Turgeon on KAKE with Haertl tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ABC
    I think the notion of capitalizing on a Sweet 16 run is a bit overdone.

We can all come up with lots and lots of examples of other teams that didn't capitalize on a much deeper run, including a national championship.

The Final Four is the ultimate high for many teams. But some big-name programs have been disappointments since their One Shining Moment, writes Mark Schlabach.

Indiana
    Maryland
    Syracuse
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma State
    LSU .
    All of those teams (except maybe LSU) have gone back to the NCAA and won games. WSU has finished in the bottom 3rd of their league with no post season play at all.

Comment

Turgeon even admitted that he got pretty lazy with recruiting after the sweet 16 appearance
      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

no he didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234
          Turgeon even admitted that he got pretty lazy with recruiting after the sweet 16 appearance
          When did he say this?

Comment

Ripemup, the fact that you are new shows through in your posts. To say that Turgeon left the program worse off than he found it may be the most ludicrous statement I've seen posted on this board in the last ten years.

Turgeon left little talent in the frosh through junior classes. He also left, at the very least, the best facilities in the league, a strong budget for men's basketball, name recognition, and the ability to attract and pay a coach at a high level.

I think that foundation will lead to more appearances in the future.
            Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234

There is NO way this is true. Link?

Comment

Originally posted by RipEmUpShox
                Originally posted by KC Shox
                You guys are freakin weird. The man resurected this program from the dumps and all you can do is disrespect him. Get over it already.
                by doign what, taking us to the ncaa tourney one time?
                im so sick of that.
                even if that were true, he left it in worse shape than it was.

You can't honestly think the program is in worse shape than when he got here....if so, you have to be like 12.

Comment

Originally posted by wsu789
                  Newshock, the fact that you are new shows through in your posts. To say that Turgeon left the program worse off than he found it may be the most ludicrous statement I've seen posted on this board in the last ten years.

Turgeon left little talent in the frosh through junior classes. He also left, at the very least, the best facilities in the league, a strong budget for men's basketball, name recognition, and the ability to attract and pay a coach at a high level.

Great Post.

No chance in hell a coach with GM's resume would consider a job like WSU in 2000....and that's not a slight towards MT. He just had very little head coaching experience at the time. We were still betting on the come.

He took a program from hiring in a pool of assistants and extremely low level D1 coaches to hiring a coach that built a program to a level of coaching in 8 NCAA tournament games. That is a remarkable statement on how much he progressed the program.

Comment

Originally posted by 7hottamales
                    You guys are freakin weird. The man resurected this program from the dumps and all you can do is disrespect him. Get over it already.
                    im so sick of that.

You can't honestly think the program is in worse shape than when he got here....if so, you have to be like 12.
                    I was thinking closer to 10. :shock:
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

No one can create a reasonable argument to say that the program was in worse shape than when he got here. You can make arguments for the players and talent level and balance and size, but not the state of the program as a whole.

However, I did read that Turg thought that recruiting would either be easier, or that they wouldn't have to work as hard. I can't remember exactly which it was, but it wasn't a big deal at the time because everyone else was thinking the same thing at the time.

He referenced this around the time he left.

Comment

im so sick of that.

:shock:

Ding, Ding, Ding! This post is in the running for the most ludicrous post in the history of Shockernet! Congratulations RipEmUpShox! You have posted some classics in the past, but you raised the bar with this treasure... your post will live in emphamy.
                        :good:

P.S. I'm going to give you the benefit of doubt... maybe your were j/k?
                        SFL is back!

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89
                          Originally posted by ABC
                          I think the notion of capitalizing on a Sweet 16 run is a bit overdone.

We can all come up with lots and lots of examples of other teams that didn't capitalize on a much deeper run, including a national championship.

The Final Four is the ultimate high for many teams. But some big-name programs have been disappointments since their One Shining Moment, writes Mark Schlabach.

Indiana
                          Maryland
                          Syracuse
                          Oklahoma
                          Oklahoma State
                          LSU .
                          All of those teams (except maybe LSU) have gone back to the NCAA and won games. WSU has finished in the bottom 3rd of their league with no post season play at all.
                          And this will just be our 3rd year since the Sweet 16 and we made just the S16 while those made the Final 4, National Championship game or were the national champs (Maryland).

Comment

yea he said in a interview right before he left, which was on sport sunday.

Comment

When Ralph Miller left us, fans egged his house and for years they hated Ralph. Forty years later, Ralph had a banner hung in Levitt and everyone loved him again.

History need not repeat itself. Spending the next forty years hating on Mark is no better than those who did it to Ralph.

[quote="SWarehouse"]
                              Originally posted by jocoshock
                              I'll fault Fogler for a number of things (recommending Cohen as his successor being one of them), but the cupboard wasn't that bare.
                              Mike Dart hired Cohen. It wasn't Fogler & it wasn't Tom Shupe. Before Tom left on Friday for a trip to the east coast, Shupe told the committee not to hire anyone. Shupe returned on SUnday and was informed Cohen had been hired. Shupe was furious. Dart threatened to pull his financial contributions if Cohen wasn't hired. The end.
                              Egotism is the anesthetic of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by wsu789
                                Newshock, the fact that you are new shows through in your posts. To say that Turgeon left the program worse off than he found it may be the most ludicrous statement I've seen posted on this board in the last ten years.

where in my post did i say he left us worse off? I watched a interview of him right before he left with Heartl on sports sunday, that said he thought he got lazy with recruiting after the sweet 16 appearance. But never did i say he left us worse off.

Comment

Working...
                                X