Recruiting classes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KC Shox
    I can't stand KC Sports coverage. You think they mentioned Stutz going to WSU? Hell no, don't want to admit anyone from the KC area went down to Wichita. Sons of bitches.

Hopefully I overlooked it, but I doubt it.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/hs/
    I wouldn't get too upset about it. from what I see there are all kinds of KC players whose committments/signings were not reported, ie. Coy from St. Joe, Marcus Denmon and a bunch of others. Obviously, unless someone is going to KU, KSU or Mizzou, the reporters aren't going to get out of their chairs to find out who all is going where.....

I'm sure they will eventually get around to posting the information once someone hands it to them.....

It's just that time of year where they have to be reminded the the ends of the world are not Lawrence and Columbia....the world is not flat...you know what I mean 8)
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Re: Recruiting classes

Originally posted by RoyalShock
      I know it's a year or two too early to really evaluate this. And what I'm about to say isn't meant to demean Turgeon or what he did here.

But I was thinking tonight that Gregg Marshall may have put together two recruiting classes in a span of 8 months that are better than any two in Turgeon's 8 classes (including last year's that didn't materialized).

Obviously, the Howard, Miller, Burns, Kampman class was pretty good, but is the only one that I think could rank with these:

Class 1: Clemente, Griskenas, Ellis, Orukpe, Hawkins

Class 2: Stutz, Murry, Hannah, Kyles

But like I said, it's obviously too early to evaluate either of these two classes, but on paper they look pretty dang good.
      Like you said it is way to early but I sort of want to defend Turgeon a little bit.

Turgeon initially recruited players that fit his system and he was able to find a few players (Howard and Burns are examples) that fell through the cracks. Turgeon got lucky with Miller – because if memory serves he was also a baseball prospect. Anyway, for the first several years Turgeon had very little to work with as the team only recently had NCAA success, which I think is the key to successful recruiting (nice facilities, good fans, etc. will only go so far). That being said I do think, based on Turgeon's own statements, that he had an inferiority complex when it came to talking to recruits that were highly regarded. If that is true – I'm sure that even if he did speak to them that they could recognize that which obviously is not a good thing. After the Sweet 16 run, it did appear that Turgeon was going after "better" recruits; however, the NCAA success probably takes a while to actually impact recruiting. I think Bowles would have been a good player at WSU and having both Sampay and Clemente (who was his recruit) in the post would have also been nice. I actually liked Turgeon's last recruiting class.

Despite what happened when Turgeon left, CGM has inherited a much better situation than his predecessor. He came to a program only two years removed from a Sweet 16 run, the facilities were in place and the fan support is solid. Not to mention the fact that CGM's teams at Winthrop played in the NCAA tournament nearly every year he was there – consistent post season play also means a lot.

One difference between CGM and Turgeon in my mind is: I think "inferiority" is a four letter word to CGM. I think he has the history and the personality to better take advantage of what WSU has to offer. Moreover, I suspect that CGM's system is a little more attractive to kids than Turgeon's.

What CGM has done so far has been impressive but we are going to compare his classes with Turgeon's I think we need to look at where the program was when the classes came in.

Comment

When was the last time we signed three "3" star recruits in the same class?

Comment

Yeah, probably has some validity, I suppose. At least to a point. What Marshall has already accomplished is nothing short of astonishing, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock
            When was the last time we signed three "3" star recruits in the same class?
            If they even rated the kids back then – probably the early 80s and possibly one of Fogler's recruiting classes. I am just guessing.

In any event, not for quite a while.

Comment

I agree with you Maggie. The atmosphere is certainly more favorable to Marshall. Of course, I think part of that is Marshall himself, just as you alluded to.

I just think that what he and his staff (they are a major factor) have done in eight months of recruiting is simply amazing.

I will give Turgeon (and staff) a lot of credit for Mekel, Durley and even Bowles (for the fact that he was a great find).

Comment

:wsu_posters: I guess ESPN was right when said WSU had the best off season hire in college basketball last year. We don't have to wait and see if GM can coach, he comes here with a proven track record, of coaching, recruiting, and winning. As they said on ESPN, they trade Turgeon's 1 NCAA, for Marsall's 7. I love Turgeon, but in today's college basketball, where mid-majors can compete like never before. The future looks brighter than ever for the Shocks. This is AAAAWWWWSSSSOOOOMMMMEEEE!

Comment

Evann Baker (Quinnipiac)

By the way...which one's Pink?
                  MTXE

Comment

Agreed. On paper, it's our best recruiting class in many, many years.
                    In the fast lane

Comment

He will no doubt be a good player for them.

That game where he scored 16 went to 2 OTs. Baker played 44 out of 50 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                        I agree with you Maggie. The atmosphere is certainly more favorable to Marshall. Of course, I think part of that is Marshall himself, just as you alluded to.

I just think that what he and his staff (they are a major factor) have done in eight months of recruiting is simply amazing.

I will give Turgeon (and staff) a lot of credit for Mekel, Durley and even Bowles (for the fact that he was a great find).
                        You have to give credit to Turgeon for Clemente as well. ;-)

I do want to make one thing clear – I am not a Turgeon apologist. Like many people, I had problems with him (from a fan's perspective) both on and off the court. The man was not perfect. However, overall Turgeon was a positive force in the universe when it came to WSU basketball.

On Marshall - don't get me wrong, I have been very impressed with him and his staff to date. This recruiting class looks excellent on paper. Signing Griskenas and Ellis for this year was huge. He brings and intensity to the program that I really enjoy and I am looking forward to watching this team this season.

Comment

Baker

Definitely not a bad start for Evann Baker, although he's 3-8 from the free throw line in his two games.

Still, Marshall and staff met with him, and from reading the comments afterwards I got the distinct impression that our guys thought they could do better this year. I for one certainly don't regret having WSU give Aaron Ellis that last 2007 scholarship instead of Baker, and I'm guessing that the coaches also think they matched or exceeded whatever Baker could have brought to the table in the future by signing Kyles and Murry.

Comment

Actually, I give Turgeon less than half the credit for Clemente. At the time MT left it was thought that Sampay would be a Shocker. With Sampay and Bowles, Clemente might have had the offer pulled. Sampay backing out of a rumored verbal commitment (supposedly just days before MT left, but never verified that I know of) opened the door for Clemente. Marshall had to seal that deal himself.

Comment

I really like this class so far. There are obviously some questions, as in where did the 4th come from, but those will all be answered in due time. My only question is are we done recruiting for the '08 class? Davis might still be an option, so I'm really just wondering whats going on.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                                I really like this class so far. There are obviously some questions, as in where did the 4th come from, but those will all be answered in due time. My only question is are we done recruiting for the '08 class? Davis might still be an option, so I'm really just wondering whats going on.
                                If you can't play, you can't stay.

Comment

Working...
                                X