No announcement yet.

2017-18 National Poll Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have been winning, but barely. Baylor and Okie State lost, so our best wins are not the greatest currently. If I’m being honest, we have not played like a top 10 team most of the year. I’m completely fine with going down 1 spot. What is great though is we are #9 and have been no where near our potential.

Comment

• My obvious reaction to a situation like this is to smile and accept the fact that dropping one spot does not hurt us as we are still in the Top 10, while simultaneously cursing because it just simply pisses me off.

Comment

• Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
        My obvious reaction to a situation like this is to smile and accept the fact that dropping one spot does not hurt us as we are still in the Top 10, while simultaneously cursing because it just simply pisses me off.
        Just out of curiosity, which one-loss team in front of us are we better than? Yes we could probably beat many of them on a good night, but we've done nothing to prove that. #9 is about right if not just a couple spots too high. One could make an argument that teams like TCU, with their one loss to the same team we lost to, should be ranked ahead of us. I don't know what people are complaining about. WSU is actually getting the benefit of the doubt this year. We're definitely not getting screwed.

Comment

• ShockingButTrue
          ShockingButTrue commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, WVU beat O-State at their gym by 6, and we beat 'em there by 12, if that means anything.

The same Cowboys team that has a victory over the Seminoles, who looked pretty good at Duke last Saturday. Just sayin'.

• Originally posted by ICT2CLT View Post

Just out of curiosity, which one-loss team in front of us are we better than? Yes we could probably beat many of them on a good night, but we've done nothing to prove that. #9 is about right if not just a couple spots too high. One could make an argument that teams like TCU, with their one loss to the same team we lost to, should be ranked ahead of us. I don't know what people are complaining about. WSU is actually getting the benefit of the doubt this year. We're definitely not getting screwed.
        In the case of TCU, many voters are waiting to see if they can win on the road. Quality road wins count for a lot.

Comment

ICT2CLT

I am assuming you understand that there is a significant amount of subjectivity that goes into any ranking system. Just because one or more teams have lost only one game and we have lost two, has to be balanced as to their strength of schedule up to this point. In other words, who did they play.

I personally have not done this. Have you? One would expect that the individual pollsters have.

And who are you to say that, "we have done nothing to prove that #9 is about right if not just a couple spots too high." Just what scientific analysis are you basing this on?

You seem to have taken offense at my cursing to myself after we beat a very decent team on their home court, and drop a spot.

Don't let it upset you. I'm an old fart. I curse at a lot of things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
            What is great though is we are #9 and have been no where near our potential.
            Great point!

FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• 60Shock - I didn't mean for that to be directed only at you. Seems like half of the people on this board seem to be upset about our ranking when compared to the recent results of other teams above us in the polls. Of course it's subjective. I do think we've made a good case for # 9. I actually think TCU is about right at 15. My point is that for every team ahead of us that some on here think seem to be ranked too high, there is one behind us who could make an equally compelling argument.

Top 10 and highest ranked team with more than one loss is good. We have some good wins but no great wins at this point in the season. When we get to full strength later in the year we can make a case to move up as long as we're taking care of business. I'm not trying to start a big argument so I'm going to bow out now, but put me on record as someone who thinks the pollsters have been more than fair this year.

Comment

I haven’t investigated each teams losses carefully, but we’ve lost to #7 and #28. We’ve defeated #26 in a true road game and we were a possession or free throw from a win over #28 Notre Dame. #3 Nova lost their game to a Butler who doesn’t show up in the Top 35. Also #12 North Carolina lost one of their two at home to a Wofford who is probably not a Top 100 team.

Comment

• The problem we face is that we have 2 losses. A third loss any time soon will send us back into the teens I think.

Comment

• Not sure if you guys have seen the spreads in the voting, but it appears that the pollsters are all over the place. Aside from MSU and Nova, the diffence between the highest and lowest ranking is at least 11 for every team on the top 10. At least one voter has every team outside of the top 15 not ranked.

Comment

• Originally posted by VuShox07 View Post
                      If we can't blow out UH this coming up game then just forget about the ranking
                      On notice.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

TCU was a horrible example. Horrible. They need to prove they can win a road game.. ANY road game first.

These fans with newer join dates are certainly not sunshine pumpers.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

60Shock - I didn't mean for that to be directed only at you. Seems like half of the people on this board seem to be upset about our ranking when compared to the recent results of other teams above us in the polls. Of course it's subjective. I do think we've made a good case for # 9. I actually think TCU is about right at 15. My point is that for every team ahead of us that some on here think seem to be ranked too high, there is one behind us who could make an equally compelling argument.

Top 10 and highest ranked team with more than one loss is good. We have some good wins but no great wins at this point in the season. When we get to full strength later in the year we can make a case to move up as long as we're taking care of business. I'm not trying to start a big argument so I'm going to bow out now, but put me on record as someone who thinks the pollsters have been more than fair this year.

Who the hell has said that they are upset with our ranking?

You're trying to flap on water but instead are sinking like a rock. Let's try not to blurt out stuff that's not true the next time you feel the need to make a point that WSU isn't that good.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

TCU was a horrible example. Horrible. They need to prove they can win a road game.. ANY road game first.

These fans with newer join dates are certainly not sunshine pumpers.
                            Don’t put all the newbies in a box. Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Slykryck View Post

Don’t put all the newbies in a box. Lol
                              No doubt. Please exclude yourself.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                              X