No announcement yet.

Bradley message board reports ISU's Sampay arrested for DUI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are no excuses for drinking and getting behind the wheel of a car - even if your intention is to "sleep it off." Not that its anyone's business, I've never had a beer in my life, and I don't feel like I've missed a thing. 8)

There are a few high schools in Wichita that are notorious for underage drinking, or so they were when I was in school, and, sadly, I had to try and "cover" for classmates my junior and senior years who were out drinking before school.

Comment

Understand that these statistics, i.e. alcohol related acidents. are very skewed. If you're the guy who had one beer after golf while settling up on your bets and gets rear-ended while sitting at a stop sign waiting for traffic to clear then this is an alcohol-related accident! These figures are, indeed, skewed and misleading. By the way this post is not intended to encourage or justify drinking and driving, but merely to point out the misuse of and inaccuracy of these statistics.

Comment

Never put it past someone to rationalize their actions

Comment

I've never really understood the fact that someone can get a DUI in a non-running vehicle just because their key is in the ignition.

That kind of preemptive enforcement of law is akin to arresting someone for murder just because they're standing outside someone's house with a knife their hand.
          The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
            36% of all traffic deaths in Kansas were related to Drunk Driving
            29% of them had BAC >0.08%

Of the children 0-14 years old who were killed in alcohol-related crashes during 2003, 47 percent (209) were passengers in vehicles with drivers who had been drinking.

In 1982 - 60% of traffic fatalities were related to alcohol
            In 2005, this number has dropped to 39% - it's still 39% too high.
            Way to speak with the facts SB :good:
            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker
              There are no excuses for drinking and getting behind the wheel of a car - even if your intention is to "sleep it off." Not that its anyone's business, I've never had a beer in my life, and I don't feel like I've missed a thing. 8)

There are a few high schools in Wichita that are notorious for underage drinking, or so they were when I was in school, and, sadly, I had to try and "cover" for classmates my junior and senior years who were out drinking before school.
              I've never had a beer in my life, and I don't feel like I've missed a thing.
              How would you know what you've missed? There are some very fine micro-brews out there!! Like the great German philosopher Arnold Schwarzenegger once said, "milk is for babies, when you grow up you have to drink beer"! ;-)

T

...8)

Comment

Facts...

Comment

Presumption

In reading the article and the posts on this board, everyone seems to be assuming that this kid either drove to the parking lot drunk, turned off the ignition and passed out OR was drunk, got into the car, inserted the key and then passed out before starting the car. Although unlikely, it is possible that he drove to the parking lot completely sober, parked the car, turned off the ingnition and proceded to drink and then Pass out or simply go to sleep. In this scenario, it may qualify technically as DUI, but the car would never have been moved whie he was intoxicated.
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Not to turn this into a "to drink, or not to drink" discussion, I've sipped enough beer, wine, champagne, etc. to know I'm not missing a thing.

There are many reasons some choose not to drink - religious, personal struggles, past issues, etc. - but there are some who just dislike the taste of alcohol. For myself, I have religious reasons not to drink beyond moderation. Additionally, I will only occassionally have a wine-cooler because that is the only thing I've tried that has enough flavor to minimize the taste of alcohol, which I don't like.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                      I don't think anyone should get too excited, since 2 beers can put you over the limit, and who hasn't done that, and then drove???

Anyway, a good attorney can usually get someone treated lightly on a 1st offense for DUI. These kids are teenagers!!! Do you remember your teenage drinking years?
                      I think the fact that you can have a beer or two during dinner and be near or slightly over the legal limit is completely foolish and is nothing more than a scam to continue to fund this out of control industry (lawyers). Probably 98% of all lawyers, politicians, and police officers (and everyone else) have driven after dinner with the ingestion of a glass or two of alcohol. I do believe that the statutes make a separation between driving while under the influence and driving while intoxicated (DUI - DWI). It's those driving while intoxicated that should have the hammer dropped down on them, not those who have a couple beers during dinner. You could make a case that millions of seniors as well as prescription drug users are much more impaired visually and reflexively than the typical adult who has a drink or two during dinner.

I have never had a DUI but I'm sure I as well as tens of thousands of Wichitans just roll the dice every time they go out to a restaurant and enjoy a glass or two of wine with a meal. *sigh*

I wonder how much a 220lb man can drink before he is over the legal limit? Is there a website with a good rule of thumb? :(

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                        I wonder how much a 220lb man can drink before he is over the legal limit? Is there a website with a good rule of thumb? :(

T

...8)
                        I don't know if there is a website or not, but I know that the state, and other prevention offices shy away from this line of thinking (i.e. that such and such weight results in BAC of ...) because alcohol affects everyone differently due to the tolerance that he or she has built up.

Comment

Well, I do know (not from personal experience) that a DUI will run in the neighborhood of $1,800-2,200 dollars by the time you get done with the courts and your attorney fees..... Something to ponder next time your tipping another one.

2 draft beers is borderline.
                          3 draft beers is over the .08 limit.

Comment

Well, I do know (not from personal experience) that a DUI will run in the neighborhood of $1,800-2,200 dollars by the time you get done with the courts and your attorney fees..... Something to ponder next time your tipping another one.

Well River City Brewery's beer is between 5-6% (quite a bit stronger than a domestic draw) and you can definitely "feel" two tall glasses of it but I always have a meal when I go there as well. I will sometimes share a pitcher which comes out to about 2.5 glasses each. Then we will sometimes walk around Old Town for a while. This is consumed over a 1.5 hour period. Should I be locked up and have the key thrown away if I get in my car to go home? :) :( :whistle: :shock:

T

...8)

Comment

I just returned from Austin City Limits Music Fest and there was a whole lot of that going on & then some. I would like to add that in the sea of burnt orange and maroon I did happen to see a Shocker hat in one of the many the amazingly long food lines. Way to represent!

Go Shocks!!!!
                              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock

I just returned from Austin City Limits Music Fest and there was a whole lot of that going on & then some. I would like to add that in the sea of burnt orange and maroon I did happen to see a Shocker hat in one of the many the amazingly long food lines. Way to represent!

Go Shocks!!!!
                                Would that be the maroon of Mississippi State or the Fightin' Texas Aggies?

Comment

Working...
                                X