Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjl
    Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio

There are countries, which have much better educational systems than the U.S. Quite a few, actually.

There is a reason Dell moved technical support to India.
    You're kidding, right?

Dell moved customer support to India because they can pay around 40% of what they were paying domestically to have people essentially run down a checklist over the phone.

Like someone else said, k-12 is more advanced in other countries. College, however, is way different. If it wasn't, then why do we have so many foreign students in the US, or even more specifically, at WSU?

More money is pumped into US colleges than any other country, I would imagine.
    Yes, K-12 is what I had in mind in my previous post. Another important factor is attitude about the value of education and work ethic.

I agree that Dell had reduced cost in mind, when it moved TS to India. And I agree Dell TS is almost deplorable. It is the reason I have Isaso on a lifetime retainer for technical support. He is ably assisted by SB Shocker and occasionally by JJ Clamdip, now banned from this esteemed forum.

Comment

One major difference between many foreign schools and US schools is that kids are "weeded out" much earlier in other countries, therefore increasing the ability to effectively teach at a higher level. If we have "free" education for the masses until the age of 18, we will not be able to compete with the "elite" students from other countries. If you measure the to X% of US HS students against the top X% from foreign countries (including the ones that are no longer allowed to continue their education) we actually come out very comparable in most cases.

You can't expect our average test scores to be equilivant to other countries when we have a much higher percentage of our 14-18 year olds still in school. i.e., Japan has three cuts between ages 12 and 17. If you don't make the cut you go to trade school.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
      X