No announcement yet.

Recruiting classes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, you're right, although the team does need role players, a recruiting mistake that you have to live with for 4 years, makes it a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockRef
      If EO doesn't make it here in time for this year and thus considered an 08 recruit, I would think comparisons to the AC/Levingston class might come up. In a word... Wow. 8)
      I would not get to carried away – Levingston and Carr were part of a class that helped turn WSU into a national title contender. These days both Levingston and Carr would have probably been considered at the very least 4 star recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
        I would not get to carried away – Levingston and Carr were part of a class that helped turn WSU into a national title contender. These days both Levingston and Carr would have probably been considered at the very least 4 star recruits.
        Those guys would have probably been solid 5's. And if they wouldn't have been, then the scouting services really wouldn't have know jack squat. But since there weren't scouting services back then, at least that I have heard of, we won't know. But there are hardly ever any 4 star Burger Boys.

Comment

Re: good class

Originally posted by proshox
          The new coach tells potential recruits "you will be one of my guys," playing time is easier to hand out as a new coach, and it is really hard for oppossing teams to negatively recruit against a guy that does not have a history in the MVC/school etc. Plus there is a new and eciting story which helps.

The next step is finding the right pieces that round out future classes. No wasted scholarships...
          What are they gonna say about Marshall? He came into WSU, got rid of some players that he felt weren't good enough (and possibly weren't)? Also, he's only been to 7 NCAA tourneys in his short career? Pretty hard to negatively recruit against Marshall.

And on the waster schollies, there are always gonna be those. Even the Duke's and UNC's of the world end up with them.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
            Those guys would have probably been solid 5's. And if they wouldn't have been, then the scouting services really wouldn't have know jack squat. But since there weren't scouting services back then, at least that I have heard of, we won't know. But there are hardly ever any 4 star Burger Boys.
            Of course, I agree with you. I was being conservative – which is why I underlined "at the very least". They were both tremendous college players that had an immediate impact on the team.

Comment

Of course, I agree with you. I was being conservative – which is why I underlined "at the very least". They were both tremendous college players that had an immediate impact on the team.
              I wasn't trying to argue. I understood exactly where you were coming from. Was Cliff a Burger Boy?

Comment

Actually, the best class to come into WSU may have been Dreiling, Sherrod, and X. Although, it is hard to argue with Ozell Jones, Carr, and Levingston
                Livin the dream

Comment

I'd take either of them, any day wufan. Think that we could clone 'em?

Comment

I wasn't trying to argue. I understood exactly where you were coming from. Was Cliff a Burger Boy?
                    I know you were not trying to argue with me – no worries. I don’t remember if Cliff was a Burger Boy. But I think he lead the team in scoring his first couple years. I was young but I miss those teams.

The equivalent to signing Carr or Levingston would be inking Cheese's kid, Noel along with one of his friends. The last person at WSU near that class of player was Mo Evans. Marshall has done well so far but his classes are not even close to those in the late 70s and early 80s.

Comment

Let's hope they only get better Maggie. I'd probably take another Mo Evans too.

Comment

The best I recall Carr was in the top 5 with Rickie Ross. Sherrod and Dreiling were in the top 5 or 10. Livingston was in the 50's, no Burger Boy. X-man wasn't even on the radar for top 100 or 250 that I remember. the big name on his team was Tyrone Corbin that went to Depaul.

Comment

Let's hope they only get better Maggie. I'd probably take another Mo Evans too.
                          I'd take Evans in a heart beat – especially in Marshall's system. I was so excited when they signed Evans and it ended up being such a waste. It was a shame, really.

I think the classes have improved – and improved a lot. There is no one that I think will make the kind of immediate impact Carr, Levingston, etc. did. But there is potential – as calfan pointed out McDaniel was not highly regarded out of H.S. and he, in my biased opinion, turned out to be the best of the lot.

Hawkins can really play – he is going to be very good next year but Ellis is the kid with the most upside on the team right now. If he continues to work hard – his size, length, shooting touch and mobility could make him a very special player. If I was told that one player on the team right now is going to have his jersey retired – I would put my money on Ellis. That being said, the kid has miles to got before we even start that conversation.

Comment

My memory is that Carr was a top 25 recruit by all services and for some he was a top 10. Levingston was a top 50-75 by all services. X was a top 100 by a service or two but not all had him that high.

Comment

My foggy memory has Carr top 10, Cliff at about 35-40, Ozell at 60-65 overall. That woulda been Bob Gibbons' ratings.

Comment

Next year's lineup

Maybe early, but my thoughts about next year's team.

Nothing but my gut feel, but I really believe this may be Gal's last season with the team. Don't know any specific reason why I feel that way, but I do. That being said, I can't say that it really bothers me that much. I love watching Gal play (at the 2 anyway) but I don't believe he will ever be really as strong as I'd like defensively. Too many quick guards out there. I also have seen nothing that would make me want him to become the starting point guard. I just wish we had a really solid point to back up Matt this year because I don't see Gal as the answer.

If I am correct, here is what I would envision for next year.

PG - Hannah - Murry - Preadom
                                SG - Hawkins - Kyles - Murry - Hatch
                                SF - Griskenas - Ellis - Kyles
                                PF - Clemente - Griskenas - Durley - Butler (or new recruit)
                                C - Orupke - Stutz - Durley (and / or new recruit)

Actually, the center spot could be either / or Orupke / Stutz depending on what we see when they get here.

I would not be surprised to see Butler gone. If Mekel stays, then I would expect Hatch to be gone.

Also, if Mekel stays, I'm really not convinced that I wouldn't still rather go with the starters I listed above and have Gal backing up.

Now's your chance to blast me. :D

Comment

Working...
                                X