2017-18 National Poll Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
    You do realize there are only 2 active coaches who have won multiple NCs?
    K
    Roy
    Pitino (at least for now)
    78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
      I can't describe the joy it brings me that Roy Williams was objectively a worse coach at KU than Bill Self and has then gone on to win three championships at North Carolina. Roy under performed severely with a couple of those teams at KU. As in, almost certainly he had the best team in the country and failed to get it done in March.

And now he's got three championships to his name. That's gotta ruffle some feathers.
      UNC has always facilitated a higher level of basketball than what's available up North. Roy knew that. That's why he went back to ACC country.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
        We agree here. I'd put GGG, Coach K, and Calipari (among others) in front of him. No shame there.
        Audacious to put 3G ahead of him at this point in his career. Yes, he's beaten him in their only matchup but Self is still far ahead of 3G in accolades. Not saying Marshall couldn't still outcoach Self, but there's still plenty of ground to cover before Self could be ranked behind Coach M

Comment

• Originally posted by SlyShock View Post
          Audacious to put 3G ahead of him at this point in his career. Yes, he's beaten him in their only matchup but Self is still far ahead of 3G in accolades. Not saying Marshall couldn't still outcoach Self, but there's still plenty of ground to cover before Self could be ranked behind Coach M
          I believe Wichita St. has the better coach right now. Head-to-head he left the Rug mumbling and red-faced.

Comment

• Discover topics like reaction gif, sports, Funny, and the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like ArcticDragon0.
            78-65

Comment

Coach K
              Roy Williams
              Rick Pitino

That's three.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                Coach K
                Roy Williams
                Rick Pitino

That's three.
                Maybe he's not counting Pitino due to the impending title strip.
                78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                  Love that clip!
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Thanks for a wonderful start to my lunch break!
                    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Perhaps a better metric should be "Final Fours Made". 31 coaches have made more than 2 F4s (# for Self). 7 are still active.

Then, compare that to all seedings given and compare those seedings to level of success in the Dance for all coaches that have made a Final Four and have at least a certain minimum number of F4 appearances.

While all this is above my pay grade, I'm thinking that the results won't be kind to Self.

I do believe certain schools (conferences) get more "benefit" than others when it comes to seedings, regardless how fair those committees say they are, even if they believe they believe they're fair.

Comment

K
                        Roy
                        Pitino (at least for now)
                        Originally posted by wufan View Post
                        Coach K
                        Roy Williams
                        Rick Pitino

That's three.
                        Thanks, I missed Rick. 2 different schools thing led me to forget him.

Comment

• nm

Comment

• Originally posted by SlyShock View Post
                            I would have Self ahead of 3G at this point in time, but...

I'd want 3G as my team's coach going forward...not even a question. One coach consistently under-performs in the big dance while the other one consistently over-performs. I like 3G to win 2 'Ships before Self wins his second.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
                              I would have Self ahead of 3G at this point in time, but...

I'd want 3G as my team's coach going forward...not even a question. One coach consistently under-performs in the big dance while the other one consistently over-performs. I like 3G to win 2 'Ships before Self wins his second.
                              Perhaps they aren't over and under-performing, respectively.

Perhaps the national perception of their expected level of performance is wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                                Perhaps a better metric should be "Final Fours Made". 31 coaches have made more than 2 F4s (# for Self). 7 are still active.

Then, compare that to all seedings given and compare those seedings to level of success in the Dance for all coaches that have made a Final Four and have at least a certain minimum number of F4 appearances.

While all this is above my pay grade, I'm thinking that the results won't be kind to Self.

I do believe certain schools (conferences) get more "benefit" than others when it comes to seedings, regardless how fair those committees say they are, even if they believe they believe they're fair.
                                Over the past 14 seasons, Self has:
                                - Most regular season success (by pretty much any metric)
                                - Most NCAA Tournament wins (33)
                                - 2nd most round of 32 appearances (12)
                                - Tied for most Sweet 16 appearances (9)
                                - 3rd most Elite 8 appearances (5)

So there are 7 active coaches with 3 or more Final Four appearances. So what? Are you going to place Jim Boeheim (also just 1 NC and significantly more bad years mixed in) or Ben Howland (0 NCs) above Bill Self overall? I doubt it. See, even using Final Fours, or NC appearances, or NCs, Self ends up pretty darn high on the list.

Unless you want to limit the list of current "great" coaches to about 2-3, Self pretty much has to be on the list.

Comment

Working...
                                X