Coach Turgeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
    Turgeon on winning an NCAA title, replacing Gary, playing style - 247 Sports

By JEFF ERMANN
    May 4, 9:47 PM

"ON BUILDING UP WICHITA STATE - We just loved Wichita. We had Wichita State fans, we had KU fans, and then we became friends with a lot of Kansas State Wildcat fans. So we just had a great group of friends. So I had an unbelievable president in Don Baggs and maybe the best A.D. I've been around in Jim Schaus And these two guys just had experience, they believed in me and they gave me everything I needed to be successful. We weren't very good. Once again we started out like 4-1, I thought it was easy. We beat Oklahoma State, I think they were No. 10 in the country. We beat Kansas State in my first game. We were 4-1, I was like, 'Oh my gosh, I'm gonna kill it.' I think we were like 3-15 in league play, something like that. Started out 4-1. But I had an AD that believed in me. After two years, he doubled my salary with a losing record. We went 15-15 in my second year, had three freshmen on the all-freshman team in the league and just battled. We went from eight wins or nine wins to 15 wins, to 20 wins, to 22 wins, to 23 wins and then the Sweet 16. So we just kept getting better.

"Man we grinded and we got it there. And we built a new practice facility with the help of Charles Koch. And really built that thing up. That's probably the most pride I have in a program and what I was able to do ... When I left it there, I felt like it was a high-major program because of the way we left it. Really proud of what we did. Won a lot of games and made it a better place."
    A lot of me’s and I’s right there...

Comment

"Man we grinded and we got it there. And we built a new practice facility with the help of Charles Koch. And really built that thing up. That's probably the most pride I have in a program and what I was able to do ... When I left it there, I felt like it was a high-major program because of the way we left it. Really proud of what we did. Won a lot of games and made it a better place."
      Boy, am I confused.

Now, I certainly give him credit for bringing WSU basketball back to life, but let's just not get carried away.

Comment

I see he didn’t mention going from #8 in the country to bottoming out in his final season, leaving only PJ and Mattie B behind.
        The Assman

Comment

Sounds like he learned a lot over the years. Nice to see him remembering the good 'ole days and what helped him lead him up the ladder.
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

By JEFF ERMANN

"ON BUILDING UP WICHITA STATE - We just loved Wichita. We had Wichita State fans, we had KU fans, and then we became friends with a lot of Kansas State Wildcat fans. So we just had a great group of friends. So I had an unbelievable president in Don Baggs and maybe the best A.D. I've been around in Jim Schaus And these two guys just had experience, they believed in me and they gave me everything I needed to be successful. We weren't very good. Once again we started out like 4-1, I thought it was easy. We beat Oklahoma State, I think they were No. 10 in the country. We beat Kansas State in my first game. We were 4-1, I was like, 'Oh my gosh, I'm gonna kill it.' I think we were like 3-15 in league play, something like that. Started out 4-1. But I had an AD that believed in me. After two years, he doubled my salary with a losing record. We went 15-15 in my second year, had three freshmen on the all-freshman team in the league and just battled. We went from eight wins or nine wins to 15 wins, to 20 wins, to 22 wins, to 23 wins and then the Sweet 16. So we just kept getting better.

"Won a lot of games and made it a better place." Wow.

Comment

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Wichita State's natural position is a winning program. It takes incompetence for WSU to be a losing program. Mark Turgeon and Jim Schauss were competent people and thus Wichita State became a winner.

Of course, they did a great job. MT didn't leave on a great note, but he was at the helm when competence returned. But I credit Schauss for basically buying the clubs, the balls, paying for the round and setting the ball on the tee. MT had the ability to not top it, or shank it. He hit a good decent 235 yard shot down the fairway. Then on his approach, he hit a good looking shot, but the wind took it and it went into the bunker.

Marshall came in saved par out of the bunker, then finished the round going par par, birdie birdie. Eagle.

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Nice golf analogy. Would have expected this from AACSHOX

Comment

Agreed...PERFECT analogy!

Comment

I had a girlfriend around 15-20 years ago. Cute, sweet disposition, and in the cowboy position she could do this thing that I can only compare to a finishing move in Mortal Kombat: resistance was futile and the game was over. We broke up and my life has steadily improved ever since. I still remember her fondly.
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

We first got tix when Turg showed up. Turned the program around, no question. I dunno if we would have kept tix if he woulda stayed. Was tired of those (Jack Hartman-like) 52-50 games.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                        Cute, sweet disposition, and in the cowboy position she could do this thing that I can only compare to a finishing move in Mortal Kombat: resistance was futile and the game was over.
                        You dated a cowgirl? Exciting! My wife has an accounting position and doesn't know any karate.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Turg deserves credit but his “felt like it was a high major program” is not consistent with his “at this level” comments that the Great One 3G disavows thankfully.

Comment

I've met Turgeon a few times and think he is a world class asshole.

I still think his Sweet Sixteen was due to perfect matchups, although I loved watching that team. Marshall has had 6 or 7 teams that were better than the 2006 team. It's a good thing that Turg is in a recruiting-rich area.

I've said enough already.

Comment

:" And really built that thing up. That's probably the most pride I have in a program and what I was able to do ... When I left it there, I felt like it was a high-major program because of the way we left it. Really proud of what we did. Won a lot of games and made it a better place."

He and Tad Boyle put together a good team and perception wise made WSU a much more attractive job which led to GM..

But, make no mistake when he skipped out of town, he left the cupboard bare and stole the only good recruit WSU had committed. It was so bad that GM made the comment that he probably wouldn't have taken the job had he known how void of talent the roster was.
                              Last edited by Topshock; May 6, 2020, 09:11 AM.

Comment

By JEFF ERMANN

https://247sports.com/college/maryla...pes-146809464/

"ON BUILDING UP WICHITA STATE -That's probably the most pride I have in a program and what I was able to do ... When I left it there, I felt like it was a high-major program because of the way we left it. Really proud of what we did. Won a lot of games and made it a better place."
                                I've always thought that Turg earned his share of credit. He brought us out of 15 years of (a 4th place ending in the MVC was the best Randy could do and our best during that time span) losing, and into an era of several NIT's in a row, although we never won an NIT game with him, I don't think. We did achieve several MVC second places, and one MVC Championship/Sweet 16 year, and a Top 10 ranking, which was tall cotton during that time for us. But to say we were considered high-major by any of us or anyone else, is a little too much. Sorry, Turg, but you're not a HOF coach. You belong up at the same level as Gene Smithson who took us to #1 one week, a Sweet 16, Elite 8, and a 25-3 year during his tenure. Our two HOF coaches are Ralph Miller and of course Gregg Marshall who truly did have us at a high-major level for a number of years, and a decade of true success. Hopefully, we get back to the tourney this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X