2017-18 Smack Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
    "Kevin Haskin: Priorities remain appropriate for KU football makeover" - Topeka Capital-Journal

By Kevin Haskin
    Updated June 23, 2017 10:28 pm

"...Also, there is a basketball program at Kansas that takes precedence. In particular, doing whatever it takes to keep Bill Self content.

Football remains important, however. Teams in the Power Five all attempt to recruit, condition, coach and play at a high level. Without football, you’re Wichita State in the American Conference, talking about how you’re in the Power Six...."
    IMO Haskins' assessment is correct regards the Beakers and speaks to the Beakers future when the Big 12 is no more. Unlikely the Beakers will be an attractive add to any of the remaining P4 conferences, thus the Beakers will hope they can join the American.

Comment

Hey, mini, maybe you weren't around when KU controlled the Board of Regents and any new academic programs at WSU had to first be approved by KU. Or when WSU built a medical school from scratch (at 9th and 135) and just as they were ready to apply for accreditation, KU claimed that there could only be one college with a medical program and just plain confiscated WSU's medical school.

Or when Roy Williams (when he coached at KU) turned WSU in to the NCAA for recruiting violations when Maurice Evans came to play at WSU. Because if a recruit chose WSU over KU, surely WSU had cheated. And that was all the evidence he had or needed for the NCAA to send two guys down to WSU and spend a couple weeks digging through EVERYTHING looking for the slightest infraction. They found a practice that had run 20 minutes past the time allowed.

KU, the school itself, has been treating WSU like we belong in a group with Friends and Kansas Newman, but certainly not in any group they're associated with. KU fans have insulted and disrespected us for years. KU's players? Kelly Oubre was so "concerned" about playing WSU in the NCAA's a few years ago, that he told a reporter that he slept through WSU's game instead of watching it. In the game, Zach Brown clowned him on a loose ball and got a SC-top-10 type breakaway dunk.

When we've been disrespected, insulted, and looked down on for so long - pretty much forever - we push back.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        Hey, mini, maybe you weren't around when KU controlled the Board of Regents and any new academic programs at WSU had to first be approved by KU. Or when WSU built a medical school from scratch (at 9th and 135) and just as they were ready to apply for accreditation, KU claimed that there could only be one college with a medical program and just plain confiscated WSU's medical school.

Or when Roy Williams (when he coached at KU) turned WSU in to the NCAA for recruiting violations when Maurice Evans came to play at WSU. Because if a recruit chose WSU over KU, surely WSU had cheated. And that was all the evidence he had or needed for the NCAA to send two guys down to WSU and spend a couple weeks digging through EVERYTHING looking for the slightest infraction. They found a practice that had run 20 minutes past the time allowed.

KU, the school itself, has been treating WSU like we belong in a group with Friends and Kansas Newman, but certainly not in any group they're associated with. KU fans have insulted and disrespected us for years. KU's players? Kelly Oubre was so "concerned" about playing WSU in the NCAA's a few years ago, that he told a reporter that he slept through WSU's game instead of watching it. In the game, Zach Brown clowned him on a loose ball and got a SC-top-10 type breakaway dunk.

When we've been disrespected, insulted, and looked down on for so long - pretty much forever - we push back.
        Please don't clutter the mini-troll's mind with facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
          IMO Haskins' assessment is correct regards the Beakers and speaks to the Beakers future when the Big 12 is no more. Unlikely the Beakers will be an attractive add to any of the remaining P4 conferences, thus the Beakers will hope they can join the American.
          If that's what he said, he didn't do it very artfully.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
            If that's what he said, he didn't do it very artfully.
            His article is on line (see below); Haskins is a KU fan so that is as artfully stated as he is capable.
            http://cjonline.com/sports/hawkzone/columns/2017-06-23/kevin-haskin-priorities-remain-appropriate-ku-football-makeover

Comment

His article is on line (see below); Haskins is a KU fan so that is as artfully stated as he is capable.
              http://cjonline.com/sports/hawkzone/columns/2017-06-23/kevin-haskin-priorities-remain-appropriate-ku-football-makeover

yes ku has an elite basketball program but so do we. in just a few years the big 12 tv contract expires and only then will they will know exactly what their conference is worth. the networks obviously are not happy with what they are paying and I would imagine that with the changing scene of television they are losing money or not hitting their profitability targets.

strip away the conference affiliation and the hapless football team, the beakers look a lot like wichita state... other than brief periods, they have never had a pattern of success in football - why would that change now? i'm not sure how anybody else feels but I'm sure the big 12 will not be even the big 12-2 in about six or seven years - texas and oklahoma have a brand that will be sought after - the remainder not so much. the expiration of their tv contract will serve as the catalyst for its implosion.

maybe the mountain west will let them in.

Comment

Please don't clutter the mini-troll's mind with facts.
                GO back and read my intro. I never claimed to be a long-time shocker fan. So I have zero shame in not knowing about Evans. That being said, I would like links to stories about both.
                1976, next time quote me if you want to talk smack.

Comment

Those chickens (term I learned from ShockerNet) have an elite program, but IMO, are the least impressive of all the "blue-bloods." All those elite recruits and hyped up preseason rankings have resulted in quite mediocre results (for a top-echelon program).

And, given the rosters, the Shockers would easily whip the chickens this year. Just an outsider's perspective...

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
                    Those chickens (term I learned from ShockerNet) have an elite program, but IMO, are the least impressive of all the "blue-bloods." All those elite recruits and hyped up preseason rankings have resulted in quite mediocre results (for a top-echelon program).

And, given the rosters, the Shockers would easily whip the chickens this year. Just an outsider's perspective...
                    Early leader for ShockerNet rookie of the year...
                    78-65

Comment

This.

Talk to KU fans and the Jayhawks are a lock to join the B1G. Talk to non-Nebraska B1G people and they will say otherwise.

Husker fans want the Jayhawks for the easy commute and history. The B1G wants, no, needs a football power in the west. Kansas has a very rich basketball history, something that would be a nice add-on to the B1G, but the B1G doesn't need a nice add-on, the B1G needs a football power in the west. When the carnival tent comes down in the Big 12, Oklahoma, if travel isn't a roadblock, just might fit the bill. Mizzou could be poached, or even Cincy, bumping an east team west. Kansas is a tough sell. Maybe they finally realize this, ergo the planned upgrades.
                      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by mini-shock View Post
                        GO back and read my intro. I never claimed to be a long-time shocker fan. So I have zero shame in not knowing about Evans. That being said, I would like links to stories about both.
                        1976, next time quote me if you want to talk smack.
                        Who did you root for before you quite recently became a WSU fan?

You do realize most on this message board are lifelong WSU fans. I'm quite familiar with the history of WSU back to somewhere in the 1950's and I'm not going to waste my time trying to dig up links for stuff I know is a fact.

Those who refuse to learn from others who have gone before them are some of the most ignorant people who have ever lived. You are fitting very well into that category.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

He may have gone to KU but he hasn't been anti-WSU in the past. He came from Wichita and went to North High. He's always been respectful of his hometown. For example, he has followed us through our F4 season and the 31-0 one to follow with good stories, including comments saying KU and K-State should be playing us. His comment above, didn't sound like his respectful past statements but either he didn't mean it the way it sounded, or he was being less respectful this time.

Comment

Who did you root for before you quite recently became a WSU fan?

You do realize most on this message board are lifelong WSU fans. I'm quite familiar with the history of WSU back to somewhere in the 1950's and I'm not going to waste my time trying to dig up links for stuff I know is a fact.

Those who refuse to learn from others who have gone before them are some of the most ignorant people who have ever lived. You are fitting very well into that category.
                            It would sure be nice to have Fever back to vet this little troll!

Comment

Originally posted by mini-shock View Post
                              These are old stories and difficult to find on the internet. Those stories aren't archived on free sites. You will need to visit the library.

The first story can be found in a book. I can't remember the name, but I'm sure someone here will give the title. The second one can be found on microphish of Wichita Eagle articles somewhere between 1998 and 2000.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                                It would sure be nice to have Fever back to vet this little troll!
                                Thats for sure. All we had to say was "Sick'em" and he took care of the rest.

Comment

Working...
                                X