• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
    "2017-2018 NCAA Basketball Preseason Top 25" - How They Play

by dmrlowd
    Updated on July 20, 2017

"Last season's NCAA Tournament was as competitive and enjoyable as it has ever been, but the gap between what can be referred to as college basketball's 7 power conferences and the other 25 appears to be getting larger, with the mass migration of high end graduate transfers to those power conferences being an emerging factor. Although a team from outside that group did play in the Championship game, that team, Gonzaga, was the only one from outside of the power conferences to advance as far as the Sweet 16, and the title was ultimately won by a blue blood. Overall, last year's Tournament saw only 3 teams from outside the power conferences receive at large berths; with Wichita St. moving to the AAC and the WCC being hit hard by graduation and NBA departures, that trend is likely to continue. Some proponents of the power conferences (Jay Bilas at ESPN, for example) have been against the presence of many of the smaller conferences in Division I and in the NCAA Tournament for years (there were 352 Division I teams last season including Grand Canyon, which admittedly might be a little out of control); as the competitive balance continues to degrade, they may eventually get their wish. With Gonzaga likely facing a down year (they should still be a NCAA Tournament team, just not a top 25 team), here's a quick glance at some of the teams to beat heading into the season, almost completely devoid of small conference representation....

1. Michigan State Spartans

2. Wichita State Shockers

2016-2017: 31-5, 17-1 in the MVC; lost to Kentucky in the NCAA Round of 32

Preseason Projection: National Runner-Up

Departures: Daishon Smith (4.8 ppg., 38.4% 3pt.)

Gregg Marshall's Shockers return every major contributor except backup point guard Daishon Smith, who should be capably replaced by a similar junior college recruit in Samajae Haynes-Jones. The most important development should come from sophomore point guard Landry Shamet, who seemingly came out of nowhere as a redshirt freshman to adequately and impressively replace Fred VanVleet. Shamet (11.4 ppg., 43.9% 3pt.) provides the team with a clutch shooter and he's tremendously efficient with the basketball (he posted a 3 to 1 assist to turnover ratio; the team finished 14th). The team will have plenty of shooting (8th in 3pt% last season) and size, and will of course play outstanding defense (4th in fg% defense, 19th in 3pt.% defense, and 2nd in rebounding margin). The Shockers should also benefit from the improved competition their move to the AAC will bring, which will make them that much more ready to compete by March. Marshall has taken Wichita St. to at least the second round and as far as the Final Four over the past five seasons, and this could be his best team to date.

3. USC Trojans
    4. Virginia Cavaliers
    5. Louisville Cardinals
    6. Arizona Wildcats
    7. Villanova Wildcats
    8. Kentucky Wildcats
    9. Texas A&M Aggies
    10. Duke Blue Devils..."

I'm not seeing the following sequence of letters in this list: "k-a-n-s-a-s"
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Right now, I am amazed just how high ranked we are early on by the experts and this is as juicy as I have ever seen it in my memory. Even though we will be really good, there could be some bumps along the way. Even so, I predict our beloved Shocks will maintain a top 15 status most if not all Season. We should be better equipped early on to beat solid teams than last Season when early matches versus Michigan State and Louisville happened as we were finding our niche without Smooth and Bake.

It appeared to me the conversion of CF at the 2 and LS at the 1 slots was a healthy move by Gregg Marshall and paid nice dividends for us. It is not so much how high the Shocks are ranked now but think about just how sweet things would be if we finish with a big winning streak towards the end of the Season as last Season, but get so hot we just keep winning at the Dance. With 6 Seniors, the tripod leadership of MM, Shaq, and LS, combined with CF laser sharp outside shooting, ZB being better than ever on D-fense, and even better quality depth that last Season, I have my toes and fingers crossed for a nice ending to this developing Shocker Season to come.
      Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

by dmrlowd
        Updated on July 20, 2017

"Last season's NCAA Tournament was as competitive and enjoyable as it has ever been, but the gap between what can be referred to as college basketball's 7 power conferences and the other 25 appears to be getting larger, with the mass migration of high end graduate transfers to those power conferences being an emerging factor. Although a team from outside that group did play in the Championship game, that team, Gonzaga, was the only one from outside of the power conferences to advance as far as the Sweet 16, and the title was ultimately won by a blue blood. Overall, last year's Tournament saw only 3 teams from outside the power conferences receive at large berths; with Wichita St. moving to the AAC and the WCC being hit hard by graduation and NBA departures, that trend is likely to continue. Some proponents of the power conferences (Jay Bilas at ESPN, for example) have been against the presence of many of the smaller conferences in Division I and in the NCAA Tournament for years (there were 352 Division I teams last season including Grand Canyon, which admittedly might be a little out of control); as the competitive balance continues to degrade, they may eventually get their wish. With Gonzaga likely facing a down year (they should still be a NCAA Tournament team, just not a top 25 team), here's a quick glance at some of the teams to beat heading into the season, almost completely devoid of small conference representation....

Gregg Marshall's Shockers return every major contributor except backup point guard Daishon Smith, who should be capably replaced by a similar junior college recruit in Samajae Haynes-Jones. The most important development should come from sophomore point guard Landry Shamet, who seemingly came out of nowhere as a redshirt freshman to adequately and impressively replace Fred VanVleet. Shamet (11.4 ppg., 43.9% 3pt.) provides the team with a clutch shooter and he's tremendously efficient with the basketball (he posted a 3 to 1 assist to turnover ratio; the team finished 14th). The team will have plenty of shooting (8th in 3pt% last season) and size, and will of course play outstanding defense (4th in fg% defense, 19th in 3pt.% defense, and 2nd in rebounding margin). The Shockers should also benefit from the improved competition their move to the AAC will bring, which will make them that much more ready to compete by March. Marshall has taken Wichita St. to at least the second round and as far as the Final Four over the past five seasons, and this could be his best team to date.

3. USC Trojans
        4. Virginia Cavaliers
        5. Louisville Cardinals
        6. Arizona Wildcats
        7. Villanova Wildcats
        8. Kentucky Wildcats
        9. Texas A&M Aggies
        10. Duke Blue Devils..."
        Just reading this gives me goosebumps. The season can't get here fast enough. Can't wait!

Comment

• I tend to be rather pessimistic, so I'm worried about how excited I am about this season. The last time I was this excited about the season ahead, Fred and Landry went down, Grady scared the life out of me, and the season seemed torturous after that tournament. Of course, by the time we got Fred back, our non con was over and the valley was gawd awful so that entire season was terrible and fairly meaningless until tournament time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
            I tend to be rather pessimistic, so I'm worried about how excited I am about this season. The last time I was this excited about the season ahead, Fred and Landry went down, Grady scared the life out of me, and the season seemed torturous after that tournament. Of course, by the time we got Fred back, our non con was over and the valley was gawd awful so that entire season was terrible and fairly meaningless until tournament time.
            Yeah, sort of the "We look to be good this season. Wait, this is too good to be true, isn't it?" thing. Of course, many of those fears have been alleviated by the end of the season in the past few years, so maybe that feeling is unfounded.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

by dmrlowd
              Updated on July 20, 2017

3. USC Trojans
              4. Virginia Cavaliers
              5. Louisville Cardinals
              6. Arizona Wildcats
              7. Villanova Wildcats
              8. Kentucky Wildcats
              9. Texas A&M Aggies
              10. Duke Blue Devils..."
              wait a minute.. texas a&m??

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                wait a minute.. texas a&m??
                Gee, if only they were still in the Big 12-2, they might be able to end The Flagship's streak.

Lots of Wildcats in there, too, although none from Manhattan.

Comment

• ESPN computers say we're #1! http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...mer-bpi-update

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                    Will be fun to watch all the ESPN folks vote for WSU at #15-20 in the polls. Not a lot of faith in their own metric, methinks. Unless it supports their own candidate.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                      Mid Major?
                      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• How can we still be considered a mid major? We are in the p6!
                        Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

• Oklahoma at #8 and TCU at #9 is interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                            Will be fun to watch all the ESPN folks vote for WSU at #15-20 in the polls. Not a lot of faith in their own metric, methinks. Unless it supports their own candidate.
                            We'll see, but I doubt they're going to be so skeptical now that the Shocks have escaped the Valley.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                              We'll see, but I doubt they're going to be so skeptical now that the Shocks have escaped the Valley.
                              Which, again, is it's own form of stupidity.

IT'S LITERALLY THE SAME TEAM

Comment

• The Shox need to finally show in Maui. Seems like we've fallen short lately in our recent chances against quality non con opponents in our early season tourneys.

Time to bring one of these titles home. If we do that, I think we can maintain a top 10 ranking throughout the year. Losses in the AAC wouldnt be as harmful, so we need to backup our high ranking early and maintain.

We need to come out blasting everyone!
                                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Working...
                                X