No announcement yet.

2017-18 National Poll Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've accused mini of being a downer, but the idea that WSU might "win out" the AAC -- I assume that means go unbeaten in the league? -- is pretty bold. I've been called a sunshine pumper plenty of times, and even I'm not expecting that to occur. Too many potential pitfalls against quality opponents, although none should be impossible to overcome.

Having said that, I agree that WSU should be highly ranked to begin and, if healthy -- a key point, as we saw two years ago when FVV, Shamet, and Grady all went down for varying but significant periods -- is likely to stay that way, and to be a genuine national championship contender. Hard to call that anything but magical.

Comment

• Originally posted by mini-shock View Post
      I recognize your purposeful attempts to insert KU into anything you quote me with. I understand and find it quite fun. Others may not. They just see you intentionally and desperately bringing KU into the conversation. They may not understand it's your elementary-school-level troll.
      It'd be hard to top the last 5 years like I stated earlier, and to which you replied. Is this year astronomically different? I even cited some examples of high level success.

#ChokingChickens (that was for you mini-hawk)

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
        I've accused mini of being a downer, but the idea that WSU might "win out" the AAC -- I assume that means go unbeaten in the league? -- is pretty bold. I've been called a sunshine pumper plenty of times, and even I'm not expecting that to occur. Too many potential pitfalls against quality opponents, although none should be impossible to overcome.

Having said that, I agree that WSU should be highly ranked to begin and, if healthy -- a key point, as we saw two years ago when FVV, Shamet, and Grady all went down for varying but significant periods -- is likely to stay that way, and to be a genuine national championship contender. Hard to call that anything but magical.
        Yeah, it would be spectacular if we go unbeaten. But I just meant win the league (as in get the most W's in conference play). But hell, if my aspirations are to win the NCAA, might as well throw unbeaten in the AAC in there.

Comment

• "Mizzou ranked #24 in college basketball's updated preseason Top 25 for the 2017-18 season" - USA TODAY Sports

by Scott Gleeson
          9:10 AM. CDT June 05, 2017

"Perhaps more than any other offseason, the forecast for which college basketball team will be No. 1 in the preseason top 25 is ridiculously unclear. Yet with NBA draft decisions finalized and top-tier recruits picking their schools, the picture looks much clearer than it did in April after North Carolina cut down the nets. Which teams make it to San Antonio for the Final Four? Here's a look at the updated preseason top 25 for 2017-18 here in late May:

1. Arizona (32-5 in 2016-17)
          2. Michigan State (20-15)
          3. Duke (28-9)

4. Wichita State (31-5)

Yes, a former "mid-major" is in the top five. Get used to it. The American Athletic Conference, Wichita State's new home, isn't exactly a power conference yet. But the Shockers' 2017-18 roster is as powerful as it gets. Virtually everyone is back from a 31-win team that was top-10 in KenPom efficiency and had Kentucky on the ropes with a Sweet 16 trip on the line. In that game, freshman Landry Shamet showed flashes of what’s to come while going up against Kentucky’s NBA-bound freshmen. With a year under his belt running the point, Shamet should transform into an All-American-caliber player. Leading scorer Markis McDuffie, big men Darral Willis Jr. and Shaquille Morris, sharpshooter Conner Frankamp and utility man Zach Brown all return for an ambitious season.

5. Kansas (31-5)
          6. Kentucky (32-6)
          7. Florida (27-9)
          8. Southern California (26-10)
          9. Louisville (25-9)
          10. Villanova (32-4)..."

Comment

• I like it. I agree with that list totally.

Comment

• "Sporting News releases preseason Top 25 for 2017" - 247 Sports

by Brad Crawford
              Posted 06/05/17 - 6:42am

Sporting News recently released its preseason Top 25 for the 2017-18 college basketball season and it's much different than most would expect. With reigning champion North

10. Minnesota Golden Gophers

9. Wichita State Shockers
              Sporting News: "Think about this: The Shockers were outstanding this year, rolling up a 31-5 record and pushing No. 2 seed Kentucky to the brink in the second round of the NCAA Tournament, and everybody’s back for Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall. The challenge of switching conferences, from the Missouri Valley to the American Athletic, might lead to an extra loss or two, but don’t be surprised if the Shockers claim the AAC title in their first year in the league."

8. Villanova Wildcats
              7. Florida Gators
              6. Louisville Cardinals
              5. Kansas Jayhawks
              4. Kentucky Wildcats
              3. Duke Blue Devils
              2. Michigan State Spartans
              1. Arizona Wildcats

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                "Mizzou ranked #24 in college basketball's updated preseason Top 25 for the 2017-18 season" - USA TODAY Sports

by Scott Gleeson
                9:10 AM. CDT June 05, 2017

"Perhaps more than any other offseason, the forecast for which college basketball team will be No. 1 in the preseason top 25 is ridiculously unclear. Yet with NBA draft decisions finalized and top-tier recruits picking their schools, the picture looks much clearer than it did in April after North Carolina cut down the nets. Which teams make it to San Antonio for the Final Four? Here's a look at the updated preseason top 25 for 2017-18 here in late May:

1. Arizona (32-5 in 2016-17)
                2. Michigan State (20-15)
                3. Duke (28-9)

4. Wichita State (31-5)

Yes, a former "mid-major" is in the top five. Get used to it. The American Athletic Conference, Wichita State's new home, isn't exactly a power conference yet. But the Shockers' 2017-18 roster is as powerful as it gets. Virtually everyone is back from a 31-win team that was top-10 in KenPom efficiency and had Kentucky on the ropes with a Sweet 16 trip on the line. In that game, freshman Landry Shamet showed flashes of what’s to come while going up against Kentucky’s NBA-bound freshmen. With a year under his belt running the point, Shamet should transform into an All-American-caliber player. Leading scorer Markis McDuffie, big men Darral Willis Jr. and Shaquille Morris, sharpshooter Conner Frankamp and utility man Zach Brown all return for an ambitious season.

5. Kansas (31-5)
                6. Kentucky (32-6)
                7. Florida (27-9)
                8. Southern California (26-10)
                9. Louisville (25-9)
                10. Villanova (32-4)..."
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                  I like it. I agree with that list totally.
                  👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
                  SHOCKERS & AWE

"Go Ahead, Try To Jinx Us" ~ The Monsters Of The Midwest

"Wichita State fans bring the noise to another level. The roar
                  gets into your skull, giving you a mild case of vertigo."

Comment

• "Preseason NCAA Basketball Rankings 2017-18: Updated Top 25" - Bleacher Report

by Kerry Miller
                    06/09/17

Michigan State and Kansas met in the second round of the 2017 NCAA tournament, but they currently occupy the top two spots in our still-early rankings for the 2017-18 college basketball season...

"...10. USC Trojans
                    9. West Virginia Mountaineers

8. Wichita State Shockers

Previous Rank: No. 6

Significant Changes from Expectations: Changed conferences

Projected Starting 5: Landry Shamet, Conner Frankamp, Zach Brown, Markis McDuffie, Shaquille Morris

Save for Daishon Smith and Eric Hamilton transferring out of the program—neither of which was playing much late in the season anyway—the only development worth reporting in Wichita State's offseason is its transition from the Missouri Valley Conference to the American Athletic Conference.

Based on how things went down with the NCAA selection committee last year, who can blame the Shockers? They went 30-4 prior to Selection Sunday and won most of their games by a double-digit margin, yet they were given a measly No. 10 seed because of the level of competition they faced for the final two months of the season.

Now, instead of beating up on the likes of Drake, Bradley and Evansville, Wichita State will get to prove its mettle by facing Cincinnati, Connecticut, SMU and others.

But that move did next to nothing to alter our lofty expectations for a team bringing back each of its eight leading scorers from last season—six of which will be seniors. After averaging 29.7 wins over the past seven years, maybe the Shockers only win 24-26 games during the regular season this year. That's still promising enough for a spot in the top 10, though.

7. Arizona Wildcats
                    6. Louisville Cardinals
                    5. Kentucky Wildcats
                    4. Duke Blue Devils
                    3. Villanova Wildcats
                    2. Kansas Jayhawks
                    1. Michigan State Spartans"

Comment

• "2017-18 College Basketball Preseason Top 25: Post Early Entry Deadline" - NBC Sports

By Rob Dauster
                      Jun 8, 2017, 10:00 AM EDT

1. Michigan State
                      2. Arizona
                      3. Kansas
                      4. Kentucky
                      5. Duke
                      6. Miami
                      7. Florida
                      8. Louisville
                      9. Villanova

10. Wichita State

• Previous rank: 11
                      • Who’s gone: No one
                      • Who do they add: Samajae Haynes-Jones, Asbjorn Midtgaard
                      • Projected starting lineup: Landry Shamet, Connor Frankamp, Zach Brown, Markis McDuffie, Shaq Morris
                      • The Shockers finished the season ranked in the top ten at KenPom, but ended up with a No. 10 seed in the NCAA tournament because they struggled to get used to each other early on in the season. With everyone returning from last year’s team, don’t be surprised to see Gregg Marshall’s team as a Final Four contender...."

Comment

• Poor Daishon Smith. He certainly meant more to that team than a 'no one.' I hope he finds success at his next stop.

Comment

• "College Hotline: College basketball revised top 25 for the 2017-18 season (Louisville is no longer No. 1)" - The Mercury News

By Jon Wilner
                          June 12, 2017 at 6:00 am

The updated top-25 rankings, revised in the wake of NBA Draft decisions, feature a new No. 1 and significant shuffling elsewhere.The Pac-12 has two top-10 teams. One, not surprisingly, is Arizona. …

"The draft dust has settled, the transfer market is quiet, the coaching carousel is slowing — your move, Butler — and a wee bit of clarity has emerged.

Gonzaga isn’t preseason top three anymore.

Michigan State isn’t preseason non-top three anymore.

Maybe Louisville shouldn’t be favored in the ACC.

Maybe Kansas shouldn’t be favored in the Big 12.

(Just making sure you’re paying attention.)

With that …

10. Minnesota (previous: 9)
                          9. Louisville (previous: 1)
                          8. Kansas (previous: 10)
                          7. USC (previous: 1)
                          6. Duke (previous: 8)
                          5. Kentucky (previous: 7)
                          4. Villanova (previous: 4)
                          3. Arizona (previous: 6)

2. Wichita State (previous: 2). Everyone’s back from a team that pushed Kentucky to the brink in the round of 32. Move to the American will simply serve to toughen and sharpen the Shockers for the NCAAs.

1. Michigan State (previous: 5)..."

Comment

"College Hotline: College basketball revised top 25 for the 2017-18 season (Louisville is no longer No. 1)" - The Mercury News

By Jon Wilner

The updated top-25 rankings, revised in the wake of NBA Draft decisions, feature a new No. 1 and significant shuffling elsewhere.The Pac-12 has two top-10 teams. One, not surprisingly, is Arizona. …

"The draft dust has settled, the transfer market is quiet, the coaching carousel is slowing — your move, Butler — and a wee bit of clarity has emerged.

With that …

2. Wichita State (previous: 2). Everyone’s back from a team that pushed Kentucky to the brink in the round of 32. Move to the American will simply serve to toughen and sharpen the Shockers for the NCAAs.

From that article, I thought this was kinda funny:

15. Cincinnati (previous: 18). Top scorer Jacob Evans and Kyle Washington lead what should be the best team in the American that didn’t just join the American.

"It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Wilner has been a pretty strong WSU advocate in recent years. And he has an AP vote. I'm guessing he puts his money where his mouth is, come polling time.

Comment

"College Hotline: College basketball revised top 25 for the 2017-18 season (Louisville is no longer No. 1)" - The Mercury News

By Jon Wilner

With that …

if you were to link that to the aac board, they would say it must be the work of a shocker fan, why, ranking an mvc team (until july 1) that high. lol

'can't wait to get a hold of them. you know the story "wichita state, well coached team, obviously, but lacking the true athletes because they come from the rollover mvc." .. the dunkathon is now on and coming to a theater near you..
                                Last edited by another shocker; June 12, 2017, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X