suns. He played like he was 6'-10" though.

Durley's lateral quickness to guard the 3 next year probably wouldn't be too much of an issue with two 7-footers behind him protecting the rim. :yes:
                          FINAL FOURS:
                          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                          Number of Times Ranked: 157
                          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                          #3 - Dec. 2017
                          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                          #2 ~ March 2014
                          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by wufan
                            ...and the Shocks win 90-40 behind Aaron Ellis 50 a game!

So, now Aaron Ellis is Oscar Robertson? :yahoo: :good:
                            "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                            -- Yogi Berra

Comment

imo durley will never be a perimeter player but he has the chance to be an AC type with range. Durley is a beast right now and i can only imagine what he will be doing to valley PF's (4's) in the future. wsu will never have enough size to necessitate playing him on the wing (3) but if needed he could do it.

Comment

he makes his recruiting class look more decent by the day. Gal and JT, GOOD, Butler and Brown, not so good. Butler, IMO, will be hard for me to ever say is good. I have never seen even flashes of him doing anything productive. Unless you count catching half court passes for dunks from PJ productive.
                                ________
                                JUGALETTES
                                http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

Working...
                                X