X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockRef
    Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
    My opinion of President Beggs' choice just went up:
    As evidence, members point to examples of diversity at its best in Wichita -- such as this week's hiring of Eric Sexton as Wichita State University's new athletic director. Sexton is the state's first black athletic director at an NCAA Division I school. http://www.kansas.com/news/story/370722.html Where do KU and KSU stand with respect to diversity?

Eric is an ``insider'' and a WSU supporter. If he is not being successful, I'll bet he would offer to step down and return to his highly successful job representing WSU in Topeka. He has the academic standing to serve in a high position at WSU and he loves the university. Do I want Eric as AD when he is 63 years old? I don't know because it depends on the quality of his work but sometimes change is good; I don't really expect Eric to be AD for 20 years. I do expect him to do a good job for 5-6 years and leave the athletic department in better shape than it is now. I expect him to step down if he is not successful. It seems like a win-win situation; we keep him for as long as we want if he is successful and he leaves if he can't do the job well enough for WSU athletics to keep improving.
    Exactly what does 'diversity' have to do with being a qualified A.D.? Absolutely nothing.
    This sounds like a typical liberal slant to make one's self 'feel better' about being a so-called good citizen.
    This appointment should have nothing to do with diversity. It had better be about the right guy for the job. Diversity may make some feel good at the moment. But that 'feel good' moment will be long forgotten if they are not qualified to perform the job and the department suffers the consequences. 8)
    I would agree with your point if I didn't think Eric was qualified for the job; hiring someone only because of her/his race or gender is really dumb. (This reminds me of former WSU vice president Joyce Scott, who was terrible.) I think we are taking a risk but Eric brings a lot of positive items to this job. In addition, I have heard that a number D1 ADs came to their positions from management rather than sports backgrounds.

President Beggs would not have commented in the media on Eric's lack of sports administration background if this was not an issue and a concern; your concern is certainly warranted and reasonable. In some ways, the most important role of the AD is to select outstanding coaches; the other issues like fund raising, managing the athletics department, etc. are important but the levels of success (or failure) on the field/court/track/etc. strongly influence the image of WSU, the willingness of donors to contribute, the willingness of top recruits to come here, etc. The current coaches are comfortable with Eric, as are "the donors." I don't see any coaches leaving in the next two years. Since the current coaches are good (i.e. Gene, Marshall, Lamb, Young, Rainbolt, Perniciaro, Jones, McCurdy, Burns and Jody Adams), I think we are set (and safe) for a couple of years. I think Eric will do a good job.

To me, the "diversity" aspect is icing on the cake. It might offer WSU some nice public relations attention and Eric's patient, humble (but tough) personality will yield additional public benefits for WSU.
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

A question I wonder about is the use of search firms in identifying perspective Coach's. Schaus has openly referenced their use in the men's basketball search, does anyone have an idea if similar methods are used for the lower profile programs?

I'll hang-up and listen off the air.

Go Shocks!!!!
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock
        A question I wonder about is the use of search firms in identifying perspective Coach's. Schaus has openly referenced their use in the men's basketball search, does anyone have an idea if similar methods are used for the lower profile programs?

I'll hang-up and listen off the air.

Go Shocks!!!!
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Anybody?
        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

From the Wichita Business Journal...

Eric Sexton

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
            From the Wichita Business Journal...

Eric Sexton
            It is a high-profile position that will put him in a position to be criticized by a community that is passionate about its Shockers.

I think each of us hopes Eric is successful. If he is not, then many Shocker fans will let their views be known. To me, this is President Beggs' big roll of the dice and he will be judged by the results. Shocker fans hope he doesn't roll Snake Eyes.
            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I am with ShockerRef.

The president of Texas A&M is a female, Cuban refugee, American.

The chairman of the board of regents is a black American.

Both are over the top qualified.

Comment

Working...
              X