No announcement yet.

Recruiting classes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no doubt that we are still recruiting Daniel Payne and will sign him if he wants to be a Shocker.
    In the fast lane

Comment

Re: Baker

Originally posted by WSUwatcher
      Definitely not a bad start for Evann Baker, although he's 3-8 from the free throw line in his two games.

Still, Marshall and staff met with him, and from reading the comments afterwards I got the distinct impression that our guys thought they could do better this year. I for one certainly don't regret having WSU give Aaron Ellis that last 2007 scholarship instead of Baker, and I'm guessing that the coaches also think they matched or exceeded whatever Baker could have brought to the table in the future by signing Kyles and Murry.
      For clarification we got Aaron Ellis because Ejike Hart never graduated from Junior College.

About Baker, you are correct. After reviewing tapes and meeting with Evann the staff was no longer interested in offering him a scholarship.
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

Must be great playing in front of 149 moderately interested fans at Quinnipiac.

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

I believe he gets to play with his brother which was one thing that he liked about it.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle

that is just really sad
            Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

not fair

Its not fair to compare the classes. I agree with Maggie. Coach M has the experience of recruiting to a successful program where as Turg was/is still learning. Things are going to be different when start recruiting for a bottom valley team with no ncaa's as compared to a pretty good valley team and a coach with multiple ncaa's.

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle

Is that a HS gym?

Comment

Re: not fair

Originally posted by shox2k2
                  Its not fair to compare the classes. I agree with Maggie. Coach M has the experience of recruiting to a successful program where as Turg was/is still learning. Things are going to be different when start recruiting for a bottom valley team with no ncaa's as compared to a pretty good valley team and a coach with multiple ncaa's.
                  So after a s16 he still hadn't learned how to recuit? Give me a break here!

Comment

Re: not fair

Originally posted by Zardoz
                    Originally posted by shox2k2
                    So after a s16 he still hadn't learned how to recuit? Give me a break here!
                    While I am generally more positive about MT than many are right now, I have to agree with Zardoz on this. The fact is that MT's best class was the Burns, Miller, Howard, and Kampman class, which was early in MT's tenure when recruiting would be theoretically more difficult.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                      Actually, I give Turgeon less than half the credit for Clemente. At the time MT left it was thought that Sampay would be a Shocker. With Sampay and Bowles, Clemente might have had the offer pulled. Sampay backing out of a rumored verbal commitment (supposedly just days before MT left, but never verified that I know of) opened the door for Clemente. Marshall had to seal that deal himself.
                      I didn't know that – I was under the impression that Sampay, Clemente, Bowles, Hart, Guy and Baker were all part of Turgeon's planned recruiting class. I do not remember the exact numbers but I believe Turgeon was going to make room by letting several players go – including Butler, Brown and Bradley. With Martin, Wilson and Karon graduating along with Ogirri leaving there would have been room for Clemente.

But if what you say is true, I agree. I would also give Marshall credit for convincing Clemente to come to WSU.

Comment

Baker's recruiting process seemed to indicate that there might be an 'attitude' problem there, and they often translate to 'inconsistent' performances on the court, and maybe dissension within the ranks. I personally think we are much better off now.

Comment

You might be right, Sampay has certainly had his issues. Regardless, I am happy with the players Marshall signed as well – especially Ellis.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                            Baker's recruiting process seemed to indicate that there might be an 'attitude' problem there, and they often translate to 'inconsistent' performances on the court, and maybe dissension within the ranks. I personally think we are much better off now.
                            I don't know. I monitored Evann's MySpace site during this process. Some of the quotes he'd leave there led me to think he was feeling pretty down, an indication that the balking was on WSU's part, not Baker's. He also listed WSU as a achool until just before he committed to Quinnipiac.

My personal opinion is that he was probably a little down due to the coaching change and even though he asked for a release, ultimately wanted to be a Shocker.

Comment

When you add in Hawkins, on paper this is the best recruiting class I can remember at WSU. I've seen Hawkins play many times and talked with those who have seen the incoming Frosh and they ALL can play. If EO doesn't make it here in time for this year and thus considered an 08 recruit, I would think comparisons to the AC/Levingston class might come up. In a word... Wow. 8)
                              Above all, make the right call.

Comment

good class

GM is off to a great start. I think the first full recruiting class is almost always going to be strong. The new coach tells potential recruits "you will be one of my guys," playing time is easier to hand out as a new coach, and it is really hard for oppossing teams to negatively recruit against a guy that does not have a history in the MVC/school etc. Plus there is a new and eciting story which helps.

The next step is finding the right pieces that round out future classes. No wasted scholarships...

Comment

Working...
                                X