No announcement yet.

durley is a beast!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People talk about the energy that Ramone brings to the court. I didn't make it to the game, but from the highlights I saw, JT's got some flare himself too.

Comment

I have to admit that I didn't expect much from J.T. and he is my biggest shocker surprise in how he has played this year. Sometimes, I'm wrong and in this case I don't mind admitting it!

Comment

Can Durley replace PJ on the wing next year?

It would be nice to have a 6'7" small forward.

Comment

Those weird looking things Durley has been doing under the basket are called "solid post moves", something WSU fans have only seen sparingly as of late.

He's the real deal. His motor is 'boatin on defense now, too.
          The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Saturday night I was impressed with his positioning on defense and his ability to not bite on fakes (Mr. Ellis are you watching?).

With Ellis and Hawkins, I'm not sure we'll want JT playing SF, unless it's a suitable matchup or in limited minutes. He's shown some quickness, but I don't think it's enough to defend most SFs on the perimeter.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC

My guess is that Ellis is the heir apparent to the small forward position (if he continues to improve and learn), and that Durley would still act more as a 4, but I would not be shocked at all to see them in the game at the same time opposite each other.

Comment

Durley = Ryan Gomes

Comment

Originally posted by WUs Your Daddy
                  Durley = Ryan Gomes
                  Interesting comparison!

Though I think Gomes had more perimeter-to-paint ability than JT will ever have.

I think Durley is a back-to-the-basket player that can also step out and shoot an open jump shot. I don't see him as a slasher.

Comment

I don't want to compare him to anybody else, but he is a very talented individual. I think he is already one of the best bigs in the MVC offensively.

If two things happen, I think he will end up being a three-time all-league selection:

1. He continues to "buy in" to the amount of work that he must put into practice and conditioning. He obviously works hard on both ends of the floor when the lights are on, but he needs to work harder when they aren't so he can go longer stretches without becoming a liability.

2. Orupke, Stutz, or somebody else will need to play enough minutes at the 5 that JT plays 75% of his minutes at the four.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC

You must be new to this game called basketball...
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

A.J. Hawkins is closer to PJ than either Durley or Ellis in my opinion, although PJ is a somewhat of a unique player with his ability to go inside with the big boys on both ends of the court with his strength and athleticism. He can guard just about any perimeter player very effectively. He is probably the best passer on the team and, if he had to, could do a good job at the point.

Perhaps his greatest strength, IMHO, is his toughness and his basketball IQ which are at the top of the charts.

I think JT, Aaron and AJ will all prove to be very fine players, but not sure any can exactly duplicate what PJ brings to the floor.

Nevertheless, their combined skills and abilities bode well for the future of Shocker BB.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC

Even better to have a 6'9" SF, which coach keeps referring to Ellis as being and we still have a 6'7" Griz and a 6'5" Hawkins. We need Durley inside with his size and post moves. He can still step out and drain a 3 as Kyle did or draw his defender out with him to open up lanes for the slashers.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                            Durley = Ryan Gomes
                            Interesting comparison!

Though I think Gomes had more perimeter-to-paint ability than JT will ever have.

I think Durley is a back-to-the-basket player that can also step out and shoot an open jump shot. I don't see him as a slasher.
                            Actually, someone on here said that JTD has an exceptionally quick first step on the dribble-drive. I don't think that makes him a SF in the MVC, but once people start defending him on the perimeter its dribble, dribble, dunk!
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan
                              Originally posted by RoyalShock
                              Durley = Ryan Gomes
                              Interesting comparison!

Actually, someone on here said that JTD has an exceptionally quick first step on the dribble-drive. I don't think that makes him a SF in the MVC, but once people start defending him on the perimeter its dribble, dribble, dunk!
                              JT may not fall into the slasher category, but if a big man comes out to guard him on the perimeter, JT can effectively drive and finish. When you see him do it for the first time, you might be surprised by his ability.

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle
                                Originally posted by ABC

You must be new to this game called basketball...
                                Just last year.

So you are saying JT won't ever play the 3?

I think coaches like to get the best players they can on the court at the same time. As has been discussed, next year it is possible to have two 7 footers at the 4 and 5 spots. Why not have Durley, who can shoot the 3, at the same time?

With Antoine and Zarko in the mid-80s, X played the 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X