New AHC Donnie Jones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
    Jeff ******* stated "top assistant." Is that not associate head coach? I would think those mean the same thing.
    Not necessarily. Every program has a top assistant, or a senior assistant (the guy who has been around longest, as Greg Heiar was of the official assistants at WSU before he left), but not every program has someone designated as AHC (as we saw the last couple of seasons at WSU, which didn't have one). AHC is an extra status, which means that a guy is specifically designated as the top assistant and has a first-among-equals sort of position among the assistants.

Edit: If he's a poor tactician that's too bad, because we know that CJ was an exceptionally good tactician and game adjustment guy. But we also know that Marshall is a very good judge of coaching talent, so if this is what he believes he needs at this point to take the step up, then I'm willing to trust his choice.

Maybe 3G should get one of the SN experts to serve as his X's and O's special assistant. Or maybe he can find a former coach who is known to have been good at that type of thing and scouting but wasn't so great at bringing in players, and hire a new special assistant to replace CJ. Marshall obviously has been able to find the money for that somehow, so maybe he can do it again -- like what Nick Saban does with his collection of former head coaches who serve as low-dollar analysts (Lane Kiffin, Steve Sarkisian, etc.)
    Last edited by WSUwatcher; April 19, 2017, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
      "Jones has had a hand in the recruitment and development of 13 NBA Draft picks, most recently seven-footer, Hassan Whiteside, who led the NCAA in blocks during his lone season at Marshall. Currently a member of the Miami Heat, Whiteside was the NBA's 2016 blocks leader and captured the league's rebounding crown in 2017.

In addition, Jones signed Tacko Fall – the American Athletic Conference's 2017 Defensive Player of the Year – as part of his final UCF recruiting class.

Jones also excelled on the recruiting trail as an assistant. During his 11 years at Florida (1996-2007), the program signed 11 McDonald's High School All-America selections and boasted top-five national recruiting classes on five occasions. Following Florida's second national title in 2007, five of Jones' pupils -- Corey Brewer, Taurean Green, Al Horford, Joakim Noah and Chris Richard - were selected in the draft.
      "

The lunker is nigh.

Just keep the line tight...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
        What I like about this that hasn't been mentioned yet is that Coach Jones appears to be a motivational positive-thinking type of a guy. That means that he should have a strong enough personality to help Gregg. Obviously, an assistant coach will understand his spot in the staff hierarchy, but a strong personality like Gregg doesn't need yes men on his staff either. Coach Jones should be strong enough to suggest that Gregg make in-game adjustments when needed.
        Excellent post WuShock16!!!
        SHOCKERS & AWE

"Go Ahead, Try To Jinx Us" ~ The Monsters Of The Midwest

"Wichita State fans bring the noise to another level. The roar
        gets into your skull, giving you a mild case of vertigo."

Comment

Wha happened....?

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
            Just keep the line tight...

Also an excellent post!

Comment

I know GH & CJ were both good scouts & tactics guys. Perhaps the hiring of an assistant not considered to be strong in those areas means that HCGM believes that coaches Lindsted & Brown are solid enough in those areas to carry the staff.
              Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
                Also an excellent post!
                Fishing with a brunette is way cooler...
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by ShanShock View Post
                  
                  Just curious. What does this mean?

Comment

Wow! Nice addition! Anytime you can get a former head coach that has developed NBA talent, a scout for an NBA team, recruited bigs and is a motivational speaker type...you done good me thinks!!!

Doesn't hurt at all that he knows the American Conference and is well versed in recruiting the Florida kids.

It's a good day! Welcome to Wichita Donnie!!!
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      Just curious. What does this mean?
                      Hay 1972Shocker ~ You talking to me? I have no clue what it means. sorry
                      SHOCKERS & AWE

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                        Wow! Nice addition! Anytime you can get a former head coach that has developed NBA talent, a scout for an NBA team, recruited bigs and is a motivational speaker type...you done good me thinks!!!

Doesn't hurt at all that he knows the American Conference and is well versed in recruiting the Florida kids.

It's a good day! Welcome to Wichita Donnie!!!
                        Should 3G get a bonus for landing him?
                        SHOCKERS & AWE

Comment

Originally posted by ShanShock View Post
                          Hay 1972Shocker ~ You talking to me? I have no clue what it means. sorry
                          Just wondered. I asked you since it appeared to be your reply to a post.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLSHIP View Post
                            UCF's first year coach took them to the NIT Final Four.

I'd say it's the coach not the school.
                            Who recruited the players that first year coach used? Let's face it, Johnny Dawkins didn't exactly set the world on fire at Stanford. He must have inherited decent players
                            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Recruits Florida and the east Coast well - according to posters on the American board.

The most pressing need right now is to fill the 2018 class. The returning players don't need a lot of "coaching". Jones pretty much gets an entire year to do what he does best - recruit - while learning how to coach players in Marshall's system.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLSHIP View Post
                                This guy sucked at UCF. He was horrible. RIP
                                If 3G thinks he is great he will be great. If he isnt great now 3G will make him great.PS the thank and like on your post was a mistake, I thought it was for the post after yours.
                                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                                X