• Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the bottom to the top and back to the bottom.....:whistle:
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

:yes: :yes: :yes: (Looking Down) :yes: :yes: :yes:

Actually, based on my observations above, it appears we could be worse. We could be Evansville.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Or, any other team that hasn't been to the Sweet 16 in the last three seasons.
        Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

I must honestly say, from the first time I met MT I didn't like him (mainly his personality) but I do respect him for what he HELPED do. When I first met HCGM I knew he was the man and have nothing but the upmost respect and admiration for him. That is my difference.

Comment

Mark has lived under the big lights before and learned from some of the best. He is much more reserved and guarded because of these experiences and impressions.

Gregg has traveled an entirely different route.

I understand what you are saying, and it's not that I disagree with you but all I am saying is that it is easier to get to know Gregg and appreciate the person that he is than it is to do the same thing with Mark.

I doubt that many (if any) very casual friends would say that Mark is easier to get along with or more fun to be around than Gregg. That conclusion borders on impossible. However, that shouldn't diminish Mark's position.

Say what you want about how he left and what he did (I certainly have to some extent) he still is a hell of a nice guy, a great family man and a good person at heart. Larry Brown he is not.

But yes, I'd rather play golf or go to war with Gregg.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

If you've ever meet Coach Marshall, he's one of the friendliest people you'll met. Full of stories and energy. One time, I met him and talked with him about one of Winthrop's games in the Big South tournament, and his eyes lit up like a kid on X-mas.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotel Paper
                If you've ever met Coach Marshall, he's one of the friendliest people you'll met. Full of stories and energy. One time, I met to him about one of Winthrop's games in the Big South tournament, and his eyes lit up like a kid on X-mas.
                Sometimes I try to understand what your saying and all I can think of is this.

A line I find worthy of consideration every time I hear someone say something mind-numbingly, anti-logically, paradoxically stupid. In other words, quite of...

I kid I kid, seriously though sometimes I have trouble understanding what your saying. Although this time I get it.

Comment

I have to agree that what's done is done. MT was exactly what we needed at that time (thanks Jim Shaus) and Gregg Marshall is exactly what we need NOW (thanks again, Jim Shaus).

Shocker basketball is on the rise and I am confident it will reach new heights with coach Marshall at the helm.

The best is truly yet to come. The rest is history, and we need to focus on writing some new chapters.

Comment

Every relationship is only as good as the way it ends.
                    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

I think most people give MT credit for what he did here. The problem is (and I have said this many times) that we didn't capitalize on the Sweet 16 appearance and that is his fault. We have NOTHING to show for it. We didn't land ONE solid recruit because of it. We went from the top of the MVC to the bottom in two years. You have to really try in order to mess things up that bad.

If MT is capable of coaching at the next level, which obviously at least one AD thinks he is, then he should have been capable of building on a successful run into the tournament. We were in no better position when he left than we he got here and we should have been!

Comment

I think the notion of capitalizing on a Sweet 16 run is a bit overdone.

We can all come up with lots and lots of examples of other teams that didn't capitalize on a much deeper run, including a national championship.

The Final Four is the ultimate high for many teams. But some big-name programs have been disappointments since their One Shining Moment, writes Mark Schlabach.

Indiana
                        Maryland
                        Syracuse
                        Oklahoma
                        Oklahoma State
                        LSU

Indiana (2002): reached the finals of the 2002 NCAA tournament. The Hoosiers lost to Pittsburgh 74-52 in the second round of the NCAA tournament the next season, then missed the NCAAs altogether in 2004 and 2005. Davis resigned before the 2005-06 season ended, and then Indiana reached the second round of the 2006 NCAA tournament, losing to Gonzaga, 90-80.

Sampson guided the Hoosiers to the second round of the NCAAs last season in his only postseason at the school. This season, Indiana lost four of its last five games under interim coach Dan Dakich, including a disappointing 86-72 loss to 9-seed Arkansas in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Maryland (2002): The Terrapins beat Indiana 64-52 in Atlanta's Georgia Dome to win the 2002 national championship. Maryland won at least 19 games in each of the next five seasons but has failed to go beyond the second round of the NCAA tournament after reaching the Sweet 16 in 2003.

With a 19-15 record this season, Maryland bowed out in the NIT's second round to Syracuse.

"I think the difficulty is there are really quality programs that are really very even," Maryland coach Gary Williams said. "A lot more schools around the country that don't have football have figured it out that if you pour most of your budget into men's basketball, it's going to generate a tremendous amount of income. The level and the numbers are way up compared to 10 or 15 years ago in terms of teams that take it serious enough to be good enough to play in the NCAA tournament."

Oklahoma (2002): Kelvin Sampson guided the Sooners to the 2002 Final Four, where they lost to Indiana 73-64 in the national semifinals. The Sooners came close to returning to the Final Four the next season, losing to eventual national champion Syracuse 63-47 in the regional finals.

Oklahoma hasn't gone past the second round of the NCAA tournament since, missing the tournament altogether with a 16-15 record last season. Sampson left for Indiana after the 2005-06 season (where he resigned last month for alleged NCAA rules violations). Jeff Capel has guided the Sooners to a 23-12 record this season, good enough for a 6-seed in the NCAA tournament, where they bowed out to Louisville in the second round.

Syracuse (2003): Jim Boeheim got his long-awaited title in 2003, but Syracuse has won just two NCAA tourney games in the five years since then.

Freshmen Carmelo Anthony and Gerry McNamara guided the Orange to their first national championship in 2003, but Syracuse has produced little noise in the NCAA tournament since. Anthony bolted for the NBA after only one college season. McNamara helped lead the Orange to two victories in the 2004 NCAA tournament before losing to Alabama 80-71 in the Sweet 16.

The following season, Syracuse was upset in the first round by No. 13 seed Vermont 60-57 in overtime. Syracuse then lost to No. 12 seed Texas A&M 66-58 in the first round in 2006. The Orange were left out of the NCAA tournament field in each of the past two seasons, although many believed they were worty of an at-large bid in 2007, when they finished the regular season with a 22-10 record, 10-6 in Big East play.

Oklahoma State (2004): After losing to Georgia Tech in the 2004 national semifinals, the Cowboys finished 26-7 and reached the Sweet 16 the next season, losing to Arizona, 79-78.

Oklahoma State labored through the next two seasons, however, after coach Eddie Sutton left the team during the 2005-06 season for health reasons. He was replaced on the bench by his son, Sean Sutton, who had been named the head coach designate in 2003. The Cowboys went 17-16 and played in the NIT in 2005-06. Last season, Oklahoma State was ranked as high as No. 9 in the country before fading badly down the stretch. The Cowboys finished 22-13 and were 6-10 in Big 12 play for the second straight season, failing to win a true road game. Oklahoma State lost to Marist 67-64 in the first round of the NIT, and Sutton resigned as head coach on Tuesday after only two seasons.

The Cowboys again lost in the NIT's first round this season, finishing with a 17-16 overall record and a 7-9 Big 12 mark.

Illinois (2005): The Illini, led by veterans Dee Brown, Luther Head, Roger Powell Jr. and Deron Williams, tied an NCAA record with 37 victories during the 2004-05 season. Illinois didn't lose until the final game of the regular season at Ohio State, then fell to North Carolina 75-70 in the 2005 championship game.

Illinois has struggled to replace the core of that great team. After losing to Washington in the second round of the 2006 NCAA tournament, the Illini were beaten by Virginia Tech in the first round last season. This year, Illinois' 16-19 season was its first losing campaign since 1998-99.

LSU (2006): Has any Final Four team fallen faster and further than the Tigers? Led by forwards Glen "Big Baby" Davis and Tyrus Thomas, LSU stormed into the Final Four of the 2006 NCAA tournament, knocking off No. 1 seed Duke and No. 2 seed Texas along the way. The Tigers lost to UCLA 59-45 in the national semifinals.

With Davis battling injuries last season, the Tigers finished 17-15, 5-11 in SEC play. Things got worse this season, and coach John Brady was fired Feb. 11 after his team lost 13 of its first 21 games. Interim coach Butch Pierre led the Tigers the rest of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                          You guys are freakin weird. The man resurected this program from the dumps and all you can do is disrespect him. Get over it already.
                          by doign what, taking us to the ncaa tourney one time?
                          im so sick of that.
                          even if that were true, he left it in worse shape than it was.
                          "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
                          CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock
                            Still left a big mess for Marshall to clean up.. not sure he left us in any better shape than Fogler did when he left.
                            I think Fogler left us in better shape than Turgeon did when he left. John Cooper and Paul Guffrovich were pretty good seniors, Gaylon Nickerson looked promising and we were coming off an NIT appearance. I'll fault Fogler for a number of things (recommending Cohen as his successor being one of them), but the cupboard wasn't that bare.

Comment

Originally posted by SWarehouse
                              Originally posted by jocoshock
                              Still left a big mess for Marshall to clean up.. not sure he left us in any better shape than Fogler did when he left.
                              I think Fogler left us in better shape than Turgeon did when he left. John Cooper and Paul Guffrovich were pretty good seniors, Gaylon Nickerson looked promising and we were coming off an NIT appearance. I'll fault Fogler for a number of things (recommending Cohen as his successor being one of them), but the cupboard wasn't that bare.
                              Thank you for blowing out the fuse.

Comment

This great Turgeon debate has been going on now for about a year with no end in sight.

Just curious - during the past six months, has anyone been convinced to switch sides?

Seriously doubt it!

Comment

Working...
                                X