Eric Sexton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
    No doubt Jim Schaus did a great job for WSU and will be a tough, but not impossible act to follow.

However, we should not expect Eric Sexton to be a Jim Schaus. Eric, if he is the right person for the job (and I have high hopes that he will profve he is), will carve out his own identity and style.

Not necessarily better or worse than Jim Schaus, but it won't be exactly the same either. Hopefully, it will be just as or more successful than the Jim Schaus tenure.

President Beggs has apparently been thinking about this for sometime.
    I agree about the difference in styles. If we were asking Eric, with no AD experience, to turn around an athletic department, as Jim did when he came to WSU, we would be in trouble. Asking him to use his management and inter-personal skills to maintain and grow a well organized athletic department is an entirely different thing.

My dad and I were talking about who would take over (before the hire was announced), and noted:

A) that Jim has a founders personality and is better at building than maintaining, so his departure is not as big a loss as it would appear on the surface, since he had accomplished building the program and could hand it off to someone else in good shape.

and

B) that however came after Jim would likely be best served to be a maintainer of the program in style. Given the top to bottom quality of the athletic department, staying at a high level is more pressing than building to a high level. Someone who makes sure that Jim's work stays firm in the future would be a good hire.

To me, this appears to be a hire that would not make any sense for a school that needed major rebuilding or the athletic department and/or many sports. For a school that has an excellent athletic department and outstanding coaching across the board, it has potential to ensure a smooth transition and the maintenance of the department into the future.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
      No doubt Jim Schaus did a great job for WSU and will be a tough, but not impossible act to follow.

However, we should not expect Eric Sexton to be a Jim Schaus. Eric, if he is the right person for the job (and I have high hopes that he will profve he is), will carve out his own identity and style.

Not necessarily better or worse than Jim Schaus, but it won't be exactly the same either. Hopefully, it will be just as or more successful than the Jim Schaus tenure.

I agree about the difference in styles. If we were asking Eric, with no AD experience, to turn around an athletic department, as Jim did when he came to WSU, we would be in trouble. Asking him to use his management and inter-personal skills to maintain and grow a well organized athletic department is an entirely different thing.

My dad and I were talking about who would take over (before the hire was announced), and noted:

A) that Jim has a founders personality and is better at building than maintaining, so his departure is not as big a loss as it would appear on the surface, since he had accomplished building the program and could hand it off to someone else in good shape.

and

B) that however came after Jim would likely be best served to be a maintainer of the program in style. Given the top to bottom quality of the athletic department, staying at a high level is more pressing than building to a high level. Someone who makes sure that Jim's work stays firm in the future would be a good hire.

To me, this appears to be a hire that would not make any sense for a school that needed major rebuilding or the athletic department and/or many sports. For a school that has an excellent athletic department and outstanding coaching across the board, it has potential to ensure a smooth transition and the maintenance of the department into the future.
      TMH, you nailed it perfectly. :good:
      Dr. Beggs made similar points in the presser.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

and

I was kinda of wondering along your lines that if we needed a new Coach for some reason does he have the national connections to preform and hire a Coach like Greg Marshall. No doubt that Jim had the connections and as such hopefully if needed Eric has relationships that will help him if needed. Obviously more goes into it than is known by the layman.

I am very content with the senior posters happiness here on SN with the hire. Besides the Captain(Dr. Beggs) of our ship is a fine steward for all that is WSU
        1/16/2010 on the "Screw at the Q" HCGM... " Ive never seen a foul parade like that...If you would of let me know it was going to be a foul parade I would of brought a different team" .... "dont talk to me about fouls....Ive got to go back and look at some tape... I have some thoughts but I need to look at the tape and then I will have something very strong to say"

Comment

One relationship that Eric/WSU does have that could prove helpful in looking for Coaches (hopefully something that does not occur with too much regularity) is the relationship with one Mr. Jim Schaus.

Of course, Jim won't be very valuable if WSU and Ohio have searches for the same sport going on or imminent.

Comment

I would assume that Dr. Sexton is somewhat familiar with the Market-Based Management Institute? My guess would be that he’s read the book.

Dr. Beggs mentioned in the presser that he had contacted our “heavy hitters” prior to offering the job to Dr. Sexton… they were all very supportive of the hire. I would be very surprised if the first call wasn’t made to the man whose name appears on our arena.

:good:
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

If an AD could get student athletes out of political hot-spots like Nigeria he would have to have connections. Eric Sexton does.

If an AD could resurrect a Football program, he would have to be one heck of a fundraiser with connections to the history of the program...

Sounds like a good hire to me.
              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
              -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU

and

He got them from me. :whistle:

Comment

I know both Eric & Kathy and they are good people, one heck of a power couple. In spite of this my first instinct for a split second was to scratch my head but then I remembered...

President Beggs is the man! As the Aussies say "No worries mate!" :good:

Thank you Jim.

Congratulations Eric.

President Beggs, Sir, you have my full confidence, thank you for your continued leadership.

Go Shocks!!!!
                  “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle

If an AD could get student athletes out of political hot-spots like Nigeria he would have to have connections. Eric Sexton does.

If an AD could resurrect a Football program, he would have to be one heck of a fundraiser with connections to the history of the program...

Sounds like a good hire to me.
                    At first, I thought that was ESPN's Mike Tirico

Comment

For anyone who thinks that going outside the university or outside the city was mandatory, consider this:

We did all that one time and ended up with...Gary Hunter. He was what some think we should have hired today. That was a bad hire.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                        I know Eric and I think he is a great person. If he can do the job, he would be fantastic. I have some concerns, however.
                        1. JS generally did a great job picking new coaches. Can Eric select the next Chris Lamb or Mark Turgeon? What is his sports background?
                        2. JS had great external connections. How about Eric?
                        3. Can Eric hold onto good WSU coaches? Can we keep Lamb, Marshall, Chris Young, Steve Rainbolt, etc.?
                        4. Can Eric raise money? JS devoted most of his effort to raising money.
                        Ditto all of the above, particularly about previous sports administration experience.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                          Originally posted by WstateU

and

He got them from me. :whistle:
                          Me or Beggs?
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I would never acuse TMH of plagerism......it's Beggs.

Comment

Are you saying he got Orupke out of Nigeria?

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock

Are you saying he got Orupke out of Nigeria?
                                i heard that to. i hope its true. :yes:
                                ________
                                ZX14 VS HAYABUSA
                                http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

Working...
                                X