No announcement yet.

Conference Realignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When your most successful three year period in your programs history involves ONE tourney invite...
    You aren't a good program.

Let's be honest, as cool as that final four run was to them... That was one of the luckiest runs I've ever seen. Not only in having unlikely shots fall, but they managed to play FIVE games in the tourney without facing a 1 or 2 seed. By comparison the WSU final four run had 3 of 5 games versus 1 or 2 seeds.

And Memphis as a basketball only? Their football program is way stronger than their basketball program. If they move to the SEC it would be for football. No one is clamoring to gain a basketball program that has missed the last 6 tourneys

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post

https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/06/...rios-consider/

2. NCAA Basketball realignment scenario – Loyola-Chicago to the AAC
      Currently in the midst of their most successful three year period in program history, the Ramblers have made their way onto the radar of other more prominent athletic conferences after their run to the Final Four in 2018....
      Didn't Loyola win the National Championship in 1963?

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
        When your most successful three year period in your programs history involves ONE tourney invite...
        You aren't a good program.

Let's be honest, as cool as that final four run was to them... That was one of the luckiest runs I've ever seen. Not only in having unlikely shots fall, but they managed to play FIVE games in the tourney without facing a 1 or 2 seed. By comparison the WSU final four run had 3 of 5 games versus 1 or 2 seeds.

And Memphis as a basketball only? Their football program is way stronger than their basketball program. If they move to the SEC it would be for football. No one is clamoring to gain a basketball program that has missed the last 6 tourneys
        1. Memphis basketball only to the SEC is not going to happen. While the AAC would hate to have Memphis football or basketball leave, I don't think they'd allow one or the other to leave without telling Memphis to find another conference for the rest of their sports.

2. and 4. More likely, Dayton and VCU to the AAC and Vermont (or Buffalo) and Loyola to the A10.

3. Just don't see the Zags as a basketball only in the Pac-12.

5. (and 3.) More likely NM St , Zags, BYU, and maybe St. Mary's to the MWC?

Comment

The SEC isnt going to allow basketball only members, so the premise dies at the starting gate.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

That article is chock full of scenarios that have 0% chance of actually happening.

No "P5" conference is going to take a basketball only school. Not even Gonzaga.

Loyola to the AAC makes me violently ill and laugh hysterically at the same time. I feel like (no hard evidence to back it up) adding WSU was a hard sell to conference leadership and took quite a bit of lobbying by some members of the AAC, one of which is no longer in the conference. No way Loyola gets through this gauntlet.

Vermont? The A-10? They're more likely to pick a Valley team to move up. This is a realistic possibility for Loyola.

NMSU to the MWC is the only scenario worth considering. I am not privy to the dynamic between UNM and NMSU, so I have no clue if UNM would support it.

"It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Here is my re alignment guesses and have as much validity as the aforementioned re alignment scenario
              1. Oklahoma and OSU to the sec
              2. Kansas to the BIG
              3. Texas Texas Tech and Baylor to the PAC 12
              4. KSU ISU TCU all to the AAC

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                Here is my re alignment guesses and have as much validity as the aforementioned re alignment scenario
                2. Kansas to the BIG
                What conference gets WV?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

What conference gets WV?
                  WV goes to the SEC or ACC. Probably the SEC. It's a race to be one of the 16 teams in the P-4. Not to start a shitstorm, but Kansas is in no way poised for a move to the B1G. The Big 10 needs another basketball power like they need a hole in the head. And outside of basketball. Kansas brings zero to the table. How is adding Kansas basketball going to fill the B1G's football void in the West division of the conference? It's not. Oklahoma and Texas to the B1G, both prefer that option to the Pac. The rest of the Big 12 scrambles to get in the SEC, ACC and Pac.

In all honesty, Kansas should look to the west. They would do themselves well to curry favor with the Pac. Plus, the Pac needs four schools to get to 16, a much easier sell.
                  There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

2. Kansas to the BIG
                    I like this with a couple changes

kansas and ISU to the BIG

KSU, WVU, TCU to the AAC
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

2. Kansas to the BIG
                      You're not giving yourself enough credit. I think your moves make more sense than the "journalists" scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

Loyola to the AAC makes me violently ill and laugh hysterically at the same time. I feel like (no hard evidence to back it up) adding WSU was a hard sell to conference leadership and took quite a bit of lobbying by some members of the AAC, one of which is no longer in the conference. No way Loyola gets through this gauntlet.
                        We were also coming off nearly a decade of success that was overall better than any other school already in the AAC (and most of the country for that matter). Rivaled by UCONN obviously who had higher highs but lower lows.

Loyola is literally the definition of a flash in the pan type school.

Comment

I love a good conference realignment discussion. I'd love to see all the P4 go to 16ish with the Big 12 dissolving and the cast offs go to the AAC to make a very legitimate new power conference in football. Maybe it would be openly disrespected for a while, but if you throw in some of those power programs being mentioned, the AAC would easily compete as long as there is a level playing field.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                            I love a good conference realignment discussion. I'd love to see all the P4 go to 16ish with the Big 12 dissolving and the cast offs go to the AAC to make a very legitimate new power conference in football. Maybe it would be openly disrespected for a while, but if you throw in some of those power programs being mentioned, the AAC would easily compete as long as there is a level playing field.
                            IMO, as long as Texas is around and wants to be in the Big 12, the Big 12 will exist. If Texas decides to leave, then the conference likely implodes. They control that conference (along with OU to a lesser extent), whether the squakers up in Larry Land believe it or not.

Comment

How about we just become better and start making NCAA tournaments again, I'm way more interested in that rather than conference realignment dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

IMO, as long as Texas is around and wants to be in the Big 12, the Big 12 will exist. If Texas decides to leave, then the conference likely implodes. They control that conference (along with OU to a lesser extent), whether the squakers up in Larry Land believe it or not.
                                The Big 12 begins and ends with the Longhorn Network. The LHN has been a disaster since day one and with cord cutting and streaming, it's a less valuable product now than ever. That said, Texas cant walk away from it, and neither the Pac or B1G will allow Texas to join if Texas maintains their own network. So the Big 12 will stay together as long as Texas can keep cobbling it. Oklahoma has a deal with Fox, but being Fox, OU's deal could much more easily be rolled into the Big 10 or Pac 12 network. I think there's still contractually a decade left of the LHN, we'll see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X