Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anybody know if the Shocks are scrimmaging Thursday, where and what time?
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

According to the new roster, Derek Brown is no longer a Shocker.

Comment

no srimmage

brett called and said that nothing happened tonight . he and ellis went to work out at the gym . i think hatch went to

Comment

Gee whiz, 6'7" is the tallest for a post man??? That, certainly will limit the team, especially post season. Has everyone forgot all the tall guys our other MVC teams have recruited?

We had Kyle, who was darn good, and Thomasson last year, and they became more and more ineffective in the post as the season progressed.
          You have got to have the height in the post to be consistent in competiton.

Durley has had ample time to 'get in shape'. He's 19, for pete's sake. I was never 'out of shape' when I was that age. You can either 'cut it' or 'not'.
          If he can not get in shape, perhaps he needs to go into the Army, they can get him in shape.

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle
            Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
            WSU Roster - No Hart (yet?) http://www.goshockers.com/SportSelec...51&SPSID=61183

15 Michael, Bret G 6-0 Unk Wichita, KS
            We signed Bret Michael!?! I didn't know that guy could ball...
            Walk-On??
            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I have to admit I am a little disappointed with Hart not being able to come here. He is a Liberian/Nigerian, and they usually do well in academics.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
                I have to admit I am a little disappointed with Hart not being able to come here. He is a Liberian/Nigerian, and they usually do well in academics.
                right right.........and asians are good at math........holy "putting people in a box" batman. LMAO, actually I hear what you are saying but it still made me laugh a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town
                  right right.........and asians are good at math........holy "putting people in a box" batman. LMAO, actually I hear what you are saying but it still made me laugh a little.
                  Actually, it is pretty easy to make the case for the "box."

There are countries, which have much better educational systems than the U.S. Quite a few, actually.

There is a reason Dell moved technical support to India.

Read the recent article on Matt Clark and his comments about education in his Peace Corp country.

Sorry I drove off into the ditch.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio

There are countries, which have much better educational systems than the U.S. Quite a few, actually.

Read the recent article on Matt Clark and his comments about education in his Peace Corp country.

At the K-12 level, I agree with your criticism. At the university level, I do not. You should trust me on this one; I could give you examples but this would reveal my identity. There are outstanding universities around the world. There are bad universities in the US. Overall, in terms of faculty, labs, access by students, "research" freedom & honesty, etc., the system of public and private universities in the US is the best in the world. Stanford has weaknesses. WSU has weaknesses. KU has weaknesses. MIT has weaknesses. Internal politics harms every university - but the harm is usually fairly minor in public universities. "Every" university president has skeletons in the closet. Probably the same is true for every Dean and VP. However the US public systems usually work well. What about private universities? Look at Princeton, Stanford, Univ. of Chicago, etc.; they are doing fine. Look carefully at Sterling College; there might be some problems there. How do foreign countries compare? I heard very recently about an institution in Germany where engineering has no labs and instruction is a joke. Australia? India? All have top universities (e.g. IIT, ANU), greatly limit admission of students and have budget problems. (Australia has been reducing spending on universities for 30 years.) England? Getting rid of good departments at most universities. Japan? You are likely to get the results you request (independent of their veracity) if you pay enough money.
                    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316

At the K-12 level, I agree with your criticism. At the university level, I do not. You should trust me on this one; I could give you examples but this would reveal my identity. There are outstanding universities around the world. There are bad universities in the US. Overall, in terms of faculty, labs, access by students, "research" freedom & honesty, etc., the system of public and private universities in the US is the best in the world. Stanford has weaknesses. WSU has weaknesses. KU has weaknesses. MIT has weaknesses. Internal politics harms every university - but the harm is usually fairly minor in public universities. "Every" university president has skeletons in the closet. Probably the same is true for every Dean and VP. However the US public systems usually work well. What about private universities? Look at Princeton, Stanford, Univ. of Chicago, etc.; they are doing fine. Look carefully at Sterling College; there might be some problems there. How do foreign countries compare? I heard very recently about an institution in Germany where engineering has no labs and instruction is a joke. Australia? India? All have top universities (e.g. IIT, ANU), greatly limit admission of students and have budget problems. (Australia has been reducing spending on universities for 30 years.) England? Getting rid of good departments at most universities. Japan? You are likely to get the results you request (independent of their veracity) if you pay enough money.

I have traveled extensively around the world. The US superiority in most areas(not just education) is greatly exaggerated! This is not to say we are not a fine country but other countries have much to offer also. 8)
                      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

"but other countries have much to off also."
                        Do you mean "but other countries have much to offer also"?

I've been to universities in some of those other countries: Canada, Germany, Italy, England, Scotland, Australia, etc. They have some very good universities. Oxford is very good. U. Edinburgh is very good. France, heck Paris alone, has some top universities.

In Germany (& Australia, Japan, etc.), K-12 students get tested and categorized; late bloomers are not wanted. In Germany, the universities and the Max Planck Society fight over money (with the Max Planck Institutes winning).

I enjoy visiting other countries. They have a great deal to offer. Their good university students should probably start as juniors at WSU since their K-12 education can be much better.

Look into the faculty in other countries. Look at how Spain hires professors. Look at "university politics" and the "junior professor" positions in Germany. Look at how the UK is downsizing. Look at the faculty salaries in France. Look at hiring in Italy.

Comment

I got to deal with Dell technical help both when it was in the US and when it went to India. In both cases the way stuff was handled was the same. It really didn't matter what your technical expertise was they simply read the steps off of a piece of paper and troubleshot the system based on a pre-set sheet made for them. Minor education necessary for that. Dell customer support is horrible now.

Comment

dregn: WSU has a lot of very nice, very smart people from India (& lots of other countries) who want to learn AE, ME, IE, EE, Chem., Math, etc. I have a number of friends from India. I understand that you are not trying to be critical of people from India; I have also had trouble dealing with phone support from foreign countries.

Comment

Whoops, wasn't was supposed to be was. Meant to say that the quality of customer support from Dell didn't change when the tech support moved. The support from Dell has been horrible ever since they've hired people to simply read a trouble shooting tree written by a couple of computer people rather then hiring more computer people. I guess the statement I was trying to make was that it wasn't moved to India for education reasons, it was moved for money reasons.

Comment

You're kidding, right?

Dell moved customer support to India because they can pay around 40% of what they were paying domestically to have people essentially run down a checklist over the phone.

Like someone else said, k-12 is more advanced in other countries. College, however, is way different. If it wasn't, then why do we have so many foreign students in the US, or even more specifically, at WSU?

More money is pumped into US colleges than any other country, I would imagine.
                                The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Working...
                                X