Georgetown vs. Shockers game thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shockar25
    Another side note... in the pregame did anyone else notice that very little was mentioned about the Shockers at all? Everything they talked about--I mean EVERYTHING was about GU. I know they're ranked, but c'mon guys.... In fact, they barely showed any video of our team warming up (B. Steven was shown briefly but that's about it) and they definately didn't talk about our previous games, our coach, etc. The first mentions were really just when the game started.

Talk about no respect! Hopefully this decent showing will be the start of building that respect back for us. I hate to say it, but that freefall 2 seasons ago really killed our reputation, or maybe I'm just imagining this all.

The good news is, things went better today than we thought, and I think the majority of the Shocker Nation can live with that.
    Yeah I noticed that.. if I wouldn't have known any better, I would have assumed just by watching the ESPN cast that this Georgetown team could beat all of Wooden's UCLA teams.

Comment

• The more of these National televised games we can muster up, the better I like it. This can and will only help us in some recruiting wars. Here is some bright spots today. We outrebounded a tough and ranked team 36-27. I was hoping that Ramon would outrebound Monroe. RC did out rebound him 10-4. Monroe did block 3 shots though and altered some others it seemed. Today, the Shocks were just really off from the field and THAT really hurt. Another bright spot today was the defense of Kyles and Chamberlain. AE is coming around slowly but surely on both sides of the court.
      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• I think we must gave a good showing in the rest of the tourney or the powers to be will think todays game was a fluke!
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Good effort. We could've still played better.

I'm definitely happy we pretty much kept this to single-digits the whole way.

I agree with the Hawkins' stuff. He continues to drive and keep on record pace for most charges in NCAA history. He needs to tone down and be a 'team' player.

I really think our offense lacked flow and we could have played better 'team' ball. Still though, I'm satisfied with our D and rebounding.

We really needa win tomorrow, or this 'close' loss will mean little to nothing. Tomorrow is our best chance for a 'W'.. Let's do it.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Hmm... this may just be me, but:

When we were down by 9 at the start of the game and 5 new players came into the game, did it remind anyone of our "rat pack" from a few (4 I believe) years ago? It was always Matt Braeuer, Sean Ogirri, and I THINK Couisnard (and maybe someone else). I always remember that whenever we started out bad, we would put them in and the game would instantly change, sort of like how it did today.

Comment

Another side note... in the pregame did anyone else notice that very little was mentioned about the Shockers at all? Everything they talked about--I mean EVERYTHING was about GU. I know they're ranked, but c'mon guys.... In fact, they barely showed any video of our team warming up (B. Steven was shown briefly but that's about it) and they definately didn't talk about our previous games, our coach, etc. The first mentions were really just when the game started.

Talk about no respect! Hopefully this decent showing will be the start of building that respect back for us. I hate to say it, but that freefall 2 seasons ago really killed our reputation, or maybe I'm just imagining this all.

The good news is, things went better today than we thought, and I think the majority of the Shocker Nation can live with that.
              During the actual game itself, which matters the most, the two guys gave us a TON of respect and props, especially Len Elmore, the color guy. They were talking about us more in the final 10 minutes than G-town by a lot.

No need to whine about not getting enough attention, especially when they were giving us props, and considering where our program is currently - off the radar..
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Oh, I realize WHY, I just don't like it. The pregame is supposed to spotlight both teams to get the viewer ready for the game--to preview what's about to happen and in theory should be equal, but of course it doesn't work that way.

I also agree that later in the game they did discuss WSU quite a bit and I'm not complaining about that, but rather the pregame.

Comment

• starting lineup next game should be....
                  toure -1
                  david -2
                  graham -3
                  :posterwsu: bad ass :posterwsu: -4
                  garrett -5

Comment

Oh, I realize WHY, I just don't like it. The pregame is supposed to spotlight both teams to get the viewer ready for the game--to preview what's about to happen and in theory should be equal, but of course it doesn't work that way.

I also agree that later in the game they did discuss WSU quite a bit and I'm not complaining about that, but rather the pregame.
                    They're the Top 20 team, we're pretty much a nobody right now. It's expected. If the roles were reversed, you wouldn't mind WSU getting all the attention.

We have to earn our attention back. Hopefully, by next year, it will be..
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• If you watched Sportscenter they talked about WSU, showed Kyles getting an and-1, and that we shot 27% and were in the game til the end. Got some props there.

Now we need to step up and win our side of the bracket (very capable of getting to Mich St), and what a win that would be!!

Comment

• WSU_zero wrote:
                        Yeah, they're going to have to play better against Siena. GU was off today, but Siena will be ready to play hard, execute and keep guys off the boards.

That was fun to watch, though. Paul, Rob, and I were all chatting online while watching the game. That was the first Shocker game in 5 years I've watched without jumping and down and yelling on every possession. I'm officially removed. LOL

Shockerfan, I wasn't trying to take anything away from them at all. I was well aware that I was watching a young team, and that young team showed a lot of heart and determination. I was just looking at it as when this team matures AS a team, they'll take performances like the one from GU today and not just come close to winning, but they'll be the ones being chased and not the other way around. Like us against Providence, Seton Hall, or Tennessee, for example. We had a more mature team, though. But that took 2 1/2 years to build. So, I still think that they showed how bright the future is for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by vancedave56
                          Originally posted by DUShock
                          Originally posted by pogo
                          DU, the last minute or so when we "doubled" our deficit was due to our inability to make shots from the field and GT's ability to make their freethrows. The timeout that was taken allowed Marshall to tell the team he wanted them to foul a particular player. After the timeout Marshall was able to see which GT player was on the court and signaled who to foul (#4) and Hannah did after having to chase him down. Marshall substituted two players each time for either offense or defense. So I don't know exactly why you felt the game/time was mismanaged? Go Shox!
                          It was still mismanagement. Again I am pleased but merely seeking to economize without being stingy.

Go Shocks!!!!
                          So, what would you have done then? Let's say there is one minute left and you are down 5 - The other team has the ball - in your effor to not mismanage you play great defense and you don't foul. They run the shot clock off and do not even get off a shot! Great defense!

You come down and immediately score. Now you are only down 3 with 20 seconds left. Way to go!

The other team runs the clock out since you do not mismanage by fouling someone. Game over you only lose by three.

You never gave your self a chance to win, but you kep the deficit down. A loss is a loss, I would think you would rather have a chance to win.

We go for a steal, but don't get it so we foul. We are "hoping" they miss and we can come down and score. If they hit there free throws and we don't score - yep, the deficit can grow, but at least we are "trying to win" and not keep the point spread down - that is only good if you're a gambler and have a bet on the points.
                          :goshocks:
                          Again, I am very pleased with the effort and outcome but simply put I would not have fouled.
                          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Len Elmore

ShockerFever, you mentioned that the ESPN announcers treated WSU well in the latter stages of the game with Georgetown. Didn't Len Elmore's brother, Bob, play at WSU years ago? Bob was a big 6-10, 250-260 lb center, if I recall correctly.

Comment

• Re: Len Elmore

Originally posted by xazshox
                              ShockerFever, you mentioned that the ESPN announcers treated WSU well in the latter stages of the game with Georgetown. Didn't Len Elmore's brother, Bob, play at WSU years ago? Bob was a big 6-10, 250-260 lb center, if I recall correctly.
                              You are correct. I think that helped a bit.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Yes indeed he played, and played very well as a Shocker.
                                In the fast lane

Comment

Working...
                                X