Baylor vs. Wichita St.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baylor vs. Wichita St.

Howdy, I was wondering if you could give my a little synopsis of your team this year. Also, what do you expect in your game against Baylor?

Here is a little info about BU:

Probable Starting Line-Up:
    PG Tweety Carter- Soph. Is the nations highest scorer in HS ever(trick is he played 5 years. started as an 8th Grader). He averaged 8.7 ppg and 1.9 apg last year starting in the last half of the season. Scored 30+ @ Syracuse, but has problems with his consistency.

SG Curtis Jerrells-Junior. One of our best players(if not our best). He should be All-Big XII this year. He averaged 15.0 ppg and 3.8 apg last year.

SG Aaron Bruce-Senior. Tested out the NBA draft waters this summer but decided to come back for his senior (he wouldn't have been drafted anyways). Has been our leader on the court for the past 3 years, but he has been injury plagued as he's been playing to much (starts on the Australian National Team. He actually got a steal on Lebron last year :)) Last year he missed some games due to an ankle injury but had decent stats, 11.3 ppg and 3.4 apg.

PF Kevin Rogers-Junior. Our main inside presence. He was the most improved player in the Big XII last year. This guy can dunk the crap out of the ball, and he has a very sweet left handed hook shot. He could get a few more rebounds though. 12.8 ppg and 7.6 rpg.

C Mammadou Diene-Junior. Mammadou had a rough year last year with some injuries. He played very well in the conference tournament though. He is mainly a defensive threat, but has a decent mid range shot (although its ugly). 4.8 ppg, 4.7 rpg, and 1.8 bpg.

Key Reserves:

SG Henry Dugat-Junior. Henry is our most valuable reserve. He plays as much as a starter. 11.7 ppg and 2.2 apg. Has a great three point shot and can dunk pretty well.

SG LaceDarrius Dunn-Freshman. Our best recruit for the 2007 season. He was the #1 player out of Louisiana a year ago. Rivals 4-Star and Scout 5-Star. supposeldy he is deadly from anywhere on our side of the court. Gives us a great 5 man guard rotation.

SF Penny Thiam-Freshman.Had a bad injury last year and was able to get a medical redshirt. He use to be a point guard but he grew 9 inches in the past 4 years and is now a 6'9" PF who feels comfortable to play out on the wing. Was a Rivals 4-Star in 2006.

C Josh Lomers-Soph. Our 2nd 7 foot center. He is big and will rough you up all game and has a good shot at 69 pct. last year. He has bad asthma and bad knees which slow him down. 4.0 ppg and 2.6 rpg

SF Fred Ellis-Freshman. Was a 3-Star recruit in 2007 from Sacremento, California. Who is very fast and athletic. He will come in and be a key player next season.

Our team has been very guard oriented the past few years and that will be no different this year.

Welcome, im really looking foward to our matchup and the tourney
    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Probable WSU starters (In my view)

PG - Matt Braeuer (SR) Fiesty little gaurd that can shoot, but doesn't look to. Rumor is Coach Marshall wants to see him shoot more which would be better for the team I think. Although, having a pass first PG isn't a bad thing. Great on the court leader.

SG - PJ Couisnard (SR) By far our best all around player since he got here. He's a great athlete. Good outside shooter rumored to be getting better. He's mainly a slasher who knows how to finish around the basket and is also one of the best defenders in the Valley.

SF - Mantas Griskanes (JR) He was a JUCO All American. Before a knee injury was said to be a very high major type of talent. Most "experts" I've seen say WSU got a steal in him as he's still quite the athlete, and while not as explosive as he was, still very dangerous. Adds some good size on the wing.

PF - Ramon Clemente (JR) Another JUCO All American that brings a toughness to the front court that we were lacking last season. Expect him to be more of a defensive pressence as well as rebounding.

C - ??? Phil Thomasson (SR) Our only real returning post man. Good athlete but a little mental. Has the potential to be a very solid player for us. Foul prone though.

OFF THE BENCH
      CG - Gal Mekel (SO) Some think he may start. He's one of Israels top players and has very good court vision and ball handling skills. Knows how to get inside and has a decent outside shot.

PF/C - Ejike Hart (JR) Another JUCO guy that should add some toughness inside and help our rebounding. Defensive pressence.

PF - JT Durley (FR) Redshirted last year due to injury. A big physical presence inside with nice touch and range. Has the potential to be a starter but time will tell.

CG - Wendell Preadom (JR) Good athlete and strong. Mostly a defensive guy but can get to the basket and may do that more with the new coach.

_________

SG - Graham Hatch (FR) He's a wild card. He's a tall shooter who is said to have a great work ethic and can play some D. He's been on his Mormon Mission the past two years so none of us know much of what to expect. And I don't expect a lot this year.

I feel like I'm missing someone but I don't know. I'm pretty tired and not thinking straight. But WSU is a hard team to figure out right now. We have a lot of good talent, but with a new coaching staff and some new faces on a team that under achieved last season it's hard to say how good we'll be or when it'll come together. Baylor should be a good early season test as they've been slowly getting better.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Honestly we won't know much about our team until after we play Baylor. This is gonna be completely different than what we're used to. But the player breakdowns by Sub are good.

Comment

Sub pretty much nailed the players.

Against a 3-guard set, Mekel, Braeuer and Couisnard will likely see a lot of minutes together on the court. Braeuer and Cooz are unusually quick down the court and Marshall says he like to play a transition game.

Some WSU fans don't like speculation because we've never seen several players who will be key contributors and we've never seen a Marshall-coached game. Marshall's JC recruits include 2 glass-eaters.

I have to think the intention of Marshall's game plan will be 2 guys going to the boards for defensive rebounds, 2 guards breaking for transition, the 3 going to a spot for a potential outlet pass and continuing down the court for a secondary break threat.

On D, Cooz will get the major offensive threat that's around 6'6' or shorter. Braeuer is tenacious, but at 5'11", taller guards have had success shooting over him.

Thomasson was a beast early last year when the Shox made thier run to a #8 national ranking. He had great games against LSU (Big Baby) and Syracuse. Not long after that he either lost confidence or WSU's lack of any front-court depth wore him down.

There won't be any meaningful scouting reports or films of WSU prior to the Baylor game. Fans can speculate based on perception, but we're pretty clueless about the look and feel of WSU's team next year.

Check back in January or February. That's about the first we're going to be able to get a feel for how the team works.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

That's what I'm talking about...nothing like starting the hype 4 months in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by lawmaker
              That's what I'm talking about...nothing like starting the hype 4 months in advance.
              Of course the "hype" was started by a Baylor fan.... We know who this game means more to. I mean you're playing an out of conference game against a team from a higher RPI rated conference than your own. I can understand why you want to get pumped early. Kinda like when WSU played Illinios a couple years ago.

Comment

Beautiful Moose...beautiful. :bball_spin:
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

The Shox will lose this game. However, I see a 180 from last year where we started out fast and finished like last. The Shox will get off to a slow start but show substantial improvement by year's end.

Comment

I agree, Baylor is getting us at the perfect time....come March they'll be able to say, "How come WSU got in the tourney and not us after we beat them!???"

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                      The Shox will lose this game. However, I see a 180 from last year where we started out fast and finished like last. The Shox will get off to a slow start but show substantial improvement by year's end.
                      I dont think we should concede any game, our team is a unknown at this time. :posterwsu: 8)
                      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I dont want to hear that. We can beat baylor early.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11
                          I dont think we should concede any game, our team is a unknown at this time. :posterwsu: 8)
                          New coach, new players, new scheme. Baylor played pretty well last year they'll only be better. However, we are transitioning to a new era of b-ball, it'll take time to adjust - ergo - we will lose.

Comment

New coach, new players, new scheme. Baylor played pretty well last year they'll only be better. However, we are transitioning to a new era of b-ball, it'll take time to adjust - ergo - we will lose.
                            I doubt your are a psychic - ergo - you don't know if we will lose...ESPECIALLY in August.
                            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan
                              I doubt your are a psychic - ergo - you don't know if we will lose...ESPECIALLY in August.
                              It's not your fault, you do not recognize my infinite powers of foresight. I implore you, do not make me come back and say, "I told you so", when the time comes.

Comment

Working...
                              X