No announcement yet.

Coy drops Basketball for Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Following along with what "Sub" is saying, if Marshall had allowed Coy to retain his basketball scholarship and books after he in effect gave it all up, the basketball program would have wound up in the NCAA toilet.

If you think otherwise, do some research on some of the sanctions that have been handed down in similar situations. WSU could not remotely risk the possibility the "death penalty," because of one scholarship and some books, no matter how deserving the player is.

The sad truth is that Coy made his decision and he has to live with the consequences. In the long run, he will do well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Txlen
      Following along with what "Sub" is saying, if Marshall had allowed Coy to retain his basketball scholarship and books after he in effect gave it all up, the basketball program would have wound up in the NCAA toilet.

If you think otherwise, do some research on some of the sanctions that have been handed down in similar situations. WSU could not remotely risk the possibility the "death penalty," because of one scholarship and some books, no matter how deserving the player is.

The sad truth is that Coy made his decision and he has to live with the consequences. In the long run, he will do well.
      Can you share this research?

Kids quit sports all the time; this is hardly precedent setting. I'm not aware of kids that quit being required to retroactively pay that semester's tuition. I'm also not aware of any NCAA sanctions because the school did not require a kid to do so.

If there are some NCAA rulings (and I'm not saying there aren't, I've just never heard of them) can you provide a link?

Comment

• If you're Marshall and a player you just gave 1 of your 13 scholarships to quits two weeks into the school year to play for the team he's walking on to, in an economy where donations are down, would you freely offer to continue that scholarship?

If Johnny is going $20k into debt, then one semester's scholarship must be worth $10k to SASO for basketball. Maybe KU/UNC/Texas can throw that type of money around, but not WSU.

I'm sure Coy being on the baseball roster is what complicates the scholarship situation. A school could pull a lot of shenanigans like this to get an "extra" player.

Comment

• Agreed, we are speculating that it is a violation. Personally, I'd be surprised. This whole affair was handled about as poorly as it could have been. As far as fall practice is concerned, I would imagine that all of this was discussed and agreed upon last spring. It MUST have been. Guessing somebody..................changed his mind. Skipping manditory practice for voluntary workouts is simply never gonna be accepted.

Comment

• With a little bit more speculation, I believe the length of this thread can catch up to the length of the EO thread.
            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio
              With a little bit more speculation, I believe the length of this thread can catch up to the length of the EO thread.
              just helping you out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
                Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio
                With a little bit more speculation, I believe the length of this thread can catch up to the length of the EO thread.
                just helping you out.
                :good:
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• I thought this was the EO thread. :bball_spin:

Comment

• Originally posted by claycpa
                    I thought this was the EO thread. :bball_spin:
                    can EO hit a 12/6 curve??

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone
                      Originally posted by claycpa
                      I thought this was the EO thread. :bball_spin:
                      can EO hit a 12/6 curve??
                      Of course, dont you know, he can do it all.
                      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Maybe the Royals can take a flyer on him then.

I mean he can hang out with Manute. Chill at the power and white.

Hang out with Sku and Tactic YYEEEEAAAAHHH BBBUUUDDDDYYYYY

sorry this is what happens when you take one of those 5 hour energy things and start exercising. Only your legs hurt to bad to continue and then you drink a dr pepper right after.

AIR AIR AIRHOOOORRRNNN!!

Comment

• Ya know, now that I think about it, I blame EO for this whole JC mess. If EO were on campus there would be no controversy. EO would have sat down with HCGM, HCGS, ADES, JC, and let them know how to work this whole thing out. If anyone was in disagreement, then EO would strike them down with lighting bolts from his arse.

Comment

• What a mess, just maybe the AD is on vacation. Gene tried to help was barred, Coy's dad was never called back, JC was hung out to dry. Very bad for recruting.

Comment

• Originally posted by spinner
                              JC was hung out to dry. Very bad for recruting.
                              BS!
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU
                                Originally posted by spinner
                                JC was hung out to dry. Very bad for recruting.
                                BS!
                                Girlfriend I wonder?

Comment

Working...
                                X