No announcement yet.

Coach Turgeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turgeon was a joke. Like someone said “You can’t get those kind of players at this level” Turgeon said. He always reminded us that we weren’t as good as KU. As for high major when he left I remember something Marshall said when he first got here “I saw a player and asked if he was a walk on and it turned out he was on scholarship”. Turgeon didn’t leave Marshall anything but Matt Brauer at point. Other than that he left Marshall with no players of any value.

Comment

Originally posted by calfan View Post
      Turgeon was a joke. Like someone said “You can’t get those kind of players at this level” Turgeon said. He always reminded us that we weren’t as good as KU. As for high major when he left I remember something Marshall said when he first got here “I saw a player and asked if he was a walk on and it turned out he was on scholarship”. Turgeon didn’t leave Marshall anything but Matt Brauer at point. Other than that he left Marshall with no players of any value.
      PJ Cousinard was a baller too but point still well taken.

Comment

Ogirri was there as well but must not have liked the sound of Marshall’s coaching style because he ended up at Wyoming.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I've always thought that Turg earned his share of credit. He brought us out of 15 years of (a 4th place ending in the MVC was the best Randy could do and our best during that time span) losing, and into an era of several NIT's in a row, although we never won an NIT game with him, I don't think. We did achieve several MVC second places, and one MVC Championship/Sweet 16 year, and a Top 10 ranking, which was tall cotton during that time for us. But to say we were considered high-major by any of us or anyone else, is a little too much. Sorry, Turg, but you're not a HOF coach. You belong up at the same level as Gene Smithson who took us to #1 one week, a Sweet 16, Elite 8, and a 25-3 year during his tenure. Our two HOF coaches are Ralph Miller and of course Gregg Marshall who truly did have us at a high-major level for a number of years, and a decade of true success. Hopefully, we get back to the tourney this year.
          Comparing MT to Gene is quite generous in my book. Gene, also, brought us back to life after having only 1 solid year out of the previous 12.

Gene 8 years / 155-81 .657

Mark 7 years / 128-90 .587

Both ended on sour notes, but Fast Eddie used Gene's last year's players for 3 successful seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Topshock View Post
            :" And really built that thing up. That's probably the most pride I have in a program and what I was able to do ... When I left it there, I felt like it was a high-major program because of the way we left it. Really proud of what we did. Won a lot of games and made it a better place."

He and Tad Boyle put together a good team and perception wise made WSU a much more attractive job which led to GM..

But, make no mistake when he skipped out of town, he left the cupboard bare and stole the only good recruit WSU had committed. It was so bad that GM made the comment that he probably wouldn't have taken the job had he known how void of talent the roster was.
            Totally agree. And let me add this. Hey Mark? 'If you felt like you had left WSU at a high major level, then why did you leave the shockers for a job at a football school? Texas AM history in basketball can not compare to the Shockers or have anything close to the fan base support. Could it be because your arrogant self entitiled chickenhawk mentality that you felt you had done all you could for the little shocker program. Yeap I think that is it. That is why during your tenure we heard stupid qoutes like this from you. " It just so hard to compete" "You can't get good players At this level" "We recognize that it is always going to be KU and KState" WTF. But hey, I don't want to be too hard on you. Your leaving did allow the Shockers to get Coach Marshall and the rest is history as they say.

Comment

The best thing that happened during the Turg era was the facilities upgrade. That was gonna happen whether Turg was there or not so he shouldn’t take credit for that. His big class with Burns, Howard, Kampman and Miller was probably one of the most well rounded classes we’ve had as a group, will give him credit for that one.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Comparing MT to Gene is quite generous in my book. Gene, also, brought us back to life after having only 1 solid year out of the previous 12.

Gene 8 years / 155-81 .657

Mark 7 years / 128-90 .587

Both ended on sour notes, but Fast Eddie used Gene's last year's players for 3 successful seasons.
                My point wasn't that he was equal to Gene, but that he belonged in that tier and that one could make an argument. My personal rankings would be ..............

1. Gregg Marshall-He hasn't been voted to the HOF yet but I think he will be and he is the greatest Shocker coach. He has the most wins. He has more than 300 wins and is still winning. H1e has probably the best decade and prolonged success from 2010-2020 (although an argument could be made-i won't make it though- for Miller's 1955-1965 too). Numerous MVC Championships, F4, E8, S16, Top 10 Rankings, and some of our greatest players in history (FVV, Ron, Cle, Tekele, etc.)
                2. Ralph Miller-He is one of the all time greats of college coaches. He has a banner hanging in CKA honoring his long time success in Wichita and he is a HOF member who had winning programs at Iowa and Oregon State. He won MVC Championships, and brought us to national prominence with some of the best Shocker players in our history.
                3. Gene Smithson-His era ranks with the best in Shocker history. He brought us to a #1 ranking, Elite 8, Several years of Top 10 ranked teams, some of the best Shockers ever recruited to Wichita State (X, AC, Cliff, Aubrey, and the list could go on). I think he is a Shocker HOF member or he should be.
                4. Mark Turgeon-I mentioned his successes previously but he did bring us 1 MVC Championship, S16, and Top 10 Rankings. None of his players were Top 10 players but he had good players, a few that fit in the Top 20-25 Shockers of All Time.

IMO, Gregg and Ralph were in a tier all of their own, and Gene and Mark are obviously two of our top 4 coaches. Turgeon seemed to limit himself with his comments of "on our level" that he constantly mentioned. Gregg, Ralph, and Gene never felt that we were incapable of winning a National Championship and that was always their goal.

Comment

I give Turgeon significant credit for returning the program to CLOSE to where it was when GS was fired, but not as much credit as he gives himself. An ok coach, perhaps better than Fogler, But, his Sweet 16 with WSU has been a highlight to his career; only one sweet 16 with Maryland and I personally think he's underachieved while there, given the players he's had.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                    I've said it before, I'll say it again. Wichita State's natural position is a winning program. It takes incompetence for WSU to be a losing program. Mark Turgeon and Jim Schauss were competent people and thus Wichita State became a winner.

Of course, they did a great job. MT didn't leave on a great note, but he was at the helm when competence returned. But I credit Schauss for basically buying the clubs, the balls, paying for the round and setting the ball on the tee. MT had the ability to not top it, or shank it. He hit a good decent 235 yard shot down the fairway. Then on his approach, he hit a good looking shot, but the wind took it and it went into the bunker.

Marshall came in saved par out of the bunker, then finished the round going par par, birdie birdie. Eagle.

Comment

At least HCGM does not sugar coat it. What you see is what you get with him. MT is a fake nice guy. Total KU guy through and through.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                        I had a girlfriend around 15-20 years ago. Cute, sweet disposition, and in the cowboy position she could do this thing that I can only compare to a finishing move in Mortal Kombat: resistance was futile and the game was over. We broke up and my life has steadily improved ever since. I still remember her fondly.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                          I've said it before, I'll say it again. Wichita State's natural position is a winning program. It takes incompetence for WSU to be a losing program. Mark Turgeon and Jim Schauss were competent people and thus Wichita State became a winner.

Of course, they did a great job. MT didn't leave on a great note, but he was at the helm when competence returned. But I credit Schauss for basically buying the clubs, the balls, paying for the round and setting the ball on the tee. MT had the ability to not top it, or shank it. He hit a good decent 235 yard shot down the fairway. Then on his approach, he hit a good looking shot, but the wind took it and it went into the bunker.

Marshall came in saved par out of the bunker, then finished the round going par par, birdie birdie. Eagle.
                          I thought Gregg bogied the that first hole, but my memory is fading.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            The best thing that happened during the Turg era was the facilities upgrade. That was gonna happen whether Turg was there or not so he shouldn’t take credit for that. His big class with Burns, Howard, Kampman and Miller was probably one of the most well rounded classes we’ve had as a group, will give him credit for that one.
                            Others from that class that didn’t make it were Dion Sherrell and Jamie Sowers.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

I thought Gregg bogied the that first hole, but my memory is fading.
                              Nothing wrong with a boogie save, when you scramble partner just hit it in the water!
                              The Assman

Comment

Turgeon and Marshall were both the right hires for WSU at the respective times they were hired, and both men elevated the program. Mark Turgeon is owed a debt of gratitude, even if Shocker fans begrudgingly do so.

That said, Turgeon isn't even in the same galaxy as Gregg.
                                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                                X