Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22
    Mike and 21,

Yes, we're all excited about everyone that's returning and the new pieces brought in and they've all been talked about before as well. With Ehimen's troubles things have taken off. But I don't think anyone is expecting us to be great out of the box. Most have predicted we'll have more wins this year than we did last year and that's about it. Most expectations are on the 09-10 season when they all have some experience under their belt.

The "over the top" comments on here shouldn't be taken 100% seriously and I'm sure they weren't inteded to be. Ehimen is a great athlete. That's been said by everyone who's seen him and they're good judges of talent. He can come in here and be a defensive presence like we haven't seen in a long time. That's not much of a stretch considering he's 7 feet tall and is known for D and blocking shots. When's the last time we had one of those???

Nobody is thinking we build the team around Ehimen. He's not an offensive threat. At least not yet. Nobody has ever said that we're putting the others around him to play second fiddle. Where that comment came from I have no idea.

I think the only high expectations for any of the newcomers this season has been AJ. And that's because he's proven he can play at a fairly high level in the A-10 which isn't a horrible league. He would have been considered one of the better returners last year had he returned. Coach and PJ have raved about his abilities.

Don't get me wrong, I don't completely disagree with what you've said, it just appears to have been a little much with what's actually being said about the players. At least in how I've read things.

If anyone is expecting a Valley Title and return to the Dance this year they're expecting too much. But I haven't seen anything close to that in expectations.
    Sub, you're right. I went back quite a ways and it really is more toned down than I thought. Very few "over the top" comments. Lots of excitement about EO getting here, but not that many overblown expectations.

Now, the important time will be after Shocker Madness when we get our 1st eyefull of these kids. It will be easy to get overly excited when that time comes. I think we did last year.

Thanks for causing me to go back and look at what was really being said again. :good:

Comment

• Shox 21---Your concerns are valid but the reasons for this long thread must be put in perspective. The fact that Ehimen's process of becoming a Shocker has now been probably over a year explains why it is the longest thread by far of all of the other recruits. We are excited but I think we all are aware that his player development will also take some time. Paul Miller had by far his best year during his Senior year.

This thread is a record length due to the circumstances that surround it. Once Orukpe becomes a Shocker, we have our twin towers in place. When was the last time we had that at 21st and Hillside? Also, we have talked alot about the Shocker team in general, and our other players, the weather, and every thing else but the kitchen sink on this thread. Therefore, no disrespect is intended.

Mulligan!!!!!!! Where is the culprit that started all of this Shocker madness?
      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Does anyone know if that porcelain patch compound really works? My kitchen sink has this little crack in it.

OK, now that's out of the way.

every thing else but the kitchen sink
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snapshot9
          Questions:

1) Does EO get to practice at SCA? If so, with anyone?
          2) It was mentioned he gets to play in pickup games at CKA? Is that right, with him not being enrolled at WSU yet?

3) With tuition at SCA at $5300, who is paying for him to be at SCA?
          4) Plus, he needs some Shocker gear to wear, and some good ole fashioned American hamburgers down him!!! .... LOL
          1. EO is the same as any other high school student, to the best of my knowledge. He can practice with his "high school" coach and "high school" team. HCGM and the rest of the staff cannot spend any time coaching him. They must treat him like any other recruit still.
          2. Any body can play in a pick-up game at the Chuck or anywhere else for that matter. A lot of high school players from around the city go and shoot around down there and interact with our players. The reason for this is there can be no structured practice until a certain date(if what I heard was correct its somewhere close to or the first week of school).
          3. He is a high school student and really it is none of our business were that comes from but someone on here said his dad was an engineer...and it wouldn't be the full $5300 since he is not going for a full year if the way I understand SCA's system is correct.
          4. I have no knowledge of what is happening with this regard but I can personally gaurantee that the good people at my alma matter are taking very good care of him. And they all like hamburgers down there so I'm sure he will get his choice of all the hamburgers he could eat.

On another note, I'm sure he is jusy (or maybe almost) as happy to be here as we are to have him here. This has been a long road for everyone and he has had to work hard himself to get here. We have certain expectations that I'm sure he will meet and maybe one or two (like being able to fly an ultralight) that might be outta reach. He is a very good, but raw, talent. If HCGM can mold him, and if he is willing to be molded, then he will kick some serious tail in the years to come. It may be raining all over Wichita right now but God, and the sun, is shinning on that hill at 21st and Hillside. Go shox!!

Comment

• Is it any surprise that FSF had post number 1111?
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• SubGod22---Wow!!!!!!! You are right!!!!!!! Now sometimes it is better to be lucky than just good. As they say---"Even a blind squirrel finds an occaisional acorn."
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockall
                I'm not sure they can be considered legit until they can prove they can play college basketball. It's way, way, too early to claim any incoming player as legit. Look at all the players we've had in the past 5 years that have not played much at the college level, although they were high school stars.
                But you also have to take into consideration that we had a coach that thought he couldn't recruit at a certain level as well so he may have just "settled". This current coach WILL NOT SETTLE, as was evidenced by his endeavors to get certain players.

And also if anyone wants, we can get the Stutz and others threads going again too. I'm sure we can get the Stutz one up to 50 pages if we try. But this particlar thread has gotten a little bit off subject and has fully encompassed the whole team and program the past few pages.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock
                  Originally posted by Snapshot9
                  Questions:

1) Does EO get to practice at SCA? If so, with anyone?
                  2) It was mentioned he gets to play in pickup games at CKA? Is that right, with him not being enrolled at WSU yet?

3) With tuition at SCA at $5300, who is paying for him to be at SCA?
                  4) Plus, he needs some Shocker gear to wear, and some good ole fashioned American hamburgers down him!!! .... LOL
                  1) I don't think that's why he's at Sunrise. And no he can't "Practice"
                  2) Yes. they are for anyone to play in
                  3) ???
                  4) This is the right weekend for hamburgers
                  I disagree with 4).......with the state track meet having gone on today, and the Missouri State pitching coach in town, it will be virtually impossible to find enough for the big guy.

Comment

• The baseball team did their part by getting "Cheese" McGuttin out of town as soon as possible.

Gotta be careful about the Shocker gear. I'd suggest giving SCA about 4 each size of Shocker gear and then SCA can distribute Shocker gear to any student. That might not even work. SCA might not want to risk it.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by shox8498
                      I disagree with 4).......with the state track meet having gone on today, and the Missouri State pitching coach in town, it will be virtually impossible to find enough for the big guy.
                      That might be true. Maybe someone will take him to one of the lakes and let him roam from campsite to campsite until they just have to carry him from eating too much.

I'm sure they won't have a hard time getting a little bit of meat on his bones. Unless he's got one of those weird metabolisms that I wish I had where you eat everything in site and don't gain an ounce.

Comment

• any chance of a group recruit picture soon?
                        For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
                        - said no one ever...

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxilla
                          any chance of a group recruit picture soon?
                          Maybe late this summer when they all get here and they are having a pickup game.

Comment

• I can't believe there haven't been any posts in this in 5 1/2 hours. People must be slipping up. :)

Comment

• Has anyone actually seen EO ? A few spy photos would be great !!!

:wsu_posters:

Comment

• Originally posted by moshock
                                Has anyone actually seen EO ? A few spy photos would be great !!!

:wsu_posters:
                                I haven't, but I CAN link you to the new spy photos of the 2009 Chevy Camaro. Very nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X