Conference Realignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conference Realignment

There is rampant speculation all over the web that Pitt is bolting the Big East to be the twelfth member of the Big Ten. (Sorry, not totally sure how to use the link function here, but here's the link to the Pitt scout board re: the move http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=141&f=2455&t=5548100). If this happens, the Big East will surely raid Conference USA for an eighth football member (I would think Memphis would be a natural fit with their decent basketball tradition and a functioning football program - that's about all you can say about their FB team). If this happens, imo WSU needs to be going all out to get into C-USA. Obviously WSU doesn't have FB but C-USA has had basketball only members as recently as 2005. Maybe a C-USA bid could even provide the impetus to bring FB back? Hey, I can dream can't I?

I know this whole idea may sound fanciful, but after browsing the "lack of respect" thread, I think a lot of it results from being in the MVC. C-USA is definitely a higher profile conference, and WSU could rekindle the great rivalry with Tulsa on a yearly basis (I know the schools have a few games scheduled but this would be permanent). What do you guys think about this?

Not sure how CUSA would look without Memphis though. It suffered some when L'ville left.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

12 football teams needed to have a league championship game.

WSU will need football to be 12th member of conf USA. Maybe they could get in as an 13th member but I can't see that happening.

Comment

And how, exactly does Conference USA help us without Memphis? Who's the marquee team then? UTEP? UAB? True, we'd get the Tulsa rivalry back, but do we really get more exposure with a Memphis-less C-USA? I fear we'd be seen as the sloppy seconds in this scenario.

Just my $0.02.

:clap: :wsu_posters: :yahoo: :clap:

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyShock
          And how, exactly does Conference USA help us without Memphis? Who's the marquee team then? UTEP? UAB? True, we'd get the Tulsa rivalry back, but do we really get more exposure with a Memphis-less C-USA? I fear we'd be seen as the sloppy seconds in this scenario.

Just my $0.02.

I think C-USA gets more exposure simply because they are in bigger markets.

In the MVC, it's Omaha, then us, then... Springfield?

In C-USA, we'd be towards the middle or bottom of the pack.
          The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

The C-USA might not be great, but I think it's a step up from The Valley. UAB and UTEP might not be "major" names, but I think they provide for more TV and exposure than Creighton and Southern Illinois.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl

Just my $0.02.

Interesting point, picking up Houston (twice), Birmingham, New Orleans could garner us some exposure, but if you take that logic to its extreme we should be trying to get in the MAAC because between Manhattan, Iona, and Marist we'd get the entire NYC metro area. Raleigh-Durham is only a modest market, but there's no doubt they rule the NCAA roost.

Comment

C-USA would be a step up for baseball, no question.
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by rjl

Just my $0.02.

Minor clarification. Just this week I read a post on the MSU board discussing Valley TV markets and Wichita was the largest.

Comment

Holy cow, Royal, you are correct. According to tvb.org, based on total TV households, Wichita-Hutchinson Plus is #69 at 452,710 and Omaha #76 at 410,350.
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                      Originally posted by rjl

Just my $0.02.

Minor clarification. Just this week I read a post on the MSU board discussing Valley TV markets and Wichita was the largest.
                      Is it because the "Wichita" television market technically includes Salina, Topeka, and all of Western Kansas through the Cox 22 deal?

Just for grins, I ranked us in terms of C-USA markets by the metro-population of the schools' locations (assuming Memphis bolts).

1. SMU
                      2t. Rice
                      2t. Houston
                      4. UCF
                      5. UAB
                      6. Tulane
                      7. UTEP
                      8. Tulsa
                      9. WSU
                      10. Southern Miss.
                      11. Marshall
                      12. ECU
                      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

With all the southern schools...wouldnt that hurt us with the weather we have and baseball...we would be behind...or does the new indoor facilities help even that out?

It would be a small step up in BB though..isnt there a better fit for us in some other conference
                        1/16/2010 on the "Screw at the Q" HCGM... " Ive never seen a foul parade like that...If you would of let me know it was going to be a foul parade I would of brought a different team" .... "dont talk to me about fouls....Ive got to go back and look at some tape... I have some thoughts but I need to look at the tape and then I will have something very strong to say"

Comment

never ever gonna happen

Comment

I'm still kind of surprised there hasn't been a shake-up in the Big East, dropping back to 12 teams. When is DePaul, St Johns, Seton Hall, Providence, South Florida, and Rutgers going to figure it out that they are nothing more than Ws to the other 8. Since the expansion 05-06, only Seton Hall and Providence (once each) has finish in the top half. I can somewhat understand Rutgers and USF, but Big East football is nothing to write home about either.

Most of these schools have a good history in basketball and realigning themselves elsewhere would surely help their chances of dancing more often. For travel purposes, I could see some of these schools combining with the eastern part of C-USA. Maybe even picking up a Western Kentucky and Butler.

That would make for an interesting shake-up for some other conferences.

Comment

dont wanit ta happen. Until something becomes certainly better...do nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X