Conference Realignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
    How about we just become better and start making NCAA tournaments again, I'm way more interested in that rather than conference realignment dreams.
    Because the discussion at hand has nothing to do with WSU going anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

We were also coming off nearly a decade of success that was overall better than any other school already in the AAC (and most of the country for that matter). Rivaled by UCONN obviously who had higher highs but lower lows AND CHEATING!

Edit for factual accuracy. :)

Loyola is literally the definition of a flash in the pan type school.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Because the discussion at hand has nothing to do with WSU going anywhere?
        EXACTLY!!

Comment

Wichita could go somewhere. My dream, which probably won't every happen, is for the Shockers to move to the Big East. It's actually a great fit. No football, and if Wichita State were added, you split the conference with WSU, Creighton, Marquette, Xavier, Butler and DePaul in the west. You still would play Georgetown, UConn, Nova, Providence, St John's and Seton Hall every year.

If all the dominos fell and the American wanted to expand football with a bunch of Big 12 castoffs, this could be awesome. Everyone would win.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
            Wichita could go somewhere. My dream, which probably won't every happen, is for the Shockers to move to the Big East. It's actually a great fit. No football, and if Wichita State were added, you split the conference with WSU, Creighton, Marquette, Xavier, Butler and DePaul in the west. You still would play Georgetown, UConn, Nova, Providence, St John's and Seton Hall every year.

If all the dominos fell and the American wanted to expand football with a bunch of Big 12 castoffs, this could be awesome. Everyone would win.
            I will say, we have more to gain than the Big East with that, but that's why it's good to have a home value in the lower half of your neighborhood. Your home value is the one that's enhanced.

Still unlikely IMHO, but I would actually like that setup better than the American, even though we are in a good situation.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

I will say, we have more to gain than the Big East with that, but that's why it's good to have a home value in the lower half of your neighborhood. Your home value is the one that's enhanced.

Still unlikely IMHO, but I would actually like that setup better than the American, even though we are in a good situation.
              My realignment fear is if the B12 implodes, and the big boys from there go wherever, that the leftovers like TTU, Baylor, K-State, ISU, OSU, etc. combine with the bigger names in the AAC to create a new conference. We likely wouldn't be in that convo, and it could turn into MVC v2.0 for us.

Comment

My realignment fear is if the B12 implodes, and the big boys from there go wherever, that the leftovers like TTU, Baylor, K-State, ISU, OSU, etc. combine with the bigger names in the AAC to create a new conference. We likely wouldn't be in that convo, and it could turn into MVC v2.0 for us.
                I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Comment

I think your fears are reaching, but anything will be possible if extensive realignment takes place so I wouldn’t totally discount them. I just think odds are against your scenario. Our basketball program is too respected at the present time to be left with the MVC.

Comment

That's a definite possibility. It's going to come down to whether the bottom end of the B12 and the top end of the AAC could attract a better TV package (per school) than the bottom end of the B12 joining the AAC. Could also hinge somewhat on who is negotiating. The bottom half of the B12 would have to hire someone to go head-to-head with Aresco.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

The bottom end of the big 12 aren’t overwhelming basketball powers. I think they would need us for the basketball rep. Like the big 10 taking the buzzards certainly isn’t for their pigskin prowess.

Comment

I'm just gonna make myself a little list for my own pleasure. Nothing to see here. You don't have to tell me it won't happen. I know...I just wanted to visualize it. Dang, it really looks just as great on paper as I hoped it would.

1. Wichita State/Navy
                        2. Kansas State
                        3. Tulsa
                        4. Oklahoma State
                        5. SMU
                        6. TCU
                        7. Houston
                        8. Tulane

9. Iowa State
                        10. West Virginia
                        11. Cincinnati
                        12. Temple
                        13. Memphis
                        14. East Carolina
                        15. UCF
                        16. USF

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                          The bottom end of the big 12 aren’t overwhelming basketball powers. I think they would need us for the basketball rep. Like the big 10 taking the buzzards certainly isn’t for their pigskin prowess.
                          I mean the bottom end of the B12 (in profile) would be MBB programs like WVU, ISU, TTU, Baylor, K-State, OSU, etc. Those would be top half programs in the AAC very, very easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                            At its current state, the University of Kansas isn't getting into the B1G. Period. If the Jayhawks somehow begin a winning tradition in football and continue to invest in football facilities, maybe. Right now, its a hard no.

The B1G has been very deliberate in their decisions so far. Nebraska was an abject failure as a footbal addition. But the intent with Nebraska was football and nothing else. How can a basketball program help bail out a football mistake? It can't. Rutgers and Maryland were added for eyeballs and to shore up interest in the east. The next two and final members will be to improve football overall and shore up the football weakness in the west. Kansas does not do that.

I see people on Shockernet talk about KU to the B1G, posters on the Phog think KU to the B1G is a foregone coclusion. When I attend Chiefs games, I hear over and over about how the Jayhawks will end up in the B1G. This is a fantasy. The deeper you get into B1G territory, the less you hear of the Jayhawks being a good fit. You hear about how the basketball would be "nice" but not a key target. If you get as far as Ohio and Penssylvania east, Kansas is really low. Both Texas and Oklahoma are big wants for the B1G. Notre Dame would be the holy grail, but they are locked up for now in the ACC.

When Rutgers was added, their local rag did a piece on who would be next for expansion, Kansas made the list, but nearly on the bottom. I'll include the link. But as of now, Kansas to the B1G is something that doesn't get much traction outside of the current Big 12 region, the state of Kansas specifically. What really could gum up the works but be really interesting is if the P-4 (P-5 minus the Big 12) traded a few members amongst themselves to build better conferences both competitively and by logistics. Then each fill to 16 with the best left in the Big 12 and elsewhere.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2...es_if_big.html

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Here is an article from Norman, OK, with the Sooners and Longhorns as B1G favorites. https://247sports.com/college/oklaho...rns-125965141/

Comment

If UT and OU leave in 2024 (when the b12's TV contract expires), the B12 is history. They'd be down to 8 schools.They might go after Memphis, Houston, Cincy, and one more, or the AAC may go after OSU, TT, Baylor, and TCU. That would give the AAC tremendous exposure in Texas.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X