No announcement yet.

2017-18 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College basketball is defined by its coaches. There is Coach K and John Calipari, Roy Williams and Jim Boeheim, Tom Izzo, Rick Pitino and Bill Self. Over the next decade, they will slowly step away. Who takes their place atop the mountain?

Comment

• Bill Self and Gregg Marshall are the same age. Bill self reported to have indicate he does not want to coach into his late 60's. Gregg Marshall has indicated the same thing although I don't know if he has put a specific target age on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        Bill Self and Gregg Marshall are the same age. Bill self reported to have indicate he does not want to coach into his late 60's. Gregg Marshall has indicated the same thing although I don't know if he has put a specific target age on it.
        Pretty sure Marshall has mentioned not coaching past 60. How set he is in that I am not sure. But I am 99% sure he has said that multiple times
        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
          Pretty sure Marshall has mentioned not coaching past 60. How set he is in that I am not sure. But I am 99% sure he has said that multiple times
          That's something that 40 somethings say.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
            It seems hard for HOF-type coaches to finally let go. Calhoun was planning on retiring after the 2010-2011 season, but stayed on a few more years. I believe Boeheim announced his retirement plans last year then took it back, which is why his top assistant and heir-apparent left for the job at Washington.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
              Except he has been saying it, even after hitting 50.

Not saying he won't coach past 60, but he hasn't wavered on that yet.
              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

We'll see when the time comes.

He clearly loves teaching guys how to play winning basketball, and he's competitive as hell (and I'm guessing would love to win a national championship); and those itches can't easily be scratched except by coaching. So if he's still enjoying it, still winning, and still making big bucks and being treated like a king, who knows? I won't be surprised to see him prowling the sidelines at CKA when he's 61 (or even 65, for that matter).

Comment

• Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
                  It seems hard for HOF-type coaches to finally let go. Calhoun was planning on retiring after the 2010-2011 season, but stayed on a few more years. I believe Boeheim announced his retirement plans last year then took it back, which is why his top assistant and heir-apparent left for the job at Washington.
                  Anyone with a pulse should know enough not to believe a word that comes out of Boeheim's mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post

He clearly loves teaching guys how to play winning basketball, and he's competitive as hell (and I'm guessing would love to win a national championship); and those itches can't easily be scratched except by coaching. So if he's still enjoying it, still winning, and still making big bucks and being treated like a king, who knows? I won't be surprised to see him prowling the sidelines at CKA when he's 61 (or even 65, for that matter).
                    I agree, until one day he hangs it up a la Bob Stoops.

Comment

• ESPN did a "Building the Perfect College Basketball Team for 2017-18". Shamet makes the team at #7 on the bench:

We're not talking All-America teams or the 10 best players. We are talking the best "team" from the first five on the floor to the subs off the bench. Plus, they need to be coached. So just imagine this: John Calipari and Rick Pitino on the same staff.

No. 7 pick

Landry Shamet, guard, Wichita State Shockers
                      Don't know much about Shamet? He's the 6-4 sophomore point guard who led Wichita State to 31 wins last season, scored 20 points (5-for-7 inside the arc) with zero turnovers in a second-round loss to Kentucky and made 44 percent of his 3-point attempts in 2016-17. Yes, he's with us. And now you know.
                      "I discovered surfing, which I absolutely fell in love with. That feels good and kind of keeps your body aligned, so does the salt water." - Anthony Kiedis

"I'm not worried. Are you worried? You shouldn't be. Sleep well tonight. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Spaulding View Post
                        ESPN did a "Building the Perfect College Basketball Team for 2017-18". Shamet makes the team at #7 on the bench:

We're not talking All-America teams or the 10 best players. We are talking the best "team" from the first five on the floor to the subs off the bench. Plus, they need to be coached. So just imagine this: John Calipari and Rick Pitino on the same staff.

No. 7 pick

Landry Shamet, guard, Wichita State Shockers
                        Don't know much about Shamet? He's the 6-4 sophomore point guard who led Wichita State to 31 wins last season, scored 20 points (5-for-7 inside the arc) with zero turnovers in a second-round loss to Kentucky and made 44 percent of his 3-point attempts in 2016-17. Yes, he's with us. And now you know.
                        What no Beakers!
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I gotta believe, at some point after building a superpower as Marshall has, that some aspects of the job get easier; hence, coaching beyond what one thought when younger and still building. One more reason not to leave a program like ours for some "better opportunity."

Comment

• "The top 25 college basketball players with something to prove this season" - CBS Sports

by Matt Norlander
                            posted 07/19/17

Here are the under-the-radar players who will have breakout seasons in 2017-18:

"Every season of college basketball provides a cluster of veteran players who become stars, guys who are asked to do more and thus find themselves competing not just for NCAA Tournament inclusion, but also all-conference accolades and even, sometimes, vaulting onto NBA mock draft boards.

With that in mind, we're looking at 25 players who need to prove their value next season -- and have the talent to do so. Here the under-the-radar studs, all of whom that averaged less than 10.0 points last season.

Despite limited impact last season, we can still identify 25 players who can, and should, become breakout players in 2017-18. Here they are listed in no particular order:

...Zach Brown, Wichita State: Wichita State coaches believe he's a top-three defender in all of college basketball. He's also going to become the Shockers' third-best player this season, contributing in myriad ways around Landry Shamet and Markis McDuffie...."

Comment

• This article is about picking any 10 college players to make the absolutely best basketball team that can be made - not necessarily the 10 best players in the nation. Shamet was his #7 pick.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post

In the photos I have seen of HCGM over the summer, he looks very fit, tanned, and relaxed. He's taking care of his health and well-being, so that's good.

Comment

Working...
                                X