X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fredster
    Originally posted by RoyalShock
    Prediction.

KU fails to make the tournament next year (even with the expansion to 96 teams) and Turgeon leaves for Lawrence one year after getting a significant raise.
    I don't get this. What are you saying?
    It is a joke.

Coach Self is not going anywhere.

Coach Turgeon is not going anywhere.
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by SFL
      Originally posted by mproviz
      It makes me wonder what we would paying Turgeon by now if he was still here.
      Probably close to what he's making at A&M... we'd have likely made a couple more trips to the big dance and 'other' schools knocking on his door would have resulted in JS and ES continuing to pony up more dough.

Folks, there is still some serious money in this community... don't ever underestimate it. If Marshall takes us to the dance next year (and it's likely he will), I predict a very large payday for him. I don't believe he will seriously consider leaving until EO graduates. He moved mountains to get him here and will want to see his efforts payoff.

And it's also a FACT that so-called mid-majors can make it to the Final Four. The tournament expansion may also keep coaches at their schools longer. Maybe it's just me, but I'm sensing that fewer coaches are going to be 'jumping ship' the next couple of years unless a job at KU, Duke, UNC, Michigan State or Kentucky opens up.

HCGM is loyal... I'm not worried!

Sorry, I forgot we were talking about coach Turgeon. :D
      And just how did you come up with this conclusion?!? 2/3s of his last season here was anything but stellar. His recruiting class that year would have been no better, maybe not as good as, as HCGM. Bowles was backing out of coming here and went the MT because he was headed to a BCS school. We'd probably gotten Sampay instead of Ramon (not a plus in my book). Had MT not back into a cushy situation at aTm with his connections and Gillespie leaving, he would have had no more success at WSU that following year than Marshall. MT, too, would have been in a rebuilding mode. Obviously, no facts, just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Fredster
        Originally posted by RoyalShock
        Prediction.

KU fails to make the tournament next year (even with the expansion to 96 teams) and Turgeon leaves for Lawrence one year after getting a significant raise.
        I don't get this. What are you saying?
        Yes, it's a joke.

If you'll recall the last time Turgeon got a raise amid speculation of him leaving (OU in '06) he left a year later.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk
          Originally posted by SFL
          Probably close to what he's making at A&M... we'd have likely made a couple more trips to the big dance and 'other' schools knocking on his door would have resulted in JS and ES continuing to pony up more dough.

Folks, there is still some serious money in this community... don't ever underestimate it. If Marshall takes us to the dance next year (and it's likely he will), I predict a very large payday for him. I don't believe he will seriously consider leaving until EO graduates. He moved mountains to get him here and will want to see his efforts payoff.

And it's also a FACT that so-called mid-majors can make it to the Final Four. The tournament expansion may also keep coaches at their schools longer. Maybe it's just me, but I'm sensing that fewer coaches are going to be 'jumping ship' the next couple of years unless a job at KU, Duke, UNC, Michigan State or Kentucky opens up.

And just how did you come up with this conclusion?!? 2/3s of his last season here was anything but stellar. His recruiting class that year would have been no better, maybe not as good as, as HCGM. Bowles was backing out of coming here and went the MT because he was headed to a BCS school. We'd probably gotten Sampay instead of Ramon (not a plus in my book). Had MT not back into a cushy situation at aTm with his connections and Gillespie leaving, he would have had no more success at WSU that following year than Marshall. MT, too, would have been in a rebuilding mode. Obviously, no facts, just my opinion.
          I think you're wrong; however that's just my opinion. :D
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by SFL

To be fair with MT on his recruiting that year, although he had not committed, Tristan Thompson from Texas was planning on being a Shocker before Mark left. He ended up at North Texas and was one of the leading scorers on their NCAA team.
            In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU
              Originally posted by SFL

I think you're wrong; however that's just my opinion. :D
              Sure it is. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox
                Originally posted by SFL

To be fair with MT on his recruiting that year, although he had not committed, Tristan Thompson from Texas was planning on being a Shocker before Mark left. He ended up at North Texas and was one of the leading scorers on their NCAA team.
                To be fair, he has improved each season, but it is North Texas from the #23 ranked conference.

Comment

Well, for a change I TRIED to say something nice about Mark's last year.
                  In the fast lane

Comment

I do not think MT would have been any more successful than HCGM his first year here. Bigger schools can pay more money, and always have. I seriously doubt WSU could pay 1.2 or 1.5 mil a year for a coach, especially in this economy.

Marshall, in my opinion, is a better recruiter and bench coach than Turgeon was (at the time). Turgeon has improved greatly since he has been at ATM, especially on bench coaching, and he uis recruiting some good talent, part of which is because of the school and part of which is because of Turgeon. And I don't think he would leave ATM for Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                      I seriously doubt WSU could pay 1.2 or 1.5 mil a year for a coach, especially in this economy.
                      You don't know money people in Wichita, then...

Big donors always recognize Value, and will spend the money on the right person.
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle
                        I seriously doubt WSU could pay 1.2 or 1.5 mil a year for a coach, especially in this economy.

Big donors always recognize Value, and will spend the money on the right person.
                        There is at least one billionaire and maybe another.

There are several worth over $250,000,000.

There are several worth over $100,000,000.

There is plenty of wealth in this community.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio
                          Originally posted by wu_shizzle

There is at least one billionaire and maybe another.

There are several worth over $250,000,000.

There are several worth over $100,000,000.

There is plenty of wealth in this community.
                          Cool ...I hope its there when its needed....I certainly dont doubt the wealth and large donors available in Wichita....I wasnt sure of the number willing to support WSU in this endeavor though.
                          1/16/2010 on the "Screw at the Q" HCGM... " Ive never seen a foul parade like that...If you would of let me know it was going to be a foul parade I would of brought a different team" .... "dont talk to me about fouls....Ive got to go back and look at some tape... I have some thoughts but I need to look at the tape and then I will have something very strong to say"

Comment

Texas A&M coach Mark Turgeon has agreed to a contract extension to remain with the Aggies.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio
                              Isn't 9 days from when the story initially came out a long?

Comment

Turgeon on winning an NCAA title, replacing Gary, playing style - 247 Sports

By JEFF ERMANN
                                May 4, 9:47 PM

"ON BUILDING UP WICHITA STATE - We just loved Wichita. We had Wichita State fans, we had KU fans, and then we became friends with a lot of Kansas State Wildcat fans. So we just had a great group of friends. So I had an unbelievable president in Don Baggs and maybe the best A.D. I've been around in Jim Schaus And these two guys just had experience, they believed in me and they gave me everything I needed to be successful. We weren't very good. Once again we started out like 4-1, I thought it was easy. We beat Oklahoma State, I think they were No. 10 in the country. We beat Kansas State in my first game. We were 4-1, I was like, 'Oh my gosh, I'm gonna kill it.' I think we were like 3-15 in league play, something like that. Started out 4-1. But I had an AD that believed in me. After two years, he doubled my salary with a losing record. We went 15-15 in my second year, had three freshmen on the all-freshman team in the league and just battled. We went from eight wins or nine wins to 15 wins, to 20 wins, to 22 wins, to 23 wins and then the Sweet 16. So we just kept getting better.

"Man we grinded and we got it there. And we built a new practice facility with the help of Charles Koch. And really built that thing up. That's probably the most pride I have in a program and what I was able to do ... When I left it there, I felt like it was a high-major program because of the way we left it. Really proud of what we did. Won a lot of games and made it a better place."

Comment

Working...
                                X