No announcement yet.

Eric Sexton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like I said elsewhere, if he's half the man his father is he'll work out great here. The national thing is a valid concern but I'm sure if it comes to that Jim can hook him up with some reliable contacts. Not to mention that the WSU name will carry weight on its own. The more I read and think about it the more I like it. Also considering who his father is football may not be completely off the table in the future.

And if our good Doc likes him :D
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Given Shaus performance and the shocks financial position it's not unreasonable to assume that football is a signature move for the next AD and I would think ES would be a strong player in that regard. Let's go SHOCKS!

Comment

Have only met him once but came away very impressed. Plus he bleeds black and gold. It is still a GREAT DAY TO BE A SHOCKER!

Comment

Will the presser be video streamed like the previous coaching announcements?
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

One other concern (similar to his national exposure) will be his ability to develop high quality schedules with so-called big name Universities.

Comment

If I hadn't known Eric since high school, I would be really, really, really, really concerned about bringing in someone with no experience (so far as I know) in athletics administration. As it is, I am really, really, really, really surprised.

Eric is a great guy and I consider him a good friend. I'm just a little bit baffled by the choice, particularly given the comments about the "short list" Don had been gathering.

I really hope it works, because you couldn't find a guy more competent at what he does and dedicated to WSU than Eric Sexton.
              Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

I know Eric and I think he is a great person. If he can do the job, he would be fantastic. I have some concerns, however.
                1. JS generally did a great job picking new coaches. Can Eric select the next Chris Lamb or Mark Turgeon? What is his sports background?
                2. JS had great external connections. How about Eric?
                3. Can Eric hold onto good WSU coaches? Can we keep Lamb, Marshall, Chris Young, Steve Rainbolt, etc.?
                4. Can Eric raise money? JS devoted most of his effort to raising money.
                Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Internally, this might be a good hire. But I worry about his connections and knowledge (of college athletics). He has lived in a bubble and only knows WSU. I would like to have explored some other options that have experienced other athletic departments and will bring a broader knowledge of what things work/don't work in collegiate athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                    I know Eric and I think he is a great person. If he can do the job, he would be fantastic. I have some concerns, however.
                    1. JS generally did a great job picking new coaches. Can Eric select the next Chris Lamb or Mark Turgeon? What is his sports background?
                    3. Can Eric hold onto good WSU coaches? Can we keep Lamb, Marshall, Chris Young, Steve Rainbolt, etc.?

There are always going to valid concerns regarding a hire that has not previously occupied the same position elsewhere.

1. Great question and 1 that hopefully he doesn't have to answer in the next year or two as he gathers experience.

2. Locally, far better. Nationally probably not today but I suspect he will very soon.

3. That's why he was hired, imho, and I have every confidence in his skills here.

4. A resounding yes. JS was good here. Eric will be better.

Comment

Est. Annual Sales:$9,708,874
                      Est. Employees:100
                      Est. Employees at Location:100
                      Contact Name:Jim Schaus
                      Contact Title:Director
                      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

In his PC he or Beggs, one of the two, mentioned that he'd been involved in some of the coaching searches/hires.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                          I know Jim Schaus.
                          Jim Schaus is a friend of mine.
                          Eric Sexton is no Jim Schaus.

Spangler 's #2 hit it on the head. JS is very well connected and knows people within the inner circle. Does ES? I highly doubt it.
                          I'm not saying he is a bad hire. He may turn out to be very successful. However, from an initial view, they could have looked around a bit more put out some feelers to current & qualified AD's.
                          We'll see. 8)
                          Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Don't overestimate our leverage in hiring an AD...it's a much different position at WSU than head men's basketball coach with a dramatically different level of attractiveness.

Trust me, there were not going to be any slam dunk hires for this. If Marshall is really comfortable with it, then that's an excellent start. We need GM to feel really good about his situation going forward for this athletic department to maintain stabilized and prosperous.

Comment

I find it weird that at the press conference, there was only one question asked. Is the media just stunned by this announcement and didn't know what to ask?

Comment

It's just Wichita media
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X