Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
    Originally posted by rZ
    Isnt Jank a ku guy??? Where did he learn how to punish players?
    Well there has been a suggestion that he already covered up a DUI by Levi Dyer, until word of it got out recently. If there is truth to this, it sounds like he is acting just as you would expect a KU guy to act. Look the other way and cover up until you get caught, then suspend a guy to pretend like you are tough on this stuff.

If he really acts in the KU model, the word indefinite in "indefinite suspension" will be interchangeable with "exhibition games".

I know of another "KU guy" that was a pretty upstanding coach and to my knowledge didn't cover up anything (Young) but dealt with it head on, so please don't make these all encompassing statements. Was MT perfect -- No. But there are few of us that are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ixiah
      Originally posted by lemuel777
      Is it really a DUI if he was sleeping in the car with the car off?
      That would depend largely on the interpretation of the Illinois legal code, although it does mitigate the irresponsibility of his actions considerably (although he still was underaged and got into a vehicle and put the keys in the ignition).
      A law like that might allow the charge but I just can't see any jury convicting him if that was the circumstances. Most people would associate driving with motion of the vehicle. Are you 'driving' when you start the car up on a cold day for the wife? Just don't by it.
      The Illinois legal code includes being "in actual physical control of any vehicle" in its Drunk Driving section. Under this wording, being at the wheel with keys in the ignition puts Sampay in control of the vehicle. Sure it is picky and there is a decent shot he won't get convicted under those circumstances, but the wording of state law may allow for a conviction.
      I believe the same goes for Kansas. Put the keys in, you're done for. Just sitting in it isn't the same. But keys in the ignition, to me, shows intent to drive, which is illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
        I believe the same goes for Kansas. Put the keys in, you're done for. Just sitting in it isn't the same. But keys in the ignition, to me, shows intent to drive, which is illegal.
        Yep - a good friend of mine had the same exact scenario happen to him. Sleeping in the driver's seat, key's in the ignition, car turned off. DUI conviction.

Comment

And with all the hype being pushed across the country to cut down on DUI's, he's probably toast.

Comment

To Txshox and rrshox-----Under Kansas law there must be an overt attempt to operate the vehicle to sustain a DUI conviction. See the case of State of Kansas v. Fish

Comment

to the wpd just being within 50 feet of a vehicle means intent to drive.

/jumps off soapbox ends rant.

Comment

I don't think anyone should get too excited, since 2 beers can put you over the limit, and who hasn't done that, and then drove???

Anyway, a good attorney can usually get someone treated lightly on a 1st offense for DUI. These kids are teenagers!!! Do you remember your teenage drinking years?

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                  I don't think anyone should get too excited, since 2 beers can put you over the limit, and who hasn't done that, and then drove???

Anyway, a good attorney can usually get someone treated lightly on a 1st offense for DUI. These kids are teenagers!!! Do you remember your teenage drinking years?
                  Exactly, it's a DUI. Not a good thing, but also not beating your girlfriend senseless, getting arrested and going back to beat her again after getting out of jail. I wouldn't hold my breath for any jail pick up games, since he probably won't spend a night in jail.
                  Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9

I can honestly say I haven't. And I never had teenage drinking years. I understand the stances of the different view points in this stuff, but I have very little sympathy for anyone who puts themselves in that situation. It looks like Sampay and others were lucky that he passed out before turning the key and taking off. If the law says he did enough to get a DUI then I hope he's convicted of such. This is just one area I feel pretty strongly about. I've heard way too many stories of drunk drivers and the damage they cause. Just because people do it and don't get caught or kill anybody doesn't make it acceptable.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I'm with Sub. He stated it well.

I also did not have any teenage drinking years and have never been intoxicated. A very good friend of mine's sister was killed by a drunk driver back in the 80s. To this day, the killer still doesn't think it was his fault, because he was drunk (he drove up an off-ramp). I have no tolerance or sympathy for anyone who is anywhere near the legal limit and gets behind a wheel. I and my family are out there on the same roads.

Comment

Royal and Sub, you two are definitely the unfortunate minority. Most people have taken the keys a time or two that they shouldn't. As you get wiser it happens less to where it doesn't happen at all. You have to be able to process all the potential consequences, not just be worried about a DUI, which is where most college kids thought stops. Most college kids I know have played the fool drunk a time or two. Maybe they got in a fight, drove drunk, said something (or multiple things) they regretted, smoked the reefer, etc. When it happens with an athlete I think we're too quick sometimes to assume they're a bad apple rather than a typical dumbass kid doing what dumbass kids do. Most of them grow out of it, some don't.

Comment

BOBB, all due respect, but no amount of downplay (remarks of stupid, foolish kids or most people have done it) is going to soften my stance that anyone who gets behind the wheel over the legal limit should not receive any mercy from the legal system. If someone, regardless of age, is going to drink, they automatically accept full responsibility for their subsequent actions.

There are situations where showing mercy can be better than taking a hard line. But I don't count DUI as one of those situations.

And for what it's worth, I don't count being in this minority, unfortunate. Rather, I'd say it's just the opposite! :yes:

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                            And for what it's worth, I don't count being in this minority, unfortunate. Rather, I'd say it's just the opposite! :yes:
                            I think you misunderstood me. My point was that it is unfortunate that you are in the minority when it comes to this situation, ie - it would be fortunate if there were a majority of people who never got behind the wheel after a few.

As far as our takes on the relative seriousness of the crime, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Comment

36% of all traffic deaths in Kansas were related to Drunk Driving
                              29% of them had BAC >0.08%

Of the children 0-14 years old who were killed in alcohol-related crashes during 2003, 47 percent (209) were passengers in vehicles with drivers who had been drinking.

In 1982 - 60% of traffic fatalities were related to alcohol
                              In 2005, this number has dropped to 39% - it's still 39% too high.

Comment

I understand why/how it happens but it doesn't make it anymore right or acceptable.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X