No announcement yet.

Coy drops Basketball for Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 pages - What a waste of time. JC made a choice to pay basketball on a full ride basketball scholarship plus also play baseball (which does not offer full ride scholarships). None of us know all of the NCAA scholarship particulars but many seem to want to run down the coaching staffs of both sports plus the AD on JC's decision. JC made the choice to change sports and I think we all want to see him have a great season or seasons here at WSU playing baseball BUT I don't think he should or would be able to do that on the full ride basketball schlorship. There is only one person causing this so called problem and it's JC. I can understand changing his mind since it appears baseball is his best opportunity to make money in the future. Good luck JC we will pull for your success.

Comment

• I think we all agree he changed his mind and has to live with that decision. The question seems to be what was the agreement for how his time would be split? A family member has stated he was told he could play fall baseball and now that is an issue. If that's true, in my mind that is different than him just deciding he didn't want to play both. It's not really fair to say this is Coy's fault. IF that's the case...

Comment

• I think there are some unanswered questions about how all this went down. Here are mine:

1) Why didn't Johnny call Coach Marshall all summer?

2) How did Baseball America know he was going to quit basketball and focus on baseball?

3) Why has Coach Marshall taken such a hard line on how Johnny has handled this?

To me it is obvious, Johnny decided over the summer that he was going to focus on baseball, but he didn't have the heart to tell Coach Marshall or he wanted the scholarship (hopefully for the entire year, if he could pull this off).

The guys at BA just don't make these things up. Someone tipped them off.

I don't blame Coach Marshall for being upset, he was left out of the loop on this decesion. Also, he and his staff had a lot of time and effort (forget the money) in getting Johnny here.

But, what is done is done. I hope for Johnny's sake that he will have alot of success at baseball. He doesn't seem to be a bad kid. He just handled this thing all wrong.

Comment

• If any of you wish to dig a bit deeper on the legality of all these issues, the Wichita State library actually has probably 15 years worth of official NCAA Athletics manuals. Maybe somebody could check one out and learn something.
          Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
          Students > Alumni
          If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
          The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

• I went through the posts. Did anyone call Basball America? Why did'nt Marshall call JC insted of the assit. calling JC.during the summer. Alot of things don't make since. JC was begged to come to WSU, was promised no problems would ever occur playing two sports. Why all the problems with Marshall. He tried to get JC to quit by abuse, having him on the court when he did'nt pass a physical. And than belittled and thrown out of practice for passing out. Than changing his 3 man drill practice time to conflict with baseball. Jc chose baseball. Where was the AD. One post said when basketball started in Nov. no more baseball. Marshall went back on his word. There would never be any problems. I hear now after the damage the AD is involved. Can he right a wrong. They even took his books instead of billing him for them like anyone would. This was'nt planned out very well. Why not release JC after the semester if he did'nt quit baseball. Marshall forced JC to choose. I'm like alot of others delete this thing, maybe the AD can right it. JC would have never quit basketball on good terms. Good luck to JC , he is still a shocker!!!

Comment

• How come you know so much Skinner. Were you in any of the meetings. All you are going on is his brother and he is so much biased.

Comment

• Spinner Wrote:

I went through the posts. Did anyone call Basball America? Why did'nt Marshall call JC insted of the assit. calling JC.during the summer. Alot of things don't make since. JC was begged to come to WSU, was promised no problems would ever occur playing two sports. Why all the problems with Marshall. He tried to get JC to quit by abuse, having him on the court when he did'nt pass a physical. And than belittled and thrown out of practice for passing out. Than changing his 3 man drill practice time to conflict with baseball. Jc chose baseball. Where was the AD. One post said when basketball started in Nov. no more baseball. Marshall went back on his word. There would never be any problems. I hear now after the damage the AD is involved. Can he right a wrong. They even took his books instead of billing him for them like anyone would. This was'nt planned out very well. Why not release JC after the semester if he did'nt quit baseball. Marshall forced JC to choose. I'm like alot of others delete this thing, maybe the AD can right it. JC would have never quit basketball on good terms. Good luck to JC , he is still a shocker!!!

We heard rom JC's brother now who is Spinner. A cousin? Johnny himself.
                Could it really be that Johnny believed all he needed to do was show up for basketball when the games started in November to earn his basketball scholarship?

You are not doing JC any favors by posting this drivel.

Comment

• 15.5.9.7.1 Requirement to Qualify as Multiple-Sport Athlete.
                  To be considered a multiple-sport athlete under this section, an individual must meet all of the following requirements:
                  (a) The individual shall report and participate fully in regularly organized practice with each squad;
                  (b) The individual shall participate where qualified in actual competition in each sport;
                  (c) The individual shall be a member of each squad for the entire playing and practice season; and
                  (d) If a recruited student-athlete, the individual shall have been earnestly recruited to participate in the sport in which financial aid is counted (the institution recruiting the student-athlete shall have a reasonable basis to believe that the student-athlete is capable of participating in the institution’s varsity intercollegiate program in that sport, including documentation of a record of previous participation
                  in organized competition in the sport that supports the student-athlete’s potential to participate in that sport in varsity intercollegiate competition.)
                  15.5.9.2 Basketball. A counter who practices or competes in basketball and one or more other sports (other than football) shall be counted in basketball.
                  A couple of quotes from the NCAA 2008-2009 handbook. Take out of them what you will. [/quote]

Comment

• Its looks like JC was a mutiple-sport athlete. No more. How funny. Yes I am close to the situation. I don't have to speculate. For the record JC brother is a well respected teacher coach with a masters in education. Coaching under the now retired great hall of fame coach from Iowa Jim Heinrick at NKC. Kurt's dad. JC tried to do something special, it did'nt work out. I think people on here knows he could have taken the easy way and just took a baseball scholl. Lets all learn from this, and make WSU the best college it can be. As far as i know JC has never read a message board. Thank God!

Comment

• Wellcome to Shock Net Spinner, Glad to have you on board. I still don't agree with you about JC. He had made up his mind about not playing basketball before he ever came back. That is how that baseball magazine knew that he was not paying B-ball.

Comment

Working...
                      X