2017-18 National Poll Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
    The excuse-train for lowering our ranking is leaving the station. And it's only August. All-Aboard!!
    While I see where you are coming from, I consider a top 10 ranking for a Shocker team whose best player has a repeat injury concern to be a healthy level of respect for what this program has become.

Comment

• I don;t know what the criteria is for a repeat injury but I don't see LS injury as a repeat type of deal. Now Austin is a different matter

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
        While I see where you are coming from, I consider a top 10 ranking for a Shocker team whose best player has a repeat injury concern to be a healthy level of respect for what this program has become.
        I guess I just challenge that they are bumping people up for adding someone that has never played a college game in their life, then turn around and drop WSU because a player is going to miss the offseason and possibly no games at all ...

Comment

• What JH4P is saying is WSU is still in the top 10. That's top 10 with their best player injured right now. That's still a ton of respect. WSU isnt a blue blood so we all should expect those types of changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
            What JH4P is saying is WSU is still in the top 10. That's top 10 with their best player injured right now. That's still a ton of respect. WSU isnt a blue blood so we all should expect those types of changes.
            Settling for table scraps because it's what one expects in one's station is a sad way to approach life.

Also note, it's still August. My guess is WSU will not remain Top 10 in his ballot come November. There will be more things that happen across the national landscape that will have unknown impact to the coming year but will naturally be viewed as a detriment to WSU.

Comment

• The awesome early predictions have been better than I ever remember thus far. The end game of the Shocks will be what matters the most. Better to deal with injuries now, not then.
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                I guess I just challenge that they are bumping people up for adding someone that has never played a college game in their life...
                The 3 best players on the 2012 National Championship team were all "someone that has never played a college game in their life" prior to that season.
                Same for 4 of the top 5 players on the 2015 Champs' roster.
                The 2011 Champs had 2 star Freshman as well.
                The list goes on and on, and don't even get me started if you look beyond championships and expand to Final Four teams.

Every year, Freshman have a huge impact on top 10 type teams. The "he has never played a game of D1 in his life" argument, as a way to minimize a highly touted player's likely immediate impact, is silly.
                Last edited by Jamar Howard 4 President; August 18, 2017, 10:00 AM.

Comment

The 3 best players on the 2012 National Championship team were all "someone that has never played a college game in their life" prior to that season.
                  Same for 4 of the top 5 players on the 2015 Champs' roster.
                  The 2011 Champs had 2 star Freshman as well.
                  The list goes on and on, and don't even get me started if you look beyond championships and expand to Final Four teams.

Every year, Freshman have a huge impact on top 10 type teams. The "he has never played a game of D1 in his life" argument, as a way to minimize a highly touted player's likely immediate impact, is silly.
                  I noticed you left out the best Player in each of the last two years

Comment

I think you are right. Also, it has to be said, most of what is happening with writers before the season starts is finding reasons to reshuffle their top twenty-five predictions so that they have new content that readers will be motivated to access and discuss. Not really that big a deal.
                    The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                      I noticed you left out the best Player in each of the last two years
                      I don't understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                        Settling for table scraps because it's what one expects in one's station is a sad way to approach life.

Also note, it's still August. My guess is WSU will not remain Top 10 in his ballot come November. There will be more things that happen across the national landscape that will have unknown impact to the coming year but will naturally be viewed as a detriment to WSU.
                        How is being happy that they are still a top 10 team settling for table scraps? There are over 350 men's D1 teams. Just a handful of times in history has WSU finished in the top 10. Im not even sure it is more than 3 without digging. The best player is hurt. That would have dropped anyone in a preseason poll.

And media bias is nothing new. Thats why they play the games.

Comment

• Blue Ribbon has their preseason poll and All-American picks out.
                          Shocks clock in at #7

Landry listed as 4th team AA.

Arizona tops Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook’s preseason Top 25. The Wildcats of coach Sean Miller barely edged out Michigan State for the top spot in the “bible” of college basketball’s 37th annual rankings. “This was a close one,” Blue Ribbon editor and publisher Chris Dortch said. “Both Arizona and Michigan State were worthy No. 1 candidates, and a strong case could have been made for Duke and Kansas, too. But in the final analysis, our writers and editors liked the size and experience Arizona can put on the floor.” Duke and Kansas are No. 3 and 4 in the poll, and Kentucky rounds out the Top 25. The Atlantic Coast Conference leads all conferences with six teams in the rankings, and for the second consecutive year, the West Coast Conference is represented by its two stalwarts, Gonzaga and Saint Mary’s. Blue Ribbon announced its five-man preseason All-America team a month ago—JOCK LANDALE of Saint Mary’s, ETHAN HAPP of Wisconsin, MICHAEL PORTER, JR. of Missouri, BONZIE COLSON of Notre Dame and GRAYSON ALLEN of Duke. In addition, Colson was voted the publication’s preseason national player of the year, and Porter was chosen national newcomer of the year, and Blue Ribbon released its second, third and fourth-team All-Americans. Blue Ribbon’s 37th edition—in perfect bound, spiral bound or tablet version—can be ordered at blueribbonyearbook.com. BLUE RIBBON COLLEGE BASKETBALL YEARBOOK PRESEASON TOP 25 Arizona Michigan State Duke Kansas Kentucky Louisville Wichita State Florida West Virginia North Carolina USC Villanova Cincinnati Purdue Seton Hall Miami Saint Mary’s Minnesota Notre Dame Gonzaga Xavier UCLA Northwestern Alabama Virginia Tech NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR MICHAEL PORTER, JR. • 6-10 FR, Missouri PLAYER OF THE YEAR BONZIE COLSON • 6-5 SR, Notre Dame 2017-18 BLUE RIBBON ALL-AMERICA TEAMS FIRST TEAM JOCK LANDALE 6-11 SR, Saint Mary’s ETHAN HAPP 6-10 JR, Wisconsin MICHAEL PORTER, JR. 6-10, FR, Missouri BONZIE COLSON 6-6 SR, Notre Dame GRAYSON ALLEN 6-5 SR, Duke SECOND TEAM MARVIN BAGLEY III 6-11 FR, Duke MILES BRIDGES 6-7 SO, Michigan State ALLONZO TRIER 6-5 JR, Arizona JOEL BERRY II 6-0 SR, North Carolina DEVONTE GRAHAM 6-2 SR, Kansas THIRD TEAM DEANDRE AYTON 7-1 FR, Arizona YANTE MATEN 6-8 SR, Georgia TREVON BLUIETT 6-6 SR, Xavier JEVON CARTER 6-2 SR, West Virginia JALEN BRUNSON 6-2 JR, Villanova FOURTH TEAM ROBERT WILLIAMS 6-10 SO, Texas A&M ANGEL DELGADO 6-10 SR, Seton Hall GARY CLARK 6-8 SR, Cincinnati HAMIDOU DIALLO 6-5 R-FR, Kentucky LANDRY SHAMET 6-4 SO, Wichita State  

I love Blue Ribbon. Best basketball reference out there.

Comment

• Looking at that list, I am filled with rage at the missed opportunities and the stacked decks we've run into against the other teams near the top:

1. Beat 'em.
                            2. I'd pay real money to face them any time other than the first week of the season.
                            3. I'd pay real money to face them. Too bad they can't seem to find their way outside of Durham until January every year.
                            4. 2-0 against them in the tourney.
                            5. 0-2 against them by a grand total of 5 points, and they've somehow convinced me to hate their fans more than #4 (not the school, no chance of THAT happening, just the fans)
                            6. Double foul - Karl Hess' crowning achievement. I'm moderately surprised he didn't get an NBA gig after that performance.
                            8. I'd love to beat them just to make Jenn Bates cry.
                            9. I'd love to beat them just to see Huggy sweat through that track suit.
                            10. You want to know how I know there is no justice in this world? Because if there was, that waste of oxygen coach - who was complicit in absolutely everything the university is under investigation for right now - would be forced to walk out of the tunnel in Koch Arena with that team and face the fanbase he screwed over in the Maurice Evans drama face-to-angry-faces. Instead, he's going to fall on his sword for Chapel Hill and be lionized there because of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyShock View Post
                              Looking at that list, I am filled with rage at the missed opportunities and the stacked decks we've run into against the other teams near the top:

1. Beat 'em.
                              2. I'd pay real money to face them any time other than the first week of the season.
                              3. I'd pay real money to face them. Too bad they can't seem to find their way outside of Durham until January every year.
                              4. 2-0 against them in the tourney.
                              5. 0-2 against them by a grand total of 5 points, and they've somehow convinced me to hate their fans more than #4 (not the school, no chance of THAT happening, just the fans)
                              6. Double foul - Karl Hess' crowning achievement. I'm moderately surprised he didn't get an NBA gig after that performance.
                              8. I'd love to beat them just to make Jenn Bates cry.
                              9. I'd love to beat them just to see Huggy sweat through that track suit.
                              10. You want to know how I know there is no justice in this world? Because if there was, that waste of oxygen coach - who was complicit in absolutely everything the university is under investigation for right now - would be forced to walk out of the tunnel in Koch Arena with that team and face the fanbase he screwed over in the Maurice Evans drama face-to-angry-faces. Instead, he's going to fall on his sword for Chapel Hill and be lionized there because of it.
                              You are bringing it today! Good job.

Comment

• Fansided Top 25 comes out tomorrow. Sounds like their #1 might turn some heads.

Comment

Working...
                                X